When Winchester made rifles in New Haven and Weaver made scopes n El Paso

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Bushmaster1313, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 New Member

When Winchester made rifles in New Haven and Weaver made scopes in El Paso:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan Member

I was born near the Winchester plant. As a kid, I remember driving by there all the time. Very sad to see it go.
  3. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan Member

Beautiful rifle, by the way!
  4. bobski

bobski Former Guest

madscoutsman...
    i did too.
    where are you now?
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

My wife's Grandpa in PA used nothing but old fixed K-Weavers with side mounts on his .30-40, his .300 Savage and his .222. 4x on all of them....

Funny that at an estate gun auction last weekend there were over a dozen old K-series Weaver scopes ranging from 2.5X to 10x and a few variables in between....and I was in at "choice" for $50 because there was one with a nice fine dot reticle...and passed when it went to $65...

I wonder if I should have kept bidding...
  6. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I like vintage rifles and vintage scopes to go with them. The old Weavers are still great scopes and if you look they're still around for sale.

A few years ago I was in a gun shop in Pittsburgh. They had a pile, really they were piled up in a display case, of old scopes. I went through them and found a V12 Weaver priced at $40. It was like new inside and out. While I was looking at it and hoping the price wasn't a mistake the guy behind the counter commented "nobody wants those old things, too heavy". OK...I'll take it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

My Scope Snob buddies who generally will never own anything "less" than a Leupold or a Nikon on the LOW end, both have relatively newer Weavers on at least one of their bench rifles.

They claim the Weaver has some of the best internal adjustments available on any scope, and always have.

Plus their customer service is still almost as good as Leupold. A few years ago one buddy put an older but not very old Weaver he had for years, dind't even remember where he got it, but had never used on his brand new Savage .17hmr and couldn't get it to shoot under an inch, and finally figured out it was the scope.

He called Weaver, they asked if he had his receipt and he said no, they then said send it back and they would see what they could do, and two weeks later a UPS box with brand new Weaver in it was sitting on his steps when he got home from work!
  8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I have two of the old Weaver scopes and one of which is an old K6, Wide Angle which I havent had anything to put it on....yet! But as far as just looking through it, it's as clear as a scope could be with nice, sharp crosshairs.
    The other is an old 3-9x40AO (40 I believe), V9, but as a kid it was mounted on my Dad's old rifle and I thought I could clean a "spec" off the crosshairs...yeah!
    I still have the scope and hope to send it back to Waever to see if the can fix it, to which I havent called them about it. I'd like to have it fixed at whatever cost, just because it was Dad's and it needs to be fixed as it was my fault, as a kid, that messed it up.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  9. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    I mounted a V9 on my 25-06 about 42 years ago. Dual-X reticle, and it is still holding zero.

Only thing I have to complain about is the O-rings on the adjustment caps need to be replaced.

John
  10. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

My father swore by the old K4's and Marksman 4's and a couple of em are still in use on a couple of my rifles. For all the stories about "fogging" and "fallen" cross hairs and such, I have never had any sort of (knock on wood) failure with any of em; and they are all at least 50 years old.