Where to buy ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by wng-2, Jul 31, 2010.

1. wng-2

wng-2 Member

Hello, I am very much a newbie here. Little by little I plan to get into reloading, I have someone that can teach me about it.
    In the meantime is there a place to buy ammo online at a good price? I bought 250 rounds of .45 ACP yesterday at Wal-Mart
    For $85.00. Obviously it certainly doesn’t take long to burn through $85.00. I’m sure this has been discussed, and I apologize for that. As
    I said, I am very much a newbie, and not much of a computer guy either. Thanks very much in advance.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Check out MidwayUSA, Cheaper than dirt, and Natchez Shooter Supply. Don't know wher you are, but check out your local sproting good stores. Especially you local smaller gun shops.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Wally Worlds ammo prices compared to online are hard to beat; so long as there's one close by and they have the ammo in stock. My suggestion would be to save up the $$ and forego the range for a bit until you can buy the reloading equipt. Get ahold of a few manuals and while you're saving, read up and get a good idea of what you'll want to buy.

Carvers suggestion are good too, especially if you want to buy in bulk. If you're buying 500+ rounds at a time, you can save online. I won't knock them too hard, but I tend to stay away from CheaperThanDirt and Natchez due to some (my opinion) unscrupulous sales tactics. It drives me nuts how Natches always lists some ungodly high price and then their "sale" price next to it. I usually stick with Midway, MidSouth Shooting Supply and Graf & Sons. I have and will still order from the other two, but it has to be a great deal.

Semper Fi and welcome to TFF !
  4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

We live in rural Alaska, hard & expensive to ship ammo & reloading supplies into where we call home; mostly regulations & fees.

I know prices are high, but availability is back to normal at Sportsmans Warehouse. Their prices here in Alaska are the same as lower 48. In the past, I have called, laid away (20% down), have paid on card then picked up a few weeks later when I get into town, ect.

I called last week to ask if they had any fed 215s? They had them to the roof. So I asked guy what kind of discount if I made a decent size order? He said they'd give me 5-6% off. I went off into goofy land and spent 2200 bucks on powder, primers, reloading supplies, and a few boxes of ammo; I'm a stocked up happy camper. They give me a little better than 6%; more like 8% and no $150 bucks in shipping costs like what occurs with midway.

I have a buddy who buys everything from Sportsmans, rather than Cabelas, ect. He told me that if you spend that 5-6-8 gran/year at Sportsmans; they give ya bigtime deals, preferred customer in a way. When I asked the guy at sportsmans, he told me to figure 5% in gun stuff and 10% or more on clothes & accessories.

I get half dozen new guns a year from this one small gun shop, he makes about 100 dollar profit on every gun and gives me a fair price. I bought a Acog that listed for 1300, this guy gave it to me for 1000 bucks. I feel this gun shop treats me right and I know I have credit with him when I'm broke and want to jump on a gun he came onto that I like. I like it that way, you got to support local gun shops.

From now on, Sportsmans is going to get the money Cabelas use to get when I see something. Check them out.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Usually when buying on line, and not in bulk, you are better off buying form a local source. They may have their prices jacked up a bit, but you don't have to pay the shipping. Here, locally, Wally World has plenty of ammo. I've been buying Fed. 308, 150 - 170gr bullets for $13.95 per box of twenty. Beat that! And they even have some .380 in stock now.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  6. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    My first thought when I saw the title of the thread was, well, from anyone who's selling at a good price, other than reloaders. I worry about buying stuff from just plain folks who are not in the retail ammo business, because I'm afraid of getting cartridges that have like two times as much powder in'em than they ought.

Here's some other online recommendations:

http://www.ammoman.com/ (free shipping)
    http://www.ableammo.com/
    http://www.outdoormarksman.com
    http://www.ammobank.com/
    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com
  7. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

8. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

9. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

They (Precision ONe) also have a good primer deal on CCI.

J
  10. wng-2

wng-2 Member

Good stuff, thanks very much for the replies!
  11. 2ndfan

2ndfan New Member

First off if I buy all my ammo from Wal-mart "for the time being" Untill press arives. Im in So. Cal and every states prices are going to be a little differant. Keep in mind August 2010 here. Walmart for 50 rds. .45 Federal 230 GR. $15.67+tax or 100 rds. of .45 Winchester 230 GR. $32.57+tax When I go to the local Turners Outdoors same ammo $10.00 more for 50 rds. and $20.00 more for 100 rds. As of Jan. 1st 2011 no more ammo willbe able to be sent to Califonia via mail. (Because CA gun/ammo laws SUX!) My advise buy a good high quality press and not have to worry about upgradding it later if money permits. Just my .2

*SUPPORT THE NRA*
  12. doug66

doug66 New Member

By the time u pay freight, WM may be your best bet. Save your brass and scrounge it when u can.
  13. rleete1948

rleete1948 New Member

were can I buy bulk 308 Bullets 1000 pieces or more that won't cost me a arm or a another appendage
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You looking for 147 grain FMJ (pulled 7.62 NATO bullets), regular hunting bullets - 150 JSP of some type (Winchester/Remington/Speer/etc) or premium bullets (Barnes copper, Nosler partition, etc)?
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Regardless, the best you can hope for is maybe a dime, probably closer to 15 cents for the ball bullets, 20 cents to a quarter for the JSP and close to a buck each for the premium stuff.