Where is this coming from

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by army mp, Jan 26, 2010.

1. army mp

army mp Member

A while back a guy on one of the forms I go to. Came up with the term. (Bullet Head). As you can guess some guys jumped on this guy hard. He tried to say it was what he was taught in the Army. I think not. I know the Military has changed in 40 years. But the Military had some very unique ways of instilling the proper terms. I think the Drill Sergeants would pray for someone to say GUN,. Anyway what are some of the odd terms you have heard.
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I have heard of bullet head before and its not nice. Here is one or two more for your list. Pelosi now means to take a dump. Obama now means to get it up the rear.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Smelt.

Smelt means two things. One is a kind of fish. The other means to heat metal-bearing rock (ore) to get the metal out. But, for some reason, lots of folks up north (I've never heard anyone down here say it) say they are smelting lead to cast bullets. They're not. They're melting it. It was smelted back at the mine, when they separated the lead from the rock. But if you're turning your wheel weights, or bar solder, or sheets of plumbers lead into liquid, to make bullets, all you are doing is MELTING it.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You talking about a bullet head, like a gear-head? Someone that is into guns like a gear-head is into cars?

Or do you mean the bullet, itself, that (again) people up north seem to call a "head" frequently?
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i always thought "bullet head" a derogatory term used by the anti gun brigade and other limp wrists for folks like me , shooters, hunters, etc

bullets, its a civvy term, rounds is the military here.

Oz is very different in terminology than to the US, so i dunno

here we drink XXXX pronounced "four ex" and trojan ( beer brands )

there you wear em ;)

cheers

jack
  6. army mp

army mp Member

I should have clarified his use of the term (Bullet Head ). As most reloaders and shooters would use Bullet or the Military term. Projectile. He said bullet head. You are right about the term smelting. I do hear that thrown around a lot. I think that may have something to do with the large number of Steel mills up here. And the term over time was excepted by many Bullet casters. Another term I hear mis-used by new shooters is Bullet in place of Round or Cartridge. I know this in the most part is Trivial. But at some point. You get tired of. Explaining the differences
  7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Curious. Up where? I don't hear 'smelting' around here at all. Smelt are fish in my neck of the woods. Casting is either fishing or pouring metal.
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Here's two for you. One is not a firearms term but the other is. When you hear the word sputter you think running condition of a engine. When I first started in the industry I work now I kept hearing the word sputter, sputter can,or sputter coat. Well when you look at a CD or DVD, the silver inside the disc that provides the reflection is called the sputter coat. The part of a replication line that puts that coating on is nicknamed the sputter can. The sacrificial anode (round plate of nickle alloy or copper alloy) that provides the sputter coating is called the target. I always though this was weird b/c the target in my mind is what your applying something too or making a change to or your goal. In this case we are taking away from the target.
  9. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

The only "odd term" I've heard lately is Mall Ninja. I'm sure it's an inside joke, but have never been that interested in finding out it's origin. That's the only one I can think of.

Damn you Jack! :p I was not expecting to LOL this early in the am! :D :D :D (I dribbled coffee all down my shirt! :rolleyes: :D)

SR
  10. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

"Bullet Head" is a term I heard/used years and years ago that referred to a man with no hair or a buzz cut and no neck to speak of.

Of course things chance with time. A good example is the current pronunciation of cache. (meaning something hidden or stashed away)
    The correct pronunciation is "kash". A few years ago some General in Iraq pronounced it as "ka-shay" which is a whole different word and meaning. ("cachet",1. an official seal, as on a letter or document or 2. superior status; prestige plus a couple of other meanings.)
    Of course, who's going to correct the General.;) and now nearly everbody pronounces it wrong.:mad:

Kind of like Castilian Spanish for Barcelona pronounced Cathsteel and Barthelona. It seems that an early King lisped (lithped) so the language was changed so he wouldn't feel uncomfortable. (I know I wouldn't want to make anyone "uncomfortable" that had the power to toss me in a dungeon.:D)
  11. killbuck

killbuck New Member

:D Myself and a friend have been using that pelosi word a lot on the net lately talking poly ticks and all. We're trying to get more people using it. ;)

Gotta remember the obama one now. :D

killbuck
  12. petesusn

petesusn New Member

Which witch is which.
  13. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

BOHICA has got to be a new one for me! Heard it the other day and they guy told me what it meant. Bend Over Here It Comes Again!
  14. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Aw you beat me to it. That's a favorite for some of the people I work with.
  15. guntech59

guntech59 New Member

Ah....the infamous "mall ninja".:D

Do a search for "gecko 45". I think you'll be amused.