The Firearms Forum banner

Which .22 caliber rifle?

105K views 43 replies 33 participants last post by  bobv 
#1 ·
Stratcat67
(11/2/02 4:48:43 am)
Reply Which .22 caliber rifle?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I honestly don't know.. please discuss your choice and why it is the choice, or anything that I've forgot..

I want semi-auto, accurate, and good for plinking.. hi capacity mags are an advantage but don't have to be. Just something fun to shoot. Right now I'm leaning towards the Savage (just because my first rifle was Savage).

additional accessories would be nice also.. aftermarket stocks, barrels, etc.

Ruger 10/22
Savage 64(series)
Remington model 597
Winchester's equivalant
Other

Show results

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(11/2/02 10:44:16 am)
ezSupporter
Re: Which .22 caliber rifle?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Stratcat67 you can get a Marlin or Browning in semiauto and have tube feed so you don't have to worry about high cap magazines at all.

Stratcat67
(11/2/02 3:20:00 pm)
Reply Re: Which .22 caliber rifle?
hey thanks for the thought Warpig, damn, I'd put that so out of my mind that I hadn't even thought about tube fed, duh!!

I'm surprised that the Savage got almost as many votes as the Ruger.. I may go that route.

If anyone else has suggestions, I'll gladly listen.

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(11/2/02 6:35:12 pm)
ezSupporter
I got one of them Savages. They are good guns

smartypants2
(11/2/02 6:52:05 pm)
The Marlin Papoose (Model 70pss) 22 rifle in stainless is a great gun. It takes down, is very light (3.5lbs I think), very reliable, accurate (I use it with a dot sight), and inexpensive. I take it in the car so's I have a rifle wherever I go. I have brownings (which are great but too nice to really abuse 'em), anschutz (great but expensive), Ruger (too plain vanilla for me, but certainly a great 22), norinco (very good especially for the $ paid).

Any one of these guns will shoot more accurately than I can hold. If you can hold on it, you can hit it with any of 'em

Edited by: smartypants2 at: 11/2/02 6:52:38 pm

JS4
(11/2/02 6:59:40 pm)
Of the ones listed I voted for the 10/22. Mine's the deluxe sporter with a Bushnell 4X32mm scope. It's been a good rifle to me and I've kept it stock except for the scope and a sling.
When it was new it would malfunction once in a while but that ironed itself out well within 500 rounds. Both my Mk.II's were the same in that way. All of them shot fine after that short break-in period. I have a Marlin 60 too but I prefer the 10/22 because it's more carbine like and has a better feel to it. That's just my personal feeling about it. As for losing the 10/22's magazine, it's kind of big and blocky so it's harder to misplace and easier to find if you do lose track of it. Don't forget all the upgrade potential that the 10/22 has. I don't know of any other .22 rimfire that has so much after market stuff available to it.
JS

Stratcat67
(11/2/02 7:09:11 pm)
Reply I think
I think I'm going to go and pick up the Savage from the local Wally world here, they have it for 98 bucks, hell you can't beat that.

then, as a project, I'm going to shop around and find a 10/22 to do all the upgrades to. Totally trick it out. This way I'll have an extra .22 rifle, you can always hand one to the kid or girlfriend..

gram22
(11/5/02 10:37:33 am)
Reply Went with the Ruger
I picked the Ruger 10/22 for several reasons. First off, I know it is not the most accurate .22LR rifle out there, but I cannot think of another gun with this many customization possibilities. It's easy to shoot, reliable, capable of high capacity magazines, and cheap.

Lee
(12/6/02 7:26:26 pm)
Reply sticking with my ruger
Im going to have to go with the 10-22. It may not be the most accurate out of the box, but a drop in trigger and barrel will do wonders....the great thing about it is you can do the extras on your gun yourself as you get the money

oneshot
(12/13/02 2:37:13 am)
Reply Czech bolt action .22LR
I heard from several that love the Czech bolt action rifle in .22LR. I forgot the model number but it's about $150 and looks good and those that shoot them say it shoots better than the customized 10/22 they sank so much money into costomizing.

