where is the best place for .22lr ammo?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by accident, Jan 6, 2011.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What are some good places to buy .22lr ammo?I know of sportsmans guide,Midway,and Cheaperthandirt.Are these 3 the best for price/service or are there others I'm not aware of?I found the ammo I'm looking for at Sportsmans guide but they only have it in bulk 1000 rds.I don't want to buy that much yet until I'm sure it's what I want.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

accident:

Figure out exactly which ammo you want then do a GOOGLE search for best price on the part number. You will be surprised how many different prices come up.

I have found Midway a bit high along with others. I just ordered a case of CCI Std Vel from Midsouth Shooter Supply because they had the best price. I found this deal with the price search I mentioned.

But there is more to it than just the price per box. Ammo shipping costs can be excessive and to do the pricing right you have to check each source's shipping costs. I can't remember whether there is a hazardous materials charge on ammo but there is on powder. Don't forget to include that in the calculation for best pricing if it applies.

Where I live there are only a couple of gun stores within 50 miles and they are poorly stocked for anything. I buy virtually everything on the WEB. I save sales tax normally but sometimes the shipping just equals the sales tax savings. Some WEB stores have free shipping if you buy say $100 worth of stuff. But California is about to limit my ability to buy handgun ammo (that includes 22 ammo) on the Internet (new law that takes effect within the month??). The liberal Gun Controrl nuts in Sacramento did it to us again. So I'm stocking up.

LDBennett
  3. accident

Thanks again LD.I'll google it and see.Sorry to hear about yet another new CA law affecting the shooting sports there.You have an open invitation to GA when you've had enough. Joe
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

walmart is good for a few boxes
  5. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

What do you want to do with it?

Stay away from hypersonic if you're wanting accuracy. It's good for the noise factor though.:rolleyes: Depending on your firearm, the hyper stuff will beat the crap out of it. Subsonic costs more, but it's more accurate and easier on the gun.

Do NOT waste your money on Remmington .22 ammo. Any of it.

.22s are in their own world when it comes to ammo. Serial# xxx123 may not like the same ammo as xxx124.

Good luck! You have a lotta research to do if you're looking for bug holes on paper. If'n yer just looking for plinking ammo, MiniMags and Federal bulk seem to rule the roost.

Happy shooting!:D
  6. accident

Bobitis,I finally found a bullet my gun likes..22 CCI mini-mags.They are just for targets but I wanted something that is accurate in my gun.It took me alot of brands before I tried these.They work great in my Rem 552.I've found what works best in my other .22's and now that I've tried these I just need to find the best price.So far it's Cheaperthandirt at $5.90 per 100.I think I'll order from there.Funny how some .22 rimfires can really be picky about what ammo works.I'll have to keep in stock 6 different brands or type of .22 ammo to keep all the rifles happy.Most of my bolt actions like Golden Eagle Match.But not the semi-autos or lever actions.They are more finicky.THANKS Joe
  7. accident

P.S. I agree on the Remington ammo.I have never found any that shoots well in any of my rimfires. Joe
  8. dmh

dmh New Member

hiya,
    if you're planning on buying ammo online (recommend doing this in bulk only), check out this website, it lists sites by cost, price per round etc: its quite useful

http://www.ammoengine.com/