Where to Buy

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Gator, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Gator

Gator New Member

[Disclaimer: I'm a Noob to handguns and this forum. Didn't find answers using search and not sure where to post this. Sorry about that.]

I've been lurking around here for months and have been helped tremendously by all the information on this forum (despite the understandable "my [fill in the blank] is the best"). I've decided on the firearm to buy but find myself decidedly ignorant about WHERE to buy it. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm looking for a new SIG 232. I live in Florida and have a FFL dealer for shipping purposes. What's the right way to shop? The local folks don't seem to be too enthusiastic about the local dealers.

Again, many thanks for all the valuable insights (incites?) the group has unknowingly provided.
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

3. Gator

Gator New Member

Thanks but it looks like they don't carry/have/sell Sig stuff.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Guns America (www.gunsamerica.com) currently has three SIG P232s listed. I don't know if you're looking for new or used, but you can usually find stuff from any of a number of auction sites.
    Also, SIG's website has a "Dealer Locator" tab at the top of the page. Put in your zip code... you may be able to find something good close to home.
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I would personally go to a few of the local dealers and shop around, ask questions,etc. Then form your own opinion.

When gun dealers go out of business due to lack of sales, where will you buy then?? When possible, support your local dealer. :)
  6. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Gator,
    when you buy off the net and pay the shipping and transfer fees it is almost to the penny what it cost to buy local If you have your own FFL or a friend that will do the transfer cheap then you can save a few bucks.
    just my two cents
    Ron
  7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I only transfer through my local dealer for the odd and unusual, beyond that I go through him unless I find something at a gun show.
  8. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

9. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I've NEVER had trouble finding a gun shop... Do a search for pawn shops, guns or even sporting goods in your local yellow pages... I find that *********, Gunsamerica, and the like are often right at the price point of my local deals, only I have to pay shipping, transfer fees, etc. from the websites... Why in the world would I do that?... Don't be afraid of pawn shops. Often, they are valid FFL dealers who can get anything you want. They don't just sell used stuff...
  10. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

The dealer I do my buying and stuff was able to order my Marlin 795, I'm sure you dealer can do the same with the Sig 232. Sometimes they'll use a catalog or go directly to the manufacturer (sometimes).
  11. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  12. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Purchased... :)
  13. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

You can go to your local gun dealer and go directly through him/her to get a Sig 232.

14. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

You're very welcome and glad to be of service. :)

www.taurusarmed.net
  15. Gator

Gator New Member

I went to a range in Virginia over the holidays and they had, coincidently, a brand new Sig 232 at a really, really good price. Unfortunately, without my carry permit, the timing didn't allow me to "pull the trigger" (always wanted to say that) on the purchase.

Returning to Florida, I checked with my local guys and found one for more money (a lot more) but after I told the local folks about the Virginia price, the cost for the transfer (both ends), and the shipping, they worked with me to come up with what we both considered a fair deal.

I am happy that they worked with me and were reasonable. I'm also quite pleased that I could throw my business to a local shop.

All in all, a very good experience and I'm bloody ecstatic about the Sig.

Thanks again, all, for your help.
  16. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

17. stash247

stash247 New Member

I would strongly suggest you deal with a local shop, and if they do not have what you want, ask!
    The guys I deal with have been around for more than forty years, and should I have a warranty issuue, are right up front, about assistance.
    When I buy something wierd, from a seller in BFE, it's 5 bucks across the book, to receive it, and, if adressed to me, they even call, when it arrives!
    A "Full Service" Gun Shop, I buy powder, components, and parts there as well, whether on their dollar, or mine!
    Imagine buying a couple of rare rifle actions, from a seller, several states away, and rolling them 'across the book', for ten bucks.
    'Customer Accomodation', I was told, but then, they get the first shot at anything I'm gonna buy, and we are not real hard dealers, on price.
    Build a 'local' relationship, it will serve you well.
  18. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

The dealer I had the Tracker shipped to asked me if it was a new or used gun. I told him it was new... He said he saw my receipt and immediately went to check prices from his distributor. He said that Bud's was selling guns for as much as $30 below what his distributor charged him... I guess they make their money off volume sells and can somewhat negotiate with their distributors?... :eek:
  19. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member