Pistols the best all around gun in my opinion is the Ruger MKII. I have a 5-1/2" Bull barrel MKII Target model that I did and action job on and I have goten a 1" group at 100 yards with it. Most groups average 1-1/2" to 2" from sand bags, good scope, and good ammo, and steady hand. I had a T/C in .22 it was a bit boring, though I never put a scope on it. A T/C in .22 Hornet would be cool since T/C claims it's capable of 1/2" groups at 100yards with factory ammo.

KDS420
(1/6/03 4:53:56 pm)
Reply Re: Czech bolt action .22LR
i would go with the savage 64f for the money, very accurate and reliable. 10/22's are nice but cost way to much for about the same quality of a gun and the parts are a ripoff, your paying for the name ruger and thats it.

Soba011
(1/7/03 7:01:00 pm)
Reply .22 Mossberg
I have an old .22mag mossberg my Dad bought several years ago. Man, that thing shoot like a dream. I have it sighted in at 75yrds with a scope. Its killed lots of squirels. I love that gun. I've never seen one like it though. Dad also has a semi-auto springfield 22 thats old, but its so dirty the bolt won't open. I need to work on it. But that mossberg is great, its heavy, has a long barrell, and shoots perfectly.

drmjf
(1/9/03 12:46:08 am)
I have 2 Savage bolt actions. 1. MkII heavy barrel still sorting it out, but even so it shoots 3/4" groups at 50 yds. My son's is a Mk II standard barrel he puts 1/2" groups at 25 yds. For the money mine was $180 ,my son's $100 with a scope at WalMart. Great buys
Mike in PRK.

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(1/9/03 12:21:00 pm)
ezSupporter
lots of new guys
Welcome, smartypants2, JS4, Stratcat67, gram22, Lee, oneshot, KDS420, Soba011, drmjf

I had not read this thread for awhile and I was surprised to see all the new guys hiding here
Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

NEtracker
(1/10/03 2:36:10 pm)
Reply 10/22
K10/22T stainless bull.
Volq. bolt release, extended mag realease.
Bolt buffer.
Weaver V24
Millet rings.
Fajen thumbhole stock.

Great Shooter!

berto64
V.I.P. Member
(1/11/03 2:01:52 pm)
ezSupporter
Re: 10/22
JC Higgins mod 36 with Tube Mag, semi-auto, Beavertail forearm is great for stability & acurracy.
Also have have a Savage mod:6DL that I haven't fired yet. Looking forward to doing some shooting when the weather clears.

berto
Endeaver to Persevere

NeVeTaS
(1/11/03 2:59:17 pm)
On a budget I'd go for the CZ (X BRNO) they offer the best value for money.

Not on a budget, Sako finfire, or a fully VQ 10/22

Mauser45
(1/13/03 1:22:43 am)
ezSupporter
you just can't go wrong with the 10/22 Ruger. They are as accurate as most other semi-autos' and no tube feed is going to last as long as the rotary mag of the Ruger. I've seen too many problems with the tube feed mechanisms over the years. The problem is that they are made out of sheet metal stampings and not very "robust". Also, with a rifle with the tube feed under the barrel, you cannot properly bed the stock for the best accuracy. Yes, it does matter even on a .22, if you want to get the most accuracy! Any of the guns that you listed will work fine for plinking. If you have to have a semi-auto and you want to be able to improve it, Ruger is the only way to go !

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(1/17/03 5:41:02 pm)
ezSupporter
Thing about the tube feed is it holds more shells and does not get lost as easily as that itty bitty magazine. I have never heard of a problem with a tube feed functioning. That is unheard of except for damage caused by the operator, and such damage would surely also cause one of them magazines to quit working. The magazines don't even work if they get dirt, mud, and snow in them. I have never bent or damaged a tube feed in any way so it would not work. Believe me when I say I have used them rough. **** hunting in the dark, freezing winter really beats up a .22, worse than they get beat bouncing around in the truck bed toolbox.

