Which .22 caliber rifle?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Birdville2011

Birdville2011 New Member

Remington 597
  2. midnight_cougar

midnight_cougar New Member

I was gonna say check out the tubefed ones that shoot .22mag .22lr and .22 shorts, i'm not sure of the price or who makes it (it's been a while since i looked for a new .22) Because .22mag ammo can get expensive if you like to shoot alot. but i don't know if there are aftermarket parts for it either
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  3. nolacajun

nolacajun New Member

Getting in on this a bit late, but have been shooting 22 rifles for a long time.. as in over 50 years. Had a couple of 10/22's but got rid of them. Rotary magazine was okay, but rifles weren't that accurate, and they were too small for me.

I do have and shoot a Winchester 62A pump gun, and it's Rossi knock off. Both with tubular magazines. Then there are the Remington's...a 597 semi-auto, a 550-1 semi-auto (tubular mag), a Nylon 66, and my latest acquisition, a 582 bolt action, also tubular magazine. Then there is the little Marlin 783T in 22 Mag, with tubular magazine.

For accuracy, the Remington 582 and the Marlin are so close that it's hard for me to say which one is most accurate. The 597 autoloader is a close second.

But I do love to shoot all of them, and they have provided me with many hours of fun and relaxation as well as some sumptious table fare. :)

John
  4. da357mag

da357mag New Member

Well we have herd all about the virtues of the simi-auto clan, and what
    they prefer, don't take it wrong there are alot of them out there,and they are
    all good! how about the bolt preference, I just got a cz 452 lux and I haven't shot it yet I have shot a friends and 1 inch groups at 100 yds told him I WANT
    one! stopped that day and orderd it, should be in sometime this week
  5. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Hey, da357mag, I want to know how you like the CZ452 Lux when you get out and shoot it. I've been wanting one for a long time. Tried to order one through CZ (get a discount), but haven't been able to get to a real person to order one up. That is top on my list for my next .22 at the moment.

I'm with TTLongrifle. Thunderbolt has to be about the nastiest .22lr ammo out there. Wouldn't put that in my rifles if you paid me. Get a good rifle and don't shoot anything unjacketed through it. All of my rifles seem to do just fine with Federal ammo, so it's usually my ammo of choice.
  6. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

The Browning model 241, aka ATD, .22 semi is the finest shooting little .22 to come down the pike in the last 100 years. It came out first as the Remington 24 when Browning let them use the patent for 40 years or so. Browning started making them in the early 50s or so in Belgium, and then moved the manufacturing to Nikoru in Japan in the mid '60s or so. Accurate, and as far as mine have been, fail-safe. And you don't spend hundreds of dollars converting triggers, barrels, etc., etc. to get them to shoot like they should to begin with.
    Remington 24
    [​IMG]

Browning 241
    [​IMG]
  7. wasillaman

wasillaman New Member

we bought a Butler Creek barrel,composite stock w. bipod, with Simmons scope 21012, Ruger 10-22 .

my son seems to really enjoy the one. cheap easy accurate
  8. sdblazer

sdblazer New Member

Remington 552 BDL. I have one and have had it for years. Definitley my favorite .22.
  9. Bob & Wife

Bob & Wife New Member

How come no one mentioned the Henry rifles? Took a while to read each post in hopes to hear about the Henry rifles as I really want a fun lever-action 22 for my first plinker. Anyone ever shoot one or better own one???
  10. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

I have an old Marlin Mountie Gold trigger. Why they put Gold Triggers on these rifles I don't know. All that aside the old 39A has covered many miles of high mountians and hot deserts. The old girl after 50 years of abuse is still 100% dependable.

RC
  11. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Ive got the standard Henry .22lr and love it and it's as accurate as one could be. Right after I got it (used) I stripped it down and gave it a good cleaning and lightly oiled all the internals, and it's as smooth as it no doubt was when it was new. Excellent shooting rifle!
  12. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Marlin expects you to go thru 50K-100K rounds during the model 39a's lifetime,
    which mean a fair amount of sweat will be applied to the trigger area over time.
    Gold, doesn't rust.
  13. dugasgunner

dugasgunner New Member

Simply because Henry don't make semi's.
  14. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Re: Which .22 caliber rifle?
    I might have missed something....?
  15. dugasgunner

dugasgunner New Member

I want semi-auto, accurate, and good for plinking.. hi capacity mags are an advantage but don't have to be. Just something fun to shoot. Right now I'm leaning towards the Savage (just because my first rifle was Savage).

That were the original requirements.
  16. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I just picked up a new 597 VTR quad rail/collapsing stock for $509, it kicks the pants off of stock 10/22's... mags don't load to advertised capacity but shoots well both function/accuracy so far. added a simmons rimfire scope to it and a handful of other goodies, she's a fun gun.

this is an OLD thread....

what she looks like naked....
    [​IMG]

Savage semi's are cheap but nowhere near as accurate as this thing...
  17. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

OK; I'll play. For me the answer is the 10/.22, but in 3 iterations. First and most basic is the standard CRR carbine with a 4x Nikon:
    [​IMG]
    This one has had a little bit of polishing on the trigger, and a pressure pad installed just in front of the V-block, but it's stock otherwise. Accuracy is just what I expect. 1.5" @ 50 yards with Aguila Interceptors. Some say the CRR stock is too small. I'm a big guy, and to me, it just feels "handy".
    Next is another CRR, but this one has a Green Mountain 20" stainless fluted sporter and a Bushnell 3x9.
    [​IMG]
    It's just a bit more accurate, and with subsonic ammo, it's very quiet. This one takes the usable range out to around 150 yards, with ammo that is accurate enough.
    The last one began as a standard carbine.
    [​IMG]
    That's a Shilen 22" varmint contour barrel and a Mueller APT. I've done a buncha' worryin' over the pressure pad and bedding, so this is about typical for what it does with half decent ammo:
    [​IMG]
    This one normally gets shot right at the end of what the ammo can do; 100~250 yards. Beyond that, .22 LR can't do much, so I don't feel the need for a 20 min. base.
    Just about any time I shoot, it's these three that get used, and it just doesn't feel like I've been out unless I shoot all of them. Today was kind of a "light" session, with 120 rounds thru each of these, and only 10 rounds from the AK. I had 2 pistols with me too, but just didn't feel the need to shoot 'em.
  18. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

^^that's a sweet combo/collection you got there... looks like fun!

Got the 597 zeroed/broken in and did a bunch of ammo testing, so far CCI mini-mag wins both accuracy and function. so far about 100rds of CCI with no jams. Federal eagle cheap stuff cycles OK but is horrible for accuracy. don't even bother with Remington .22 ammo...
  19. WTHines

WTHines Member

My .02 worth....
    I have Ruger, Remington, Marlin (2 of them) actually 3 if you count the Glenfield, and Browning. ALL have their good and bad points. If I could choose only 1...the 10-22 but shooting the old rear tube fed (through the stock) Browning in 22 short for squirrels is a real hoot!
  20. iflyfish

iflyfish New Member

All the guns mentioned have their advantages. But "FUN" and "PLINK"?? At least consider the M&P 15-22. It fits the bill perfectly.
    [​IMG]