Where to keep Home defense hand gun with childern in the house?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Tony22-250, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

I have my 2 rifles in a hard case under my bed but its not like that does any good when some one is in your room when your sleeping.... I decided its a good idea to have an H&K USP 45 loaded and ready to go by my bed at all times. The only problem is that we have a 1 1/2 year old running around and another little one on the way. I want to be able to grab my pistol quick and draw on any intruder, but my intent is to protect my family and not have any unfortunate accidents involving children. Where would I keep my pistol that is safe yet easily accessible to protect my family and my self in a time of need?
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

This is very very touchy, and responses are going to be rather sparse for obvious reasons.

But speaking just for myself, I would keep it handy but with no round in the chamber.
    A little guy is not going to be able to rack the slide on a .45, (nor should he know how it is done) and in the case of an intruder that nice solid chambering sound can be almost as big a deterent as the shot itself.

Of course, the kids are raised knowing that if they TOUCH dad's gun without him present and guiding them, there will be dire consequences - and I don't mean a 'time out'.
  3. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I don't have children in the house to worry about, but I have several suggestions for you.

You could purchase a small handgun safe, with a keypad entry. (I don't recommend a key lock) There are a lot of different types, with biometric fingertip key pads, and you can even get ones with finger print recognition. Most safes can be bolted in place. Perhaps it could be bolted to you bed frame.

The second idea is to hide the gun in the wall beside or above your bed. Simply cut a hole in the dry wall high enough to be out of reach from the children, and hang a picture over the opening. You could also get a wall safe.
  4. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Safes are out of the question. Im not going to tell an intruder to hold on let me open my safe when they are in my room.
  5. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Personally, I would consider a 38 Special revolver. I think that they are inherently safer then a semi. I keep mine in a holster bolted to the side of the bed. You can always lock it up during the day and holster it when you go to bed.

In all fairness, my 3 are all grown and no longer live at home. I never owned a gun nor saw the need when they were living with us.
  6. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

A revolver is a good choice for reliability and "Stopping Power" but there is no safety and if it is double action than all a child has to do is pull the trigger and bang. The H&K USP offers 12 rounds of .45 ACP (if loaded with Winchester Ranger Ts that a force to be reckoned with) and a safety. As Terry pointed out a child would have to rack the slide of a large cal auto to chamber a round.

You know the holster on the side of the bed doesn't sound like a bad idea. Just keep it there when I'm sleeping with a full mag but not chambered and put the gun up when I'm awake.

The reason I'm posting this is because this is the second time I have had an unwelcome person enter my home with out my or my family's approval and it is time for protective measures other than my 2 rifles. In both cases a proper display of adequate force would have diffused the situation and made my intent clear to the trespassers.
  7. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Whatever you use keep it on your person. That is real inconvient for me as I'm usually in exercise shorts and T-shirt but I don't have young children around so I keep in drawers. If we have company then the firearms get locked up, period. The pistol safe makes sense to me and then supplement with door locks that are harder to kick in.
  8. Rocketman1

Think about that statment for a second.

The safety has nothing to do with it. As a responsible gun owner, no fire arm should be out of your control. A child should not be able to get to your guns period.

If you are home and have direct control of who has access to the gun(s) then the safety is not relevent.

As I said, I don't have children, but my guns go in a safe when I'm not home, to help prevent them from getting into the hands of a burgerlar when I'm not home. At night my 9mm pistol goes in my night stand drawer with a loaded mag.
  9. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

10. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Should not and could not are two different things. Having small children in the house they end up going through just about every thing being the mischievous little guys they are. It is tragic that childern unaware of firearms safety find guns and harm them selves or others. But it does happen and should be pervented at all cost. On the opposite side of the coin your family does need protection from intruders that may enter your home. May I remind you this also does happen. This scenario is a double edged sword. It is up to the people that have small children in the home weather to protect them at the cost of the possibility of harming them. Or to leave them unprotected by keeping the fire arm out of reach in a safe or not having one at all. Personally I would like to protect my family and my well being from potential threats. The question I am asking is, where to keep an auto loader that a child does not have access to but I can reach in a hurry if need be?

All that I'm saying about an Auto loader being safer than a revolver is that if in the event that a child does find a hand gun. There are is a time difference in the fact that a child would have to first figure out how to rack the slide which take some force then after trying the trigger would then have to figure out the safety. This is not the case with a revolver. It is caveman simple when loaded. You pull the trigger, click, bang.
  11. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Come to think of it the only safe place that is easily accessible and out of reach at the same time is to carry when in the house LOL!
  12. Rocketman1

Hi Tony,

Ok, Good your post clears things up. I do understand the need to protect your family and keep the firearms away from the children. We have had home invasions in our neighborhood. I'm glad I no longer have small kids to worry about. Back when I did have children under foot it was not an issue. We would even leave our doors unlocked. Now days that is out of the question.

I really feel you should consider one of the small pistol safes. Like the one found here: http://www.buyasafe.com/Gun-Vault-Safe-p/gv1000std.htm

The keypad can be worked easily in the dark. A friend of mine has a similar safe bolted to the side of his bed frame. When he first installed it he practiced to make sure he could open it quickly and in the dark. The combination is programmable. He has it positioned so he can reach it easily without getting out of bed. After entering the combo with the touch of the fingers the door pops open for instant access to a gun already chambered.

In my opinion it isn't much different then having it in a nightstand drawer. The only way to have faster access would be to get the one with finger print recognitionlike this one:
    http://www.buyasafe.com/Biometric-Fingerprint-Gun-Safe-p/biobox.htm

. . . or to have it on the nightstand or under your pillow. If that’s the case then you need to move to a safer neighborhood.

Take Care
  13. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I don't have children in my house, but I have a lot of children "around" my house (my home is in the middle of a summer youth camp). We keep the doors to the house locked, and everyone knows to stay away from the house, but the guns still get locked up much of the time. Better safe than sorry, and frequently the best way to be safe is to keep the guns in the safe.

One method not mentioned that came to my mind is to mount a holster (probably kydex or similar) to the wall near your bed somewhere around head height. Make sure it's high enough that the kid can't reach it, even from standing on the bed. I would still generally keep the holster empty, but it would be a safer place than leaving it on the nightstand, and it would be easily accessible to you as soon as you stood up.
  14. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I got the bed pulled away from the wall about 5 or 6 inches and have a spot on the back of the head board to hang my Beretta. I got a 4 y/o and a 2 y/o and the 2y/o likes to climb in bet wit us in the middle of the night sometimes. I got the pistol situated where I can get to it from either the middle or the side. The trick is not to let the children see its back there. I placed my Hi Point right on the back and forgot about it. I dont have a round in the chamber but that dont matter cuz I can get it racked and fired in a hurry if I need to. That is what I would advise you to do.
  15. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I got the bed pulled away from the wall about 5 or 6 inches and have a spot on the back of the head board to hang my Hi Point. I got a 4 y/o and a 2 y/o and the 2y/o likes to climb in bet wit us in the middle of the night sometimes. I got the pistol situated where I can get to it from either the middle or the side. The trick is not to let the children see its back there. I placed my Hi Point right on the back and forgot about it. I dont have a round in the chamber but that dont matter cuz I can get it racked and fired in a hurry if I need to. That is what I would advise you to do.