Which .22 rifle for a beginner?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by perrypan, Aug 31, 2005.

1. perrypan

perrypan New Member

Hi, my name is Perry. I am a guy who is totally new to firearm. I want to start with .22 rifles since they are relatively cheap. Now I have a few candidates in mind. Please tell me which one is the best buy. I am looking for a rifle that is able to shoot accurately, and I wish I can put a scope on it easily. .22LR is the caliber I want, right? Lastly, is AO important for .22 rifle scope? Just wondering~

Candidates:
    Remington 597
    Ruger 10/22
    Savage Arms Mark II
    Marlin 795
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Howdy and welcome to our humble home. Since you are new to firearms, I would hope you would seek out some form of firearms safety course to start with.

Now, as your top two choices are semi-automatic, these are not known for their accuracy right out of the box. You would need to add to the existing rifle to get it to be a target rifle. If I may, I would suggest a simple bolt action rifle to start with. I have one of the Romanian Training rifles, like the one below and it is quite accurate and available for under $100. The receiver is grooved for a scope and rings can be had from KwikSite for this rifle.

Unless you are putting a centerfire rifle scope on this gun, there is no need for an Adjustable Objective lens on this type rifle. A fairly low priced Simmons should do you just fine for plinking.

Romaninan Training Rifle M1969
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi perrypan.......welcome to TFF.

Yes, .22 Rimfire is definitely the way to go for a first rifle. They're reasonably inexpensive, accurate, and cheap to shoot.

I'd suggest that your first rifle be a bolt action. Savage Mk. II, Marlin 900 series, Remington 500 series, or similar rifles. The Romanian that Tex recommends is an excellent first rifle.

As a first rifle, a bolt action encourages you to take aim, rather than "spray & pray" with a semi-auto.

There are good, fairly inexpensive scopes to fit almost any bolt action .22 made.

Remember, for a first rifle, get something of decent quality, but don't go overboard on the expense. This is a rifle to learn with and have fun with. Later on, you can always trade up.......but for now, keep it simple, keep it reasonably inexpensive.....and have a ball! :)
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Glad to see you at TFF, perrypan.

I would agree with Plano and Racer that you meed a simple bolt action to begin with. There are several good one available and you will never regret having one. I started on an ole Winchester model 67, which was and is a great, accurate single action bolt .22.

Hope you will stay with us and report your progress as you get into this fine hobby.
    :) :) :)
  5. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

How about A Henry? Straight shooters out of the box!
  6. perrypan

perrypan New Member

Thanx a for the suggestion, but I forgot to mention I have had a lot of spring airgun experience. They are not a toy. They can usually shoot up to 1000FPS. Spring airguns are known for huge two direction recoil, and requre some skills to aim. I guess I am not so noob if considering airguns experience. Actually, I am more interested in buying a semi-auto .22 rifle as my first gun since there is no semi-auto for airgun. You know. After spending so much money on training course and liscense. It's natural to look for some difference. I have heard about ammo jam for 597, Ruger 10/22 is nothing but for mod, and Marlin 60 is a sweet rifle right out of box? Please give me info on semi-auto rifle then. Sorry that I didn't specify that in the beginning. BTW, wouldn't you guys think bolt action too basic or too troublesome? I am just afraid being laugh at at the range. If still think that's the best choice for me, please tell me which one is best buy. :D
    I am too new to firearms, and things like:
    "Savage Mk. II, Marlin 900 series, Remington 500 series, or similar rifles. The Romanian that Tex recommends is an excellent first rifle."
    "How about A Henry?"
    still not specific for me. :cool:
  7. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Well, now that we have narrowed it down. I would suggest a Thompson Center .22 semi-auto. These are shooters right out of the box. You will not be disappointed. I believe there are two models.

LTS
  8. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I'd buy a Ruger 10/22 with a nice scope.
  9. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

I own a Ruger 10/22 with no regrets.I also own a Reminton mod 60 semi-auto, Colt Colteer semi-auto,Chimpmunk bolt action 22, Reminton bolt action,Reminton model 12 pump 22,and an Ithaca lever actoin 22,but the Ruger is my all time favorate.If i did not own the Ruger 10/22 I would consider theThompson Center 22 semi- auto.
  10. perrypan

perrypan New Member

Thanx for the reply. :) BTW, what kind of Ruger 10/22 should I get? I know a lot of people have been talking about how good 10/22 are after mod. But how is it right out of box? Is the Deluxe and Sporter edition worth the money? Somebody in the forum mentioned that one just need to get the most basic 10/22 first since we need to mod 10/22 anyways. That sounds a bit odd to me because I am not interested in doing that. :rolleyes: Some suggestion plz...
  11. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Get the Thompson Center .22 auto. It needs nothing. Trust me, if you don`t want to modify a 10/22. And the TC will hold it`s own right out of the box.

LTS
  12. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

CZ 452 (bolt) or Ruger 10-22
    Huck
  13. moontroll

moontroll New Member

Marlin 7000 for an auto,best auto out there.Marlin bolt or CZ american the CZ,s are a little better but a little higher.Go to walmarts web site and look them over.unless you are willing to spend a lot of money on a scope get an ao scope,or one for a rimfire.A high quality scope wont have much in the way of parallex but the cheaper ones will.Marlin 7000 with a Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x40 with ao tough combo to beat.
  14. Elandur

Elandur New Member

I agree with those who suggested the Romanian M1969. I picked one up a short while back and I'm very pleased with it. It's my first "real" rifle (I've had pellet and BB rifles in the past. They were good practice :) ), and I absolutely love it so far.
    There were a few problem at first. Sometimes it wouldn't feed right, and sometimes it wouldn't eject the brass. But now that I'm used to the rifle it shoots great. Fixing the small gripes comes second nature to me now. A round wont feed right? I pull the bolt back a little (But not enough to eject that unused round.) and then try again. Doing this once or twice makes the round feed fine. Brass diddn't eject? Just tip the rifle to the right and it falls right out. These fixes barely make me break my shooting rythm.
    And it's quite accurate, too. From 25 yards I rarely have a round land out of a 4" (measured across) ring. And I'm not exactly a veteran shooter. The first time I picked up a real gun was a couple months ago, maybe.
    With little to no experience, you can take that rifle out to the range and have a blast with it. And it's cheap, too. They seem to go for around 60-100 dollars. I got mine for $60 (It was $99 after all of the fees and paperwork) at the local range.
    The scope might be a problem though. Most of them seem to accept a scope fine. I tried the scope I have on another M1969 they had at the range and it fit perfectly, but the rail on my M1969 seems to be too small to accept the same scope. No idea why :-/
    Overall it's a good and inexpensive rifle.
  15. stash247

stash247 New Member

I agree with the 'bolt action' part, and will offer, in re, scopes:
    Anything you shot on a spring piston air rifle, scope wise, is much more than you need on a .22rf, but will work just fine; the adjustable objective is to correct for paralax, since most cf scopes are built and adjusted for 100 yds., and sometimes are iffy at 50.
    The Remington 500's, specifically the 510 (single shot), and the 513, ( a serious target rifle) can be had fairly reasonably, and shoot better than most can hold.
    Winchester built a model 75, both as a target rifle, and a sporter, another excellent choice.
    The Anschutz model 64 actions(several variations exist) are the ones with the Chrome bolt, and they all shoot pretty well, too.
    Hope this gives you something more to work with.