The Firearms Forum banner

where to buy .45acp bullet for reload?

20K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Duckboats 
#1 ·
i got the equipments, got the casing, now i need bullets, where do you guys get your bullets for .45 acp and how much do they run for? i saw some on ebay, but i'm not sure if those are reliable. you help is much needed for this newbie loader :D

#2 ·
ns3v3n:

You need a reliable source of bullets that will be there the next time you need bullets. You need round nose bullets that will feed reliably for 45ACP. I suggest you use Midway for your source of bullets. The prices are very good there.

You can choose Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) bullets or cast bullets which are cheaper but in general nothing feeds in a 45ACP gun better than FMJ bullets. You can choose between packaged bullets from Sierra, Hornady, Speer, and others but for less money you can buy "bulk" bullets that are packaged in larger quantities in plastic bags. The Remington and Winchester "bulk" bullets are good choices for a reasonable price and will feed perfectly if you do your part in the reloading of them.

So its Midway and Remington or Winchester bulk bullets that I would choose, if I were you.

LDBennett

#3 ·
I buy almost all of my bullets from www.midwayusa.com They have very reasonable prices and provide excellent service.

#4 ·
I buy from either Midway USA or Midsouth Shooters Supply.
Last time I bought bullets, Midway had the best price on bulk
packs of 500 or more.

Both have good prices and it seems Midsouth beats Midway on
a lot of prices, but not always. I have ordered from both
and they are great to deal with.

#9 ·
You took the 'Leap' into reloading, now it's just a 'hop' into bullet casting!
Wheel weights work out almost perfect, for casting low velocity pistol bullets, and cheaply, if you cruise the local tire shops, etc, and buy them by the 5 gallon pail.
I melt them in a 'plumber's pot' pig the lead into ingots, and store, for future use; this smoothes out the weight to weight alloy variation, nicely.
Lyman publishes a 'Cast Bullet Handbook', which should answer all your questions.
My cost, per K, cast at home, is less than $10.00, and they shoot just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.