where are your saving?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bobitis, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I have a savings account at my CU with about 3,500 bucks in it.
    I get 60 cents a month in interest.:eek:

Squeeze ME, but that ain't right.:mad:

Where ya'll got your investments tied up?
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

3. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Been wondering much the same thing. Nothing around here is paying more than 1-2 percent unless you have big bucks and are willing to tie it up for 10 years. The stock market is too crazy. Over the past 5 years, my mutual funds and IRA's have lost half their value and municipal bonds don't pay much more than bank rate's. I'd be better off putting all my investments into gold and keeping it in my gun safe. I'm beginning to see the "change" already!
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    When you already don't have much, you don't save money. You save at the store, and you save when you get a good deal on a gun. Maybe someday ammo will be worth it's weight in Gold. If that ever happens I'll be rich!!
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Me too! After bullets and guns, stock up on toilet paper. That will be worth gold too if TSHTF.
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Beans, bullets and band-aids.

;)
  7. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Yep. Moved into tangible assets.
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I have some emergency money in a money market account with Ally Bank (Ally.com).

Other than that, we're clearing out ALL of our debt. Should be free and clear on everything by February.

Your best investment is to quit being a profit source for others.
  9. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Got $88k left on the mortgage. I WON'T be done by February. :D
  10. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I am going to invest in more firearms soon, as savings account interest and CD rates are in the toilet.
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

:D Yeah, I don't have a mortgage. One of the mixed blessings of my job is that there is a provided house on site. It's great that we don't have any housing payment, but we also don't end up having any equity in anything when we eventually move on.
  12. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I have decent savings. Hopefully by January I will have enough for a comfortable living in Moscow, plus a down payment on a house/condo stateside when I return :). I suspect a comfortable living might end up taking a bit more money, but no one ever said a down payment had to be "x" dollars :).

It stays in the bank, where, until about two month's ago, I kept it all in checking. Now transferring it to savings as I go. When you are investing small amounts of cash (I do not know what I would qualify as small, but I would call even $10,000 small) there is no investment that will pay well without huge risk. I put it into savings mostly so I can have a definitive count of what I have "saved". Checking is too fluid for that.
  13. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Member

I was having US Savings Bonds deducted at work for my grandson's college.

Now the Feds have stopped payroll deduction for Savings Bonds (I guess they were losing money on it---or the Chinese offer a better deal).

I would like to cash the bonds I have ($5,000) [screw the Fed] and start investing in something else, but I am not sure what.

I considered gold or silver but that seems rather non-liquid.

Stock are too risky.

I don't know enough about bonds.

One thing I have noticed: There are no trustworthy sources of financial advice for the common man. I am sure rich people have advisers---but recent headlines indicate that some of them are cheaters, too.
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i've a few punts on the stocks every now and again but i read a lot first , watch who develops what new stuff and who is watching , 5k max punt i've been lucky

the mineral side of Australia is doing good as supplies to china are kicking in again mainly steel for their car industry .. so have some medium long term punts there

otherwise i'm doing a bit of trading and trying new or "unique" items not available here

the silver bullet gun oil for one

my tools where my best investment and have made me some dollars

but my education on older trades and skills has paid the best

i shot and skinned over 70 foxes this winter and good few roo's

the old time tanning gives far better results on fox and roo fur than industrial methods and so i get a way above average price for the skins

bunnies where plentiful too but theres one price for rabbit so thats that ..

so i dunno about true investments so much but theres a few ways to make a buck without working full time ;)

but savings ?? hahahaha whats that??
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  15. Jeff Midguard

Jeff Midguard New Member

Isn't it awesome how the banks got all that bailout money from the feds essentially free. Then they turn around and loan it for double-digits, and pay next to nothing for interest on savings. Firearms are probably a much better investment now.