When Plastic Guns Fail .........

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by JohnHenry, Aug 13, 2012.

1. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nope. We can't carry in the state of Illinois and if I could it would be my Beretta 92.
  3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Nope, I carry a steel frame wheel gun. That needs to go to the Barbie factory for meltdown and repurposing.
  4. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

I never have liked the feel of plastic guns. Gimme good 'ole steel guns.
  5. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

I've fallen a couple times this year. Nasty bruises from each one. I would imagine if I fell that hard, my least worry would be my gun, as the fall would have probably killed me.
    I'll stick with the gun that is convienient to carry, cause if it ain't convienient and I ain't carrying it, it's ......ahh you've heard it all before.
    Would like to see the agents bruises. ewwhhhhh!
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Nope, my 1911 is tough.
  7. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

Got an older XD, never a lick of problems.
  8. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

If I was riding my 4-wheeler after the zombie apocolypse because I had enough gasoline stored to use for several years, and I happened to be fat enough to break my pistol if I fell on it in an awkward position because I had enough food for years to come, then yes, I'd definitely place blame on my shotty-built 'plastic' pistol... Darn...

;)
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

10. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Not to worried about my glocks, they're pretty tough. I have a G19 that made it despite being worn by a suicide bomber, pulled it out of the carnage and it shoots great. Beat up, but just fine.

Never cared for the HK's much although I have shot the 2000, it's a nice shooting pistol but not my first choice.

I'd call that a freak accident to the gun. But, it is a pro to having an all steel gun. Even metal ones can be damaged like that too though, just not quite as easily; just remembered my Beretta 92 that was dropped by one of our guys (I was on con leave so my junior had my pistol) on a parachute jump. Destroyed it completely, chewed the backstrap so bad the slide would not move not to mention cracks in a couple other places. It fell roughly 200' or so I believe. Got a new one as it was deadlined forever.
  11. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Look on the bright side, it can be recycled. I sure am enjoying my 1911 and they are addictive.
  12. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I know, parts gun it is!

Hard to beat a good 1911 (literally too!), I would trade all the Beretta's in world for one nice .45 (sorry beretta 92 fans, I'm a 92 hater thru and thru)

another pro for a steely gun is when it runs outta boo-lits, you can start whacking people with it! Not that a Glock or XD would feel great to the face, but solid metal would be far more effective.
  13. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

I own only one "plastic" gun.
  14. Hugh357

Hugh357 Member

I have found my plastic XDM 9mm to be more than adequate. If you don't like plastic and will not use it then I suggest you get a pair of old fashioned roller skates and enjoy the thrill on the interstate to work.
  15. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

a tube of super glue and it will be as good as it ever was :D
  16. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I had a glock that was shot through the grip part of the frame; cut the mushrooming off with a pocket knife, put a Hogue grip over it and used it as my sidearm for 7 months. (battlefield recovery piece)

I like the super glue idea! hahahaa. My 1911 is mad at me right now, cheating on her with my newest Glock, I have to say hello to her at least once a day sitting by herself in the safe.
  17. skullfr

skullfr New Member

Im just old school and have nothing against polymer but prefer steel.It makes a pistol whipping more definite with a steel pistol.I backhanded a guy with a 1911 and he wore dentures after that.
  18. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Though Im not a huge fan of poly guns, this guy aint telling the whole story. He fell off his ATV? then why does it look like it got ran over by a truck? OK a steel gun would not have snapped but definably not in any condition to be shot.
  19. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Lucky it didn't go off...
  20. al45lc

al45lc New Member

So?
    Metal guns take a licking? All of them?
    Tell that to two of my friends back in the day when their Berreta slides failed, remember that?
    One failure occured at a practical pistol shoot, witnessed by several people, He was lucky the slide didn't come all the way off.
    I don't buy the anti-plastic B.S., it ain't the material per se, it's the engineering and quality control.
    If you don't like "plastic" guns, that's fine, but stop the B.S. based on your bias.