Where do you Shoot?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rogeritall, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Rogeritall

Rogeritall New Member

When I was younger (nearly 52 now) it seemed like there were all kinds of places and people with private land to go shoot on. If nothing else just plinking with .22 Rim Fires. Now I'm down to about three places to go, and all of them are shooting ranges/clubs. Maybe I'm lucky to have that many?

So, I am curious how it is in your piece of the world???? Do you have several ranges in your area, or Gun Clubs, or do you have your own private land and shooting range?... Or, any other type of arrangement.

I'm just curious where other's have found to "SAFELY" shoot their firearms whatever those firearms may be.
  2. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Sometimes off the back porch, sometimes off the front porch. Sometimes from my riding mower. Depends on where the varmint/game is. :)
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I head South of Boise into the desert, or maybe out into the Marsing desert. Very rarely do I go to a range to shoot.
  4. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

There's a nice rifle range up on one of the Conservation reserves here by St. Louis but I've never been there, I have a shooting buddy who lives on ten acres of heavily wooded land, we've carved a shooting lane out of the hardwood trees and shoot there.

Here's a pic of my daughter shooting one of the .22's, you cant see it but there's actually 25, 50, 75 and 100yard target boards out there!

[​IMG]
  5. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

I have a shooting range 4 miles from my home. It's an outdoor range and it just got out of a lawsuit. Because of that the range had implemented rules and are being monitored by cameras and personnel. They are pretty strict on how you behave but I can't blame them. It doesn't affect me much because I am self trained when it comes to firearms. Safety comes first.
  6. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

7. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Off my back porch bench or down on the river; all kinds of wood floats by most the summer.
  8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

In my back yard of course! These are pictures from a few months ago..

Attached Files:

9. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

DoubleD, I like your targets, but you really need to update a couple of them. ;) :D
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  10. Double D

They are all shot out now. They are still standing though.
  11. 01brian

01brian New Member

We have been going out to the Pawnee Grasslands. Its getting crowded now days.
  12. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I live in the big city and it is pretty much gun shop indoor ranges but I am fortunate to have some property an hours drive away where we have set up a range. Shooting in southeast Ohio is still an acceptable social activity and enjoyed by a lot of people. Spend a little time outside and you are sure to hear someone shooting.

Attached Files:

13. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is a nice little range Todd.
  14. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I shot wherever I wanted as a kid. We had a farm and as long as you weren't shooting in the direction of people, buildings or livestock no one cared. Now I live in L.A. and drive an hour to go to the club I belong to. It's nice to hang out with like minded people enjoying what we like to do.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  15. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When I was a kid I could shoot out my back door also. No way now. I found a very good range about 20 miles from my home. Outdoor trap/skeet/sporting clays/rifle & Pistol. Its a member only club so you have to join to shoot. I go there every week with my son.
  16. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

wow that's a big range! I have to drive 30 minutes to my range
  17. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I grew up in Northern MN on the Iron Range. The entire area was/is nothing but big holes several hundred feet deep and filled with water. Theses holes are surrounded by man made hills we called mine dumps. It was nothing to walk or drive to the nearest dump and set up some targets. Today most of these dumps are gated and blocked off.

Now, I live several mile away from my old stompin grounds and shoot in wherever I can. I have a couple favorite gravel pits, but they to are gated. I must park at the gate and walk in with all my gear.

These pits are on County land and on occasion I will be harassed for shooting in them.

People are pigs, damn pigs. Every time I go shooting I bring back more junk and garbage left behind by the pigs abusing these pits.

Last summer I was shooting rifles in my favorite gated pit. The Sheriff stopped by to pay me a visit. He told me that shooting was not allowed on county land or gravel pits. I asked "WHY". I can hunt, I can snowmobile, I can four wheel, I can do just about any legal activity you can think of, why can't I shoot at a gravel bank. He said because these gravel pits get filled up with all kinds of garbage and crap people haul in just to shoot full of holes then they leave the mess behind. I said, then why not put up a no Littering sign, No Dumping sign and start issuing citations to the pigs that leave the mess instead of punishing guys like me. . Said it wasn't his call. Just so happens I had just put a couple PC's, couple TV's and misc garbage in the back of my truck that were shot full of holes and left by the pigs. He thought that was a bit of OK and told me to keep up the good work and went on his way. I still see him drive by real slow now and then, waves and continues on.

The pit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Active Member

Aprox. 30 minutes to the club im a member at and another 30 minutes to an indoor range. I used to be able to shoot at my grandfathers property but that's long since been sold. Not too many people in my neck of Ohio like anyone on their property anymore. I guess the few bad apples have spoiled it for everyone.
  19. Double D

Steve, nothing fries my butt more than people who trash the outdoors. We used to do alot of 20 mile canoe trips on the rivers here in Fla. and by the time we got done, our canoes were loaded with trash we picked up along the way on the banks or floating in the river. Many of our 4 wheel drive areas were shut down because of people trashing the woods. Arrggg..you can carry it in, but cant carry it out? I dont get it.
  20. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Yup, the BWCA is another great example. Millions of acres of Canoe access only, no glass, no cans, no motors, no camping in undesignated areas, etc. What a pig sty. IMO the tree huggers that frequent this place are the biggest, laziest pigs I have ever seen. I'm too old and cranky to paddle my ass through this pig pen any longer, but when I did, like you I would come out with more garbage and illegal containers than I could carry. People make me sick.