Now the Browning 22 auto has the coolest tube feed of em all

I guess I just prefer the capacity, dependability, and ease of use of a tube feed

But you are right when you say the 10-22 has the most options for fixing up, but if you want a semi-auto that you don't have to spend money improving then I would go for a Browning or Marlin or even the cheaper Savage. Any one of these are more accurate than 99% of shooters can shoot them, unless you are into competition shooting and even then they will surely hold their own with a 10-22.
Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss. Edited by: warpig883 at: 1/17/03 5:48:44 pm

Bill
(1/24/03 5:37:05 pm)
Reply 10/22
I blame all the writers that have been praising the virtues of the 10/22 which caused me today to buy a beautiful target, stainless model. Looks and feels fantastic. I'll provide shoot reports once I get it to the range and on a bench. Looking forward to breaking in this gun. Bill

Zigzag2
*TFF Senior Staff*
(1/25/03 8:02:13 am)
Reply Re: 10/22
well shams on you Bill j/k

We'll be looking forward to see your report

Quote:
"Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

gram22
(1/25/03 9:10:21 am)
I just think it's hillarious to watch you guys argue over the Ruger 10/22. Half of you will say it's an excellent dependable rugged little .22 rifle, but the other half will say it's not worth the money, or it's not accurate at all. Yes, the magazine can jam up, but you can usually fix that problem by cleansing it with solvent then letting it sit to dry. I have shot both tube-fed and magazine fed .22 rifles. They both function excellent, it just depends on what you prefer.

Zigzag2
*TFF Senior Staff*
(1/25/03 9:25:44 am)

Quote:
I just think it's hillarious to watch you guys argue over the Ruger 10/22

Isn't it great!

Edited by: ruffitt at: 1/27/03 2:47:41 am

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(1/25/03 9:47:36 am)
ezSupporter
Re: 10/22
To each his own. They are all good guns and a person should pick what they like the most.

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Zigzag2
*TFF Senior Staff*
(1/27/03 7:25:45 am)
But Ruffitt, which 1 is it

Turkey Creek
(2/2/03 6:18:56 pm)
I have a CZ Lux and I couldn't ask for more in a 22LR- accurate right out of the box- easy to customize the trigger- likes any decent ammo ie Lapua, Wolf, Eley, Federal- can use it for 22 silhouette or hunter sportster benchrest- you can spend more but I don't know that you can get more for the dollar

z537z
(2/8/03 1:05:07 pm)
I own a Remington 597: Picked it up from a guy for 100$.

It's actually very accurate (I've got an old Bushnell 3x9x32 Sharpshooter on it) at even 75 yds (you can get it within an inch, benchrested) plus.

Unfortunately, it has tendency to jam. This is because of a poor clip design.

I reccomend staying away from this gun unless you want a good cheap plinker: It's actually very good for what it was designed. And surprisingly accurate. A little bright paint livens up the 3 dots, if you don't want to put down 40 on a scope.

I've shot a 10/22 a lot too. Very nice gun, never jams, and they are definitely customizable.

_z

stuporman
(2/12/03 12:45:11 am)
Reply Excellent Choice!!!
You appear to be on the right track.

Get a gunsmith to work it over, (someone who personally owns at least one 10/22)

Spend about $100 in labor on it and it will feed alot better and shoot alot straighter.

Good luck!

rixchic
(2/26/03 1:10:35 pm)
My husband just bought me a Marlin Papoose. Unfortunately its snowing and raining today so I must wait until tomorrow to see how she fires. But, the size and weight of this fine piece is fantastic. I'm a small woman
( under 5') and all of our other weapons are very heavy and feel too bulky. I'm gonna love this one; just my size!!! Just had to tell somebody about the new lil "Papoose". I'll let ya know what happens after I get to shoot a few rounds thru her.

