Where did I see that?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dbach, Nov 20, 2011.

1. dbach

dbach Member

I saw a post where a guy explains how to slit the neck of an unprimed case, insert your desired bullet, chamber the round and use the shell to determine the exact COAL for your gun.

Does this ring any bells? I'd like to read this again, and save it for my notes.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

3. noylj

noylj Member

I would simply end up pushing the bullet in deeper trying to measure the COL. Not good with those light, small muscle control jobs.
    Maybe pull the dummy round out and apply super-glue so the bullet can't move? That way, I could use it to set the seating stem to the max COL for that bullet
    Rather use a "measuring rod" to mark breech-to-muzzle length and bullet nose-to-muzzle length.
    Surely, someone is going to come out with a laser system to determine this length? You shine it down the barrel and it determines the distance to the breech, then you put your case and bullet in and it determines the distance to the closest point (the bullet nose).
    Could also make money by selling bushings with specific IDs so people could "measure" the taper crimp.