Where to keep ready HD shotgun

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ineedsoap16, May 10, 2009.

1. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

I just purchased a mossberg 590 as my primary HD weapon. My wife and I have no children but we do have two dogs (basically our kids). My question is where to secure the weapon so that I have immediate access. A closet is not an option due to the fact the my side of the bed has a sliding glas door to our hottub (easy entry point). I do secure it but i want something I can access without jumping over the bed and back. I thought about slightly under the bed under me loaded w/ no round in the chamber. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated. By the way my wife is and will be fully ready to use this in the event that I am not present.
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I have heard of people mounting them above the bed or over the entry door into the bed room.
  3. 1 CAV

1 CAV New Member

Unfortunately this is a question for which there is no "right" answer. None of us here know the layout of your home, and I'm not suggesting you should post that online by any means. I wouldn't. Additionally, I think you should consider more than just the "I need to get to it quick from my bed" scenario. Often times home invasions happen while the home owners are awake and moving around the house. No matter what happens, you can bet good money that whatever happens will be something you never expected could happen. These things never unfold the way we envision them in our minds. I would personally suggest more than one firearm, placed in key locations around the house that are not obvious and where only you and the wife know about them. This way no matter what end of the house an intruder(s) enters from you are close to a firearm and not cut off by the offender(s). That's my 2 cents anyway.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    What if you are in the back yard grillin, and chillin? Sitting in the living room enjoying a movie, and pop corn? As 1 CAV said, I have guns in every room. My shorty shotgun is standing by my bed against the wall, next to the night table that keeps my .45 laying right beside me. My flash light is right beside the .45.
  5. doug66

doug66 Member

No perfect location, just have one close.

I need to think about a good bathroom gun.
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

at night i'd open the drawer to the nightstand just a tad and lean the barrel of the shotgun in the crack. during the day i'd keep it handy. i take a gun everywhere i go, except the shower, but when in the shower it is on the back of the toilet within reach. course mines a pistol though.
  7. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

You may desire to consider something like this: Back-Up
  8. einvasion

einvasion New Member

I think that keeping your shotgun by your bed ready for action is a good idea. Under the bed mounting is good but I saw somewhere else on The Firing Line that there is a new bedside rack. There is a video on YouTube that shows the rack in use here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3GXYAzh8EQ I think that within a second or less I could pull out the gun and be prepared to protect my home or go hunting.
  9. einvasion

einvasion New Member