Zigzag2
*TFF Senior Staff*
(2/26/03 2:31:46 pm)
Hello rixchic, and welcome to The Firearms Forum.

We'll be looking forward to the report on your new firearm.

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

paulbrown137
(2/27/03 2:41:55 pm)
i have a marlin papoose as well and i love it. i have put a couple bricks of ammo through it 1000+ rounds and had maybe 4 jams. it is really slick quiet and super accurate. i put a cheapo tasco red dot and i couldn't have more fun with a plinker. everything is stainless and easy to clean. plus, the barrel is easily detached and the whole gun fits in a nice soft case (about 25''x6''x1''). this is the most portable 22 rifle you can get with detachable mags ive seen. get some spinning targets, balloons, or good old cans and you can shoot all day.

striker308
(3/1/03 5:32:35 pm)
Reply Favorite 22
I have an old Winchester moldel 75 that is more accurate than I can ever hold it. Sure its heavy, as a high power rifle, but the bag full of squirrels you carry out of the woods will make it all worth it. I am not a fan of autoloaders. Mainly because of their terrible triggers. You can trick them up, but why spend that kind of money on a short, carbine sized rifle.

mckheean
V.I.P. Member
(3/6/03 10:25:07 am)
Reply Remington Model 541-S
I will have to go with the Remington Model 541-S.I purchased one two months ago and put a Bushnell 4x12 scope on it and went to the range,after getting it sited in I shot a 1/4" 5 shot group dead center at 50 yards,have the target on my desk to prove it.A bolt action to me is a lot more accurate than a semi-auto. Benny in NC

See less See more
#2 ·
Stratcat - I suggest you hit the range with some friends and try a few. I have a lot of different .22 rifles and like them all for different reasons.

The Ruger 10/22 is the best all around for play and plinking. I just bought my kids a new 22" stainless version. We went to the range today and with open sights put 100 rounds in a 2" circle shooting rapid fire. These things are the bomb and a lot of fun. Plus, like an old chevy, there are hundreds of cheap add-on parts you can get for them. We do a lot of trigger upgrades and stuff like that.

I have several Marlin 880SQ. This is a bull barrel, bolt action with a 10-round magazine. I've added a tripod and 6-22x zoom scopes to each. When I want to just think things out, I take this to the range and put a few clay pigeons out at 125 yards. Then I shoot each one dead center splitting it into 4 pieces, then I shoot each quarter into eigths, each eighth into sixteenths and so on until there isn't anything bigger than a nickel out there. The concentration and focus relaxes me and helps clear my head.

I started my kids on a Savage Mark II bolt action. We found it on sale somewhere for less than $80. We keep it open sighted and use it in the indoor range when it is too cold to shoot outside. My kids can wear out the center of any type of target at 50 yards. We make varmit targets too and they really enjoy that.

Again, it really boils down to what you want to do with it. Try a bunch and then pick up the one you have the most fun with.

#3 · (Edited)
marlin is the least expensive, the most accurate out of the box, though savage owners may disagree, has the most models , has the best customer service, you can find old glenfield .marlin tube fed, at gun shows, that hold 17 plus 1 rounds, they are super trouble free, they have great variations in their wood, they have synthetic stocks, the new marlins have that "Walnut dip" crap. the old nra logo ones had great wood on them. your problem here is that Marlin has virtually no after market stuff. At any gun show you cna pick one up for 80 to 100 dollars here in Houston, with only super perfect excellent wood ones going for , say 120. the only thing i would choose over this is say an old remington or Win or springfiled or Whatever brand that could do s, l, or lr. all in semi auto , but you will pay at least 175. for such a gun.

#4 ·
Having just got back from the range with my son, I have to say I still prefer the Marlin 880SQ, even over the Ruger. My son prefers the 10/22, but hates loading the mags. In my opinion, the Marlin 880SQ is a lot more accurate than the Ruger and the group sizes at 40 yards prove it. Even though it's a bolt action it is a lot of fun to shoot fast as well as slow.

