Where to find the right holster for my Iver Johnson revolver???

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by SonofCelts, Feb 23, 2009.

1. SonofCelts

SonofCelts New Member

Greetings,

I have just inherited my Grandfather's revolver (he carried it as a security guard in the 1950's.) Thru Bill GoForth's help I discovered it is an
    Iver Johnson Large frame 3rd model .38 Top Break Safety Hammer (circa 1913).
    It is in great condition and I'd like to find the "right" holster to keep it in (one that would do this old gun some justice) ... I have read about a military issue holster that the Navy Issued their tugboat operators... I just don't know where to look exactly. Are there any compatible make/model pistols to look under? Can someone help me?
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  2. SonofCelts

SonofCelts New Member

Hope this question makes sense... I'm wanting to find a vintage style (military or non) holster that will be a good fit for this revolver. And lookingfor it by name has proven inconclusive... Maybe you guys know of a good source or maybe a more popular make/model pistol is the same size/era...
    Thanks for your help,
    Richard in Arkansas
  3. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

I thought maybe a holster from the Hunter company might work but didn't see anything in their size chart that has a front hinge like your Iver. (Webly, Enfield, S&W Russian or Schofield) They still might be an option if you can find a store with a good selection and they let you 'try them on'.

They are traditional looking and aren't fitted as much to particular models as are most leather holsters. Reasonably priced too.

I haven't dealt with custom holsters but I'm sure one of those guys could fill your bill for the money. I bet one could make you a reproduction holster if you could find a good picture of one like that Navy issue.

Good luck. If one of my granddads had passed down a treasure like that I would want a propper holster too.
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

in the early 1900's iver johnson sporting goods co. of boston offered a complete line of holsters for all revolvers. two styles of these holsters that might fit your needs were the military style flap hoslter and the hip pocket type. both were made for the large frame 38 caliber iver johnson safety automatic revolvers. the nice thing is these holsters show up on e-bay and other auction sites quite often, but it may take a little waiting for just the right holster to show up.
    bill