Where the jobs are(n't)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GunnyGene, Dec 8, 2012.

1. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Apparently in local, state, and federal govt. According to the news 73% of the jobs filled in the last 5 months are in govt. positions. In other words for every new hire that is pulling the cart, 3 new passengers are riding in the cart. How is that helping anything?:rant::thud:
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

so it's like buying factory ammo so you can have more brass to reload?
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Because big gubberment is really big business.
  4. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

Part of the communist takeover; where we will all be government employees.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Right on! Of course you won't be getting the pay check you once got, because everyone should get the same amount of money!!!:eek:
  6. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

since the government owns a majority if GM, does that mean their employees are government employees?
  7. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

as long as I get my monthly entitlement I am OK:barf:
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    You will keep getting it alright, it will be smaller checks though! Got to cut those entitlements so the poor can have more!
  9. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

As the Russians used to say, "we pretend to work, and they pretend to pay us."
  10. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

Actually got myself a job in the private sector. Mechanic for the local Land Rover dealer.
    Kinda wanted to avoid working for the govt. after leaving the military.
  11. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

I have applied for at least 50+ state positions, had 4 interviews, each time I was/am completely qualified, with over 25 years in my industry, but I did not get the job, I think I lack 1 or 2 "special" qualifications to land a state or fed job, it saddens me, AND pisses me off, that I am passed over because I'm a caucasian male, in my last job I worked directly with the state for over 3 years, when I would go to ANY state office, caucasian males were by FAR the minority, maybe 1 in 25 employee's, if not fewer, funny how affirmative action stopped being implemented when CM'S became a minority in the state,

Being unemployed myself, I don't sleep well and I listen to a lot of late night talk radio, last night one of the topics was Social Security, after hearing some of the facts/figures, I now have a better understanding of why it is doomed, unless some changes are made, I'll try to stick to bullet points,

*When SS was created, the average life expectancy was 63, so the average person never lived long enough to draw SS,

*Today the average life expectancy is in the upper 70's, SS was not designed/expected to make payments to ANYONE for 10-20 years,

*When SS was created, 16 people contributed to the program, for ever ONE person receiving SS, today the ratio is 3:1, by 2025, it will be 2:1,

There were some other eye opening stats, that I can't think of right now, and don't want to make inaccurate statements, one figure I do wish I remember is the $ figure that obama TOOK from the SS program for bozo-care, it was a large amount, from an already struggling program, but can't recall exactly what the number was,

So, I had just accepted what we are being told, SS is going to go broke if not adjusted somehow, I just didn't know exactly why, the 16:1 original ratio is now 3:1 and soon to be 2:1, and we live 15-20 years longer than we did when the program was conceived,

Part of the remedy will quite likely be to raise the retirement age up from 65, will probably go to 67, if not 68, money going INTO the system will have to be increased somehow, etc., it's going to take a combination of modifications to keep it running,

The 16:1 ratio, that is now a 3:1 ratio was the most striking fact to me,
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012