I've just ordered a match trigger for the Ruger, so we'll see how that compares once I get that installed.

#5 ·
I started out with a Glenfield. It has as 18 rd. tube mag. My dad has had it for many years and it works great unless it's dirty. I recently bought a Ruger 10/22 black Carbine model. It shot good right out of the box. The first thing I did to it was to put a 3-9x40 scope on it. I went to sight it in earlier this week and about 60 rds. into the session, I was getting less than 3/4" 5-shot groups at 50 yards. There are many aftermarket parts for the 10/22 and they are very easy to work on. I have other Ruger guns and I know that they are durable and reliable. My vote is for the 10/22 in any of the several incarnations of this fun little rifle.

#6 ·
i have a 10/22, a marlin 25n mag fed bolt action, and an old pre 68 h&r single shot bolt action. if i could only keep one it would be the h&r. it works, it's accurate, and the kids can safely use it. besides, one shot at a time make the younger ones learn how to shoot more effectively. this is the type of rifle i learned on in the scouts some 40 years ago and hence am not an advocate of the "spray and pray" method of target aquisition.

#7 ·
Couldn't agree more flopshot. The problem with kids and guns is like kids and transportation. When they walk, they're happy until they see kids on bicycles. From that point on, getting a bike is their only goal in life. When they have experienced the bike, they'd never go back to walking, but shortly after, they can't wait for the time when they can get a car. Once they get a car, they never go back to the bike.

I've found the same thing when training kids to shoot. The first time they shoot a single shot .22 is the best day of their lives.... unitl they see someone with a mag fed bolt action or semi. Once they get the taste of being able to shoot more ammo faster, they won't go back to the single - at least not until they get older like us ;)

My kids started off single shot .22. Once they mastered that, I moved them up to a Savage Mark II, then the Marlin 880 SQ and now the Ruger 10/22. So far, the skills they learned with the single shot .22 have carried them through. Even with the 10/22, at least my oldest boy still focuses on accuracy over spraying the target with lead. :)

Next, I'll move them up to a bigger .22 like a .223 or 22-250 and we'll start the same cycle over again.

#10 ·
Define "new". Are you looking for factory replacements or something like the new Hi-Viz sites? If factory replacement, you can probably get them from Brownells or direct from Savage. Heck, I might even sell you a set if my wife will let me put a scope on her Mark II but that might be a challenge since she loves shooting open sights.

#12 ·
get any of the ohter rifles you want, including a thompson center, or a cz. the last two will be the most money, the most accurate, and the most beautiful.
Then go to a gunstore or a pawnshop or a gunshow. Find your self a nice marlin mod 60 for 50 to 80 bucks. Clean her up, fill the tube with 14 rounds, and let her rip. It will be the most accurate, if the cz or t/c doesn't beat it out, but the thing is, it will be a minus 100 dollar gun , you can keep as a beater, and it will be accurate. Otherwise, get a bolt action marlin tube fed, any of the 81 series. the new 981's are 150 dollars, and will hold 25 shorts in the tube at one time! so fine.

#17 ·
I've used many inexpensive and expensive 22 long rifles. On the inexpensive end my favorite is the Marlin 880 which I paid $194 for in 1998. It's no longer made but we bought the version that seems the same, except this one has tap holes and does not have a checkered stock, for $160 at Bass Pro Shops this weekend. It's the Marlin 925. I have not shot it yet but the Marlin 880 with Eley Target Ammo in it shoots a group the size of a quarter. Federal ammo, forget which type, works OK too but the group is a bit larger. I've used the Ruger 10-22 and in the low end configuration do not like it. The stock is too small and feels like a toy to me. I have used the high end, as in $1600, tricked out 10-22s and they are very nice but don't own one - too expensive for me. My experience is that the ammo is way more important than the rifle so stay away from Thunderbolt and most of the Remington rounds at least with the Marlin 880. I have scopes on both of them but used to shoot well with the iron sights when I was younger. There is a low end, like $40, Simmons scope on the Marlin 880 and an older Tasco (made in Japan - shows the age) on the Marlin 925 that someone gave me for fixing their computer - didn't ask for anything but it's nice and I can't wait to try it. I've heard the rifle made in Brazil is pretty good but don't remember the brand name. I've held one that was listed in the $300s and it was very nicely made.

