The Firearms Forum banner

When Plastic Guns Fail .........

3K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  therewolf 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I never have liked the feel of plastic guns. Gimme good 'ole steel guns.

#5 ·
I've fallen a couple times this year. Nasty bruises from each one. I would imagine if I fell that hard, my least worry would be my gun, as the fall would have probably killed me.
I'll stick with the gun that is convienient to carry, cause if it ain't convienient and I ain't carrying it, it's ......ahh you've heard it all before.
Would like to see the agents bruises. ewwhhhhh!

#8 ·
Makes me think twice about my zombie apocalypse loadout…
If I was riding my 4-wheeler after the zombie apocolypse because I had enough gasoline stored to use for several years, and I happened to be fat enough to break my pistol if I fell on it in an awkward position because I had enough food for years to come, then yes, I'd definitely place blame on my shotty-built 'plastic' pistol... Darn...

;)

#9 ·
Been reading that site's articles all night. There's some good stuff there.

#10 ·
Not to worried about my glocks, they're pretty tough. I have a G19 that made it despite being worn by a suicide bomber, pulled it out of the carnage and it shoots great. Beat up, but just fine.

Never cared for the HK's much although I have shot the 2000, it's a nice shooting pistol but not my first choice.

I'd call that a freak accident to the gun. But, it is a pro to having an all steel gun. Even metal ones can be damaged like that too though, just not quite as easily; just remembered my Beretta 92 that was dropped by one of our guys (I was on con leave so my junior had my pistol) on a parachute jump. Destroyed it completely, chewed the backstrap so bad the slide would not move not to mention cracks in a couple other places. It fell roughly 200' or so I believe. Got a new one as it was deadlined forever.

#12 ·
I know, parts gun it is!

Hard to beat a good 1911 (literally too!), I would trade all the Beretta's in world for one nice .45 (sorry beretta 92 fans, I'm a 92 hater thru and thru)

another pro for a steely gun is when it runs outta boo-lits, you can start whacking people with it! Not that a Glock or XD would feel great to the face, but solid metal would be far more effective.

#16 ·
I had a glock that was shot through the grip part of the frame; cut the mushrooming off with a pocket knife, put a Hogue grip over it and used it as my sidearm for 7 months. (battlefield recovery piece)

I like the super glue idea! hahahaa. My 1911 is mad at me right now, cheating on her with my newest Glock, I have to say hello to her at least once a day sitting by herself in the safe.

#17 ·
Im just old school and have nothing against polymer but prefer steel.It makes a pistol whipping more definite with a steel pistol.I backhanded a guy with a 1911 and he wore dentures after that.

#18 ·
Though Im not a huge fan of poly guns, this guy aint telling the whole story. He fell off his ATV? then why does it look like it got ran over by a truck? OK a steel gun would not have snapped but definably not in any condition to be shot.

#20 ·
So?
Metal guns take a licking? All of them?
Tell that to two of my friends back in the day when their Berreta slides failed, remember that?
One failure occured at a practical pistol shoot, witnessed by several people, He was lucky the slide didn't come all the way off.
I don't buy the anti-plastic B.S., it ain't the material per se, it's the engineering and quality control.
If you don't like "plastic" guns, that's fine, but stop the B.S. based on your bias.

#21 ·
So?
Metal guns take a licking? All of them?
Tell that to two of my friends back in the day when their Berreta slides failed, remember that?
One failure occured at a practical pistol shoot, witnessed by several people, He was lucky the slide didn't come all the way off.
I don't buy the anti-plastic B.S., it ain't the material per se, it's the engineering and quality control.
If you don't like "plastic" guns, that's fine, but stop the B.S. based on your bias.
I was in the Marines when we first got the M9's and I saw a slide come off right into a shooters face...not fun and scary to witness. In this case running over a metal gun probably would not have ended up like the pic's posted. I carry a Kel tec so I am not 100% against a plastic gun and I carried a Glock 23 for years as a deputy sheriff. I just prefer a metal framed gun as my 1st choice.

#22 ·
i have seen glocks that were run over by a car with no damage,i have also seen a revolver(metal)have catastrofic failure,the frame bent and the cylinder blew in half.it was my gun...........dont ever let somebody else reload for you.nothing is perfect to some effect were all in gods hands.old semperfi

#24 ·
looks like you're ready for some 3-gun action! I too am a huge fan of the serpa's, I hate Blackhawk as most of their stuff is made in China but if it's not a leather holster, it's most likely a serpa in my collection. Biggest selling point is the cheap cost and the retention.

I use a dropleg (with TLR light added), in those I much prefer the Safariland's with a hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.