The Firearms Forum banner

Where have all the revolvers gone? Well at least in the holiday ads?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  HVance 
#1 ·
Oh I was looking through all of the holiday outdoor store flyers this week and I noticed something, the revolvers have virtually disappeared off of their pages, some stores with NONE!

Gander Mountain, Dick's, Feather Fin Fur and other local gun shops just shotguns, rifles and semi auto pistols. What no holiday cheer for us old revolver guys? :rolleyes:

(seriously I still believe a good 5 or 6 shot revolver is one heck of a good companion piece and nice collectible )

#2 · (Edited)
I see the same absence in the ads here but a stop in Gander Mt. or Vance Outdoors and the displays still have about any revolver that is in current production that you might want. I had a hard time tearing myself away from a Talo edition of a S&W 686 with 7 inch barrel. One of these days I will yield to that temptation.

#4 ·
Speaking of revolvers and I know I don't know anything.
But, curious anyone know of a reliable 3 or 4 shot 45 ACP revolver, I know holding cartridge with a semi-moonclip. With short barrel like 2".
Light, compact daily carry with light pants and t-shirt untucked with inside waistband carry.
If not 45 how about same in 357?
Sorry, if this is wrong area to post this but was ask today what I would like for Christmas and got me to thinking if something was out there like this.
"Thanks!"

#10 ·
Speaking of revolvers and I know I don't know anything.
But, curious anyone know of a reliable 3 or 4 shot 45 ACP revolver, I know holding cartridge with a semi-moonclip. With short barrel like 2".
Light, compact daily carry with light pants and t-shirt untucked with inside waistband carry.
If not 45 how about same in 357?
Sorry, if this is wrong area to post this but was ask today what I would like for Christmas and got me to thinking if something was out there like this.
"Thanks!"
S&W makes, and has made, .45 ACP revolvers for years. There's a bunch of them out there. However, I don't know of anyone that makes a 3, or 4 shot, revolver. All I have seen in the smaller revolvers are almost exclusively 5 shots, with moon clips.

#6 ·
Dear Santa, oh well I can dream right?

There are a lot of good revolver manufacturers out there but I've always like the old S&W....maybe watching too many old cop shows when the detective pulls out his .38 Special, oh well....

Small Frame (J)
The Smith & Wesson J-Frame has become the most popular small frame personal defense revolver on the market. With decades of reliable performance to its credit, the J-frame line offers models capable of firing .22 LR, .22 Magnum, .38 S&W Special and the more powerful .357 Magnum loads. Smith & Wesson offers these revolvers from our production, M&P, Pro Series, and Classics lines in three diverse hammer designs; the exposed Chiefs Special®, fully enclosed Centennial and hammer shrouded.

#7 ·
mjp28, "Thanks!" will do some searching here.
Have acouple 5 shot 38 spl's but thought hey Christmas!
I just thought be nice since have something in a 45 ACP's more compact. I do have acouple 45 semi autos and have a S&W Model 1989 3" barrel and really enjoy it, but weight/size with light clothing not so good. So have a bit of 45 ACP ammo and be nice have another revolver that's more compact and less weight.
Maybe something will turn up before Santa makes his rounds!

#8 ·
There's always the .44 special!

#11 ·
Think about it - for a 4-shot revolver, the hand would have to rotate the cylinder a full 90 degrees. A 3-shot would require 120 degrees. That's up, around, and partway over. Imagine what the star would look like as it rotates. The hand, moving in a straight line, could never rotate it around that much of the circle. The clockwork is just physically impossible. Why would you want a 3 or 4 shot cylinder anyway? Small size? Then look at the .327 magnum. It has a small 6-shot cylinder, but a darn powerful cartridge.

#13 ·
Well there is the MDL 38-3

3 .38's that uses half of the cylinder, it's doesn't rotates all the way around. One side flat, the other with only 2 flutes. Overall width is just under 1".

It's not for sale yet.

#15 ·
When I carry the Off Duty I worry about having enough gun, and it has 5 rounds in it! I know I wouldn't be comfortable with only 3!

#16 ·
Well, Albtraum, I have to say I admire it. That's a fine example of "form following function". The goal was obviously designing a "pancake" revolver with minimum profile. Thinking outside the box, he moved the barrel to the lower chamber, flattened half the cylinder, smoothed the upper profile. Really well thought out. True, it does lose 3 shots. They say that all design is compromise - that is not always true. Sometimes the limits are hard and don't allow compromise; you have to design within them. This looks like a case where the 1" thickness limit was absolute and everything else had to change. When your gun absolutely, positively has to fire, a revolver is the way to go. And 3 shots is better than none. Well done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.