Where is All the 300 Savage Ammo?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Casey, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Casey

Casey New Member

I know the ammo manufacturers are supposedly all caught up in manufacturing the ammo for the military right now, but you'd think someone would be making less common ammo for us civilians. I havent been able to find any 300 Savage ammo in any stores around here since at least last January. Why would anyone buy any of the new calibers being offered by the gun makers these days. All I ever see on the shelves in any quantity are 243, 270,308, 30-06 and maybe 300 Win Mag. I havent been able to find any 7mm-08 anywhere either for quite some time. I reload also but have a hard time finding primers so that leaves that out too. Is this shortage a plan by someone higher up to stifle the gun situation? 44 mag is another hard to find caliber, I saw one box in a Walmart in over 8 months. I know this has been hashed over a few hundred times but I'm gettin really frustrated, summer is coming and I cant stock pile any ammo for my shooting therapy! AAARGH
  2. artabr

artabr New Member

Roll your own.
    I shoot a .30 IHMSA which is based of off the .300 Savage.
    For years I've been using Lapua .308 Win. brass to make my cases. It's a PITA, but the final results are worth the effort.
    The .300 Savage is a great but overlooked and under used round.

Art
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

Casey, I think it may be geographic because of some post I read here. It seems in many areas of the country things have loosened up and especially primers have been much more available. Your question is why would anyone buy the "new calibers being offered", it because most often those "new calibers" are only offered to create a market for new gun sales. The guy that had an 06 couldn't wait to get his hands on a 270 after reading one story written buy Jack O'Conner telling the world of the 270's majic. Some thought you just had to point the 270 in the general direction of the game and the bullet found its way to it, killing the animal in its tracks. As just a few of examples why would anyone have bought a 303 Savage when a 30-30 is about the same. The 308 and the 300 Savage. The 308 and the 30-06. Your 7mm-08 and the 284 Winchester.

Ron
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Casey it sounds like time to get into making your own ammo. Good hobby for the long WI winters and then you can shoot it off in the summer. Sort of like double therapy.
  5. Grandpa1948

Grandpa1948 New Member

I just checked with my local gun/ammo stores, and you are right, there is no 300 savage ammo here in west Texas. I don't look for it since I have quite a few boxes in the gun room to go with my Grandfathers old Savage, and I usually load my own. But, never fear, Midway to the rescue! I checked their web site, and found the Win brass in stock. If you aren't a regular customer of theirs, you should be. Check out www.midwayusa.com.
  6. res45

res45 New Member

Been rolling my own 300 Sav. ammo for 20 years,I stashed back five boxes of Rem. 150 Core-Lokt's several years ago when it was cheap just in case reloadable brass ever disappeared.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i got an old box sittn on the shelf an aint got no gun to chewt em frum.
  8. Casey

Casey New Member

What may I ask are your pet loads for? I aquired my fathers old Savage 99. I am going to start using it for whitetails here in Wisconsin next season. Do you use 150 grainers or 180?
  9. res45

res45 New Member

The 180's are a bit heavy for the 300 Sav. I like the 150's the best and 165's are the heaviest I personally would go. Because of the shorter neck on the 300 Sav. you want to try and keep your bullets base for going down into the shoulder area of the case.

A flat base bullet 150 gr. work best for that,Hornady,Speer and Sierra all make a nice FB bullet in .308
  10. Tnhunter

Tnhunter New Member

Here's some excellent quality ammo at great prices. I've used it in several calibers including: .270WSM, .284, 6.5x55, .44 mag, .358 Win, .35 Whelen and .375 Win and it all shoots GREAT! I shot the smallest group I've ever fired (about .25 MOA) with the 140grSP ammo out of a scoped, sporterized M96. These people are easy to work with and ship immediately after processing an order. Give them a try!

http://www.wisconsincartridge.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=39&idproduct=77
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

AFAIK, .300 Savage is still in the catalogs, but .303 Savage has been gone a long time, at least before WWII.

Ammo makers are no exception to the rules of business; they make what is most in demand, then if they have time and spare capacity, they make some of the low demand products. Fortunately, .300 Savage cases are easily made from .308 Winchester, as noted above. (The .300 Savage was actually used in early Army experiments that led to the 7.62 NATO, but the neck was too short for use in machineguns.)

Jim
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ableammo show they have it?
  13. Texaswolf

Texaswolf New Member

Casey, as Beth said, you can find the .300 Savage ammo online. I have a Stevens Mod.99 that i have both factory loads for, and a few boxes of hand loads i did few years back when i used to reload. You didnt say where you live, but here in Texas, i can find it rather easily. It runs about $25 or so a box, but heck, let me know, wouldnt mind helping another with a .300 Savage get some rounds.
  14. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

.300 Savage is one of those "limited production run" calibers. Typically, the ammo makers will tool up their line once a year to load these low volume "oddballs" and stockpile what they have projected as the amount they will sell before the next year's run. The problem with those projected sales figures is that sometimes they're wrong and supply gets scarce for a whole season (and sometimes beyond!).
    This limited production does make it a bit hard for local gun shops to get their hands on a few boxes for a few customers on demand so usually the best bet for locating them is to shop online with those shops that have a larger customer base.

I've gotten trapped with that lack of ammo for my 6.5 Swedes in the past back in the 90s when the last batch of good M96s were imported and all of a sudden people were buying more than the makers were producing. I now keep a pretty good stockpile of either factory ammo or components on hand for all calibers that I shoot but especially these oddball cartridges.
  15. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Went to a gun show in Mountain Home, Ar. yesterday and there was an excellent supply of ammo there. At least 2 dealers had a box or 2 of .300 savage. Didn't notice if any more had some as I don't use that round.

Prices were still a little high on some calibers and with different dealers. By checking everyone, I found good prices on most of what I shoot.

A good time was had by all and there was an excellent selection of fire arms at generally tolerable prices. Some dealers had outlandish prices but customers didn't linger long at their tables.

I like old guns and was surprised at the prices of old Colt and S&W revolvers, Mod.10s and 1917s. Most over $500 and some of those were nearly relics. Good supply of 1911s any kind you want and generally decent prices. Several Baby Eagles. Sorry GN, I just don't see Glocks but then I'm not so young any more.

Brass and bullets at good prices but no powder or primers. Go figure. This was a fair sized show for around here.

Finished up with a Chilly Cheese Hotdog with onions at Gil and Debs Chicago Hotdog stand on the main drag. Eat it with a fork or wear it. Sometimes I think it is almost worth the 70 mile drive to get one. Always looking for an excuse to go to Mountain Home and a Gun Show and hotdog is the best one.