#18 ·
Two angles to consider. On one side, you can get more accessories for a 10/22 than you'll ever need. On the other hand, something like a Marlin Model 60 or one of the 7 series will out shoot it and probably come cheaper, but you're stuck with the gun as-is because you can't even find so much as an extended mag most of the time.

#19 ·
I now own several Remington Mod 12C's and I love'm all.

I really like my 12CS. (Rem Special-WRF). What a nice piece it is.

Of course I still have my JC Higgins semiautos. They are a blast to shoot!

#20 ·
This is true. The 10/22 has so many accessories nobody has a clue how many are available - one catalog alone can contain hundreds.

UPDATE - The Marlin 925 shoots as well as the Marlin 880. I also use the Model 60 mentioned and in my opinion it is a better quality 22LR semi-auto than the Ruger 10-22 though both feel short for me - they're both carbine style which are short by design. One thing I liked MUCH better about the Model 60 is when the magazine, in this case it was a tube, empties the bolt stays open. When it empties on the 10-22 the bolt is closed.

Two angles to consider. On one side, you can get more accessories for a 10/22 than you'll ever need. On the other hand, something like a Marlin Model 60 or one of the 7 series will out shoot it and probably come cheaper, but you're stuck with the gun as-is because you can't even find so much as an extended mag most of the time.

#23 ·
Getting in on this a bit late, but have been shooting 22 rifles for a long time.. as in over 50 years. Had a couple of 10/22's but got rid of them. Rotary magazine was okay, but rifles weren't that accurate, and they were too small for me.

I do have and shoot a Winchester 62A pump gun, and it's Rossi knock off. Both with tubular magazines. Then there are the Remington's...a 597 semi-auto, a 550-1 semi-auto (tubular mag), a Nylon 66, and my latest acquisition, a 582 bolt action, also tubular magazine. Then there is the little Marlin 783T in 22 Mag, with tubular magazine.

For accuracy, the Remington 582 and the Marlin are so close that it's hard for me to say which one is most accurate. The 597 autoloader is a close second.

But I do love to shoot all of them, and they have provided me with many hours of fun and relaxation as well as some sumptious table fare. :)

John

#24 ·
Well we have herd all about the virtues of the simi-auto clan, and what
they prefer, don't take it wrong there are alot of them out there,and they are
all good! how about the bolt preference, I just got a cz 452 lux and I haven't shot it yet I have shot a friends and 1 inch groups at 100 yds told him I WANT
one! stopped that day and orderd it, should be in sometime this week

#25 ·
Hey, da357mag, I want to know how you like the CZ452 Lux when you get out and shoot it. I've been wanting one for a long time. Tried to order one through CZ (get a discount), but haven't been able to get to a real person to order one up. That is top on my list for my next .22 at the moment.

I'm with TTLongrifle. Thunderbolt has to be about the nastiest .22lr ammo out there. Wouldn't put that in my rifles if you paid me. Get a good rifle and don't shoot anything unjacketed through it. All of my rifles seem to do just fine with Federal ammo, so it's usually my ammo of choice.

#26 ·
The Browning model 241, aka ATD, .22 semi is the finest shooting little .22 to come down the pike in the last 100 years. It came out first as the Remington 24 when Browning let them use the patent for 40 years or so. Browning started making them in the early 50s or so in Belgium, and then moved the manufacturing to Nikoru in Japan in the mid '60s or so. Accurate, and as far as mine have been, fail-safe. And you don't spend hundreds of dollars converting triggers, barrels, etc., etc. to get them to shoot like they should to begin with.
Remington 24

Browning 241

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.