Where to buy a good used silencer?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by sharps_74, Apr 3, 2006.

1. sharps_74

sharps_74 New Member

I know that there are places to buy used MG's. Is there a place to buy a used silencer? I've wanted one for a long time and my budget won't allow for the cost of new. I know that there are many folks on this forum that are more knowledgable then I am on this. So, help me if you can. Thanks folks.

God's Blessings,
    Ken
  2. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Before you go buying, make sure a silencer is LEGAL in your state. :) No sense getting in a tiff with the law.
  3. sharps_74

sharps_74 New Member

They are legal here. :D I've got two arms and two leg and don't want to pay one of each to get a silencer. :D Thanks for the concern though.
  4. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Oops, sorry about that. I keep forgetting that most other places in this county are better for things like that than the PRMD. :(
  5. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Being in the PRK, it may be illegal to even respond to the question, good luck
  6. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

I've seen "display" silencers advertised. Many of them are just emptied of the steel wool or chamber locks. I think they still advertise in Shotgun News.

I would just thread an aerosol can and call it good. Don't see any earthly purpose to own a silencer.
  7. sharps_74

sharps_74 New Member

Light Coat, I have three reasons for my wishing to own a silencer;

1) I would to own one for my weapons collection.
    2) I don't like to wear ear plugs while shooting/hunting.
    3) I feel it is my right as a person living in what is supposed to be the most free nation on earth and that if I don't partake of all my freedoms then my children might forget that they have these freedoms too and let somebody take them away.
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

Sharps, listen up!
    The cost difference between new and used is not significant, but, the bullshit will be!
    If you buy from a manufacturer, or Class III dealer, they do the paperwork, every day, so, can assist you in getting the package together, and in the works; they also are recognised, at BATF&E (the alphabet group), and so, get results quicker.
    Fool around, trying to save 50 bucks, by buying private, and you'll likely spend the next five years with paperwork!
    Take this to thought. The tax on a can is $200. The tax on a surpressed MP-5, or other SMG, MG, et al, is also $200. If I had a notion that I wanted a full auto, in adition to a can, the bargain is to buy a surpressed weapon, since the tax is the same, and you do the paperwork, only once!
    The other way 'round is to build the surpressor, yourself, after all the paperwork is approved, and paid for($200), which involves more time and equipment, yet, than the first two options, but, if you are retired, COULD,be a bit cheaper, though I doubt it.
    Look at the AWC site, and their cans; Phil Dater has led the league, for many years, in technology relating to this product, and continues to produce the best on the market, IMHO>
  9. sharps_74

sharps_74 New Member

stash, thanks, I'm thinking that you're right on with that. I have no lack of time for the paper work and for a build (might be fun). I am just hoping to find somebody that lives in this state and has one to part with in a trade. I'm not very interested in a MG. However I'll bear that in mind.
  10. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I think the term Supressor or Silencer was created by the BATF to confuse people, because a supressor is nothing more then a muffler. That's all it is....just a muffler. They sell them everyday of the week at Home Depot to muffle lawn mowers. The only difference between the two is that the home depot mufflers are missing a few baffles (washers) inside and a center hole. With a few washers (baffles) added and a center hole, you would be in business. Tractor oil filters work the same way. Just add a few baffles inside and a center hole, and you have a suppressor. Oil filters have female threads too, so they will fit on your gun without having to use a threaded bushing like you would with the lawnmower muffler. Gun supressors/mufflers work on a very simple concept. Instead of letting the hot gas from the gun make a loud noise when it punches a hole into the cold air outside, you cool it down in chambers between the baffles and then spread it over a larger surface when it exits. By expanding and cooling the hot gas in the chambers, and then spreading it over a larger surface, you avoid all the noise from it having to punch that hole in the cool atmoshere. You blend it in smoothly. Don't waste your money buying a supressor. Your only expense should be the cost of getting your barrel threaded (about $50.00) and the $200.00 tax stamp. I wonder if you even have to pay the $200.00 if you make it yourself instead of buying it? You may want to check on that. There is more then enough information available on the web to get a quality gun muffler education in about 2 hours. Most of the supressor manufacturers have a cut-a-way drawing of their suppressor design on their website.
    I don't understand the drama the BATF has created over a gun supressor/muffler. Most weapons fire the bullet at a speed greater then the sound barrier, so the sonic boom from the bullet will make noise louder then an unsupressed 22 LR anyway. About the only weapons that don't break the sound barrier are .45 acp and .22 lr subsonic loads. The subsonic .22 makes hardly any noise to begin with, especially the subsonic shorts.
    I think the BATF just keeps the drama and theatrics of the evil "supressors" looming because they want that $200.00 to buy new jack boots and face masks. I guess jack boots are kind of expensive these days, so you can't really blame them for that.
    I read an article about supressors the other day, and I believe it was in an old issue of Shotgun News.....or maybe it was on a European Gun manufacturer's web site. I don't remember. Anyway, the article said that the new health code in England now restricts the sale of any new firearm WITHOUT a sound supressor included. The countries health department determined that the decibals produced from an unsupressed rifle was a health risk to the shooter and to the general public. To save the public for hearing loss, they passed a health code to require supressors! Well, that is if you can convince the queen that you are worthy enough to own a firearm in the first place.

If you remove the drama and think about the function and facts, it is easy to see that a supressor is not magical device used by super criminals. It's a gun muffler.....just a muffler! Most states now require trigger locks, but no muffler to protect our hearing??? Does that make good sense???

When my dad was a kid, nobody had a muffler on their car. HE SAID BACK THEN PEOPLE VIEWED CAR MUFFLERS WITH A SIMILAR IGNORANCE TO TODAY'S GUN SUPPRESSOR. HE REMEMBERS HIS DAD RANTING AT THE DINNER TABLE THAT THE FEDERAL REQUIREMENT FOR A CAR MUFFLER WAS GOING TO KILL THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE EVERY YEAR. HE SAID PEOPLE WOULD BE RUN DOWN ALL OVER THE COUNTRY BECAUSE THEY WOULD NOT HEAR THE SILENT CARS COMING OR KNOW TO GET OUT OF THE WAY. That is the same ignorance that says a suppressor is a tool that will promote criminal behavior.

Now I have gotten myself all keyed up. I can't stand ignorant laws that were created to mask another tax, and rape me of my hearing and freedom at the same time.

Do any of you have the ability to change Federal Health Code? LOL That would really piss off Heinrich Himmler's masked soldiers. LOL
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  11. hbucki

hbucki New Member

if your mg is already reg and the supressor is built onto the gun like a mp5 no additional tax ,just needs to be upgraded on atf file
  12. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Bluesea
    What you are suggesting is patently illegal, and you are suggesting that people break federal law. Whether you agree with the law (which you obviously know nothing about) or not is irrelevant.
  13. nitro476

nitro476 New Member

The best place to obtain these is in South Africa. Any of the gun makers in that country can make you one in a short period of time.
  14. aezael

aezael New Member

I would like to buy a suppressor for a .22 rifle but I wonder about how long it would take, I'm 77 has any body got any idea of how long it would take to get it.
  15. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Aezael, no idea what state you are in and that does make a difference. Here in Texas, it is currently taking 5 - 6 months to receive the tax stamp back.