where do most people reload?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Maddmaxx, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Maddmaxx

Maddmaxx Member

Do most people reload in the house or in a garage? where I live it is cold in the winter and the garage is not attached to the house or heated. Is it safe to reload in a spare bedroom (not married so that is not a problem!).
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have a spare bedroom that is dedicated to reloading and gunsmithing on my many guns. I am careful to not spill powder on the floor and clean up any that spills on the bench right away. I store my supplies (powder, primers) and tooling for my reloading equipment in the closet of that room. I have several benches with reloading equipment on them.

As I live in a dry desert environment, static buildup from walking on the house carpets before entering the room is a problem. The reloading room is also carpeted. So years ago I bought a conductive rubberized large floor mat that I have the bench for the reloading press siting on. The mat is big enough that I stand or sit on a stool on it during reloading sessions. The mat is connected directly to ground which kills the static build up.

While I could reload in my garage it is much more comfortable and convenient to be able to do it inside the house, year round.

LDBennett
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is a nice set up. My set up is 100% in the garage and I will admit that sometimes I just don't want to be out there. Even though I have "Some" temp control it is rarely ideal.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a storage building (uninsulated) out in my back yard that I use. I do not store any powder there because of no climate control in it, except what the weather controls. I do have a couple of small ACs in the windows for summer use and I take a space heater with me in the winter.
  5. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

My little bench and 2 Rubbermaid shelving units are set up in my bedroom ............Donna calls it my vanity.
  6. garydude

garydude Member

Garage for me too, although I store my powder and primers inside. I do a fair amount of the case prep indoors though, such as hand priming and primer pocket cleaning.
  7. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

I have a spare bedroom that is just for reloading and my relaxing.
  8. garydude

garydude Member

Oh and WELCOME to the forum Maddmaxx, we are glad to have you. :dance::dance::dance:
  9. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

Spare bedroom/junk room for me... SOMEDAY, it will become my wife and my "Hobby" room, because we need one badly. But for now I've cleaned out a corner of it for my reloading equipment. Not perfect, but so far it works.
  10. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

We have three spare bedrooms and I still reload out in my workshop. The boss says no reloading room until she gets her darkroom. I guess I'd better get busy on my projects list.
  11. m77user

m77user Active Member

spare room in the basement.
  12. RandyP

RandyP Member

Spare bedroom
  13. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

ye ole shop/garage. Detached from the house and unheated/uninsulated, little bit chilly in the winter but I'm immune to cold seems like... powder/primers and everything stays out there also. Winter usually isn't much below 25 F most days so not real cold here anyway.

been lucky with not having a stable temp in the shop there, none of my stuff has rusted (knock on wood). Really wish it was heated/insulated though, not happening anytime soon though.
  14. 76Highboy

Yep. We have a lot in common there aa.
  15. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i reload in a spare bedroom... corner of a spare bedroom.. :)
  16. 76Highboy

One place I HIGHLY recommend you reload is any where you can take cover while you are reloading. It's just wise thinking IMO. :D
  17. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I get chastised for 'dissappearing' into the 'man cave' garage frequently...
  18. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have no space currently in the house we are in.I have a block bldg that houses the well and room for storage.After about 10-12 months,I pulled out my reloading stuff to check on it.I was in horror to see that my press,dies,Wilson trimmer and shellholders got severly rusted.It took 2 days to clean w/naval jelly,steel wool,and oil to repair them.Anything stainless was ok.I know keep everything stored in the house.GA. is humid! Joe
  19. Maddmaxx

Maddmaxx Member

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will set up a spare bedroom.
  20. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm in my heated basement with my Dillon 550 Press mounted. The whole thing works great.