When "IT" happens (what ever IT may be)

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by ShawnDow, Sep 25, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

As you know, that band would cover 144 - 148 mhz

just putting that out there for the others..
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Ham, or CB, radios won't do me any good. Got no way to power them! If I could create power, it wouldn't be enough to do anything with. I might could listen, but not broadcast futher that down the road.
  3. soundguy

solar cell and battery would do it... doesn't even have to be a big cell.. could be a small sell scavenged off of some solar appliance in correct votlage range. ( electric fence charger, electric gate opener.. rv charger, car bat maintainer.. etc... )

cb or ham antenna mounted in a tree top should hit some decent range.
  4. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Member

I have given this some thought and I'm a fairly mechanically competent man. So my idea is that OLD diesels ran with a carb and mechanical fuel pump, had a valve in fuel line and had to run outta fuel to shut off. Older non computer vehicles(<<<<<avatar) could theoretically run on it or a blend of gas and diesel to thin and give lower ignition temp. The hardest part would be startin em without a battery. Mines an old 4 speed just have to get it to a hill thats long enough and run it down it till it hits. Without a turbo on it the cylinder pressure shouldn't blow the heads off (80's chevy 350 diesels had a few). You would be ok till you ran outta fuel. Now you would also need a mechanical temp gauge and a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Don't want to over heat or run to low or high on pressure.
    Just my thoughts on it.
  5. soundguy

carb? carb makes me think spark ignition... are you talking about an old tvo setup.. perhaps one tht starts on gas and then switches to tvo, diesel or kerosene? or one that has a vaporising carb to strat directly on tvo or kerosene.. those that i have seen are spark ignition...
  6. carver

carver Moderator

If I had a tower 50 feet tall, and was trying to opperate a CB, I might get out to 15 - 20 miles. Might get some skip, but with only a battery, I wouldn't have enough power to talk very far at all. Same thing with the Ham radio, but with cleaner channels, and less interferance I could talk a little further. Radios that "Talk" need a linear to power them up. A cheap linear designed to key up with the final 3 watts from a CB radio, or Ham radio, will give you about 200 watts final output. Now I can talk about 50 miles under ideal conditions.
  7. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

68c15 is some one who I met on here, and have ben to the range with manny times. This is somthing we have talked about.
    Once again will be glad to have ya Shoulder to shoulder.
    And we both train our kids at the range. mine have there own handguns and rifles. the 3 year old and the 5 year old ar the only two in this house who don't.

Try to find some one from on here. you have better odds if you can have some one willing to stand with you.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  8. soundguy

sorry.. but that's mostly incorrect!

I'm a ham operator..

DE Ke4rrd

My mobile rig is a 50w icom 12v unit mounted in my truck. I can work all over this country and beyond. ( with larger antenna ) I have a 'linear' amp as well. with skip.. no problem working stuff 'on the other side'

for cb.. if you have a clear line.. figure a rule of thumb of about 1w per mile depending on what gear the other guy has.

ps.. gear on 12v, and a charged car battery can 'work' quite a bit. 200w drain on a 12v bat is a 16ah deal. cheap walmart car battery will do that for qite a while. PLENTY of talk time. you are acting like you are gonna get 5 words out after you key up the mic... just ain't so.. :) BTDT got the qsl to prove it.. :)

73's
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  9. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Member

I was mainly thinkin of the basics here. You know air flow picks up the fuel then as yer rollin down hill you pop the clutch and eventually you'll get enough heat or pressure to fire. Just purely theoretical. I don't know how well it would work and haven't done that much research on how the early diesels worked. I think Mr. Diesel used a carb, I know he used veggie or peanut oil. This way no spark is needed. I plan on lookin in to it some more.
  10. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Member

Ok after lookin more I realize that after you got a gas to build the heat and pressure nessesary it might work but like I said its theoretical. In other words you'd have to be desperate to try this. If anyone has done somethin similar please let the rest of us know so we can be prepared with a junker and bulk diesel.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

And I've used CB radios since the '70's. Don't know that much about HAM, but there isn't a lot you can tell me about operating CB's that I don't know. I do know that the HAM radios operate on different frequencies than CB. Much cleaner frequencies! Allowing a HAM radio to talk much further than a CB using the same power. What I said was that I would need a linear on a CB to talk further than 15 - 20 miles, with the 3 watt final output. You just stated that you are running a 50 watt output on your HAM radio, and you have the advantage of using much cleaner frequencies than a CB operator would have. You also stated that you have a linear for those times you need to talk a little further! Your "rule of thumb of about 1w per mile" is correct for FIRS radios, but that isn't CB frequencies! I've shot skip, bare foot, with a CB, and 1/4 wave ground plane! So how is it that what I posted was "mostly incorrect"?
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  12. soundguy

i'll call it a (my)misunderstanding of phrasing. with the clarification you just made.. I'd agree with you on the ranges of the cb, pre / post amp.
  13. carver

carver Moderator

Not a problem! It's hard, sometimes, to convey an idea when all you have is the printed word, and I'm not the best at that. Then, sometimes, it's not easy to understand an idea when all you have is the printed word form someone that isn't the best at that! If you, and I, were sitting togeather exchanging ideas, things would go a lot smoother! Maybe that could be arranged! I have a son in Key Largo.
  14. soundguy

key largo.. reminds me of my favorite song. the 'hit' bertie higgins had. I actually had a chance to run sound for bertie and his band of pirates at an outdoor festival a decade back.. neat guy... his ?brother?.. not so much.. :)
  15. 45silverback

45silverback New Member

We're all tough guys 'till the lights really go out. How many of you have had to actually live with what's in front of you? (Current and Ex GI's who actually saw a little can disregard this question)