1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

which .223 bolt action

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by rik, Jun 26, 2003.

1. rik

rik New Member

OK ya'll
    Your answers to my questions, added with other research I've done have led me to the conclusion that I would like to buy;

A .223 cal. bolt action, stainless steel, synthetic, with a heavy barrel. I wouldn't mind a fluted barrel either.

Ok I also have some questions

What is a bull barrel?
    What is short action, compared to long action?

Now the hard/funny part
    Does anyone know where I can find my dream gun for under five hundred bucks.

now give me your opinions as to which make/model to buy, and if neccesary forget about keeping it under 500.

Thanks for all your replies, and answers. This is a great forum.

rik
  2. NuclearMeltdown

NuclearMeltdown New Member

Look at the Ruger Model 77 MkII All-Weather...It doesn't have an especially heavy barrel but, from what I hear, is supposed to be accurate. It comes with free scope rings too, which will save some $$$. Runs between $425 and $500 depending on your firearms dealer. I think I'm gonna end up with one in .223 here soon...If I do, I'll post some targets and information.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

A bull barrel is another way of saying an extra heavy barrel.....used primarily for bench rest target or long range shooting.

Whether a rifle has a short action or a long action depends on the caliber. Short cartridges (.223, .308, etc.) will have a short action. Long cartridges (.30-06, .270, etc.) require a long action.

Take a look at the Savage 12VFSS: http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire/varmint/12fvss.htm

Sounds like what you're looking for and you can probably find it discounted for about what you want to spend
  4. Elarski

Elarski New Member

Check out GunBroker.com ,that's where I found my Ruger 77MkII Stainless Laminated .223. It doesn't have a heavy barrel, but it's quite a shooter! It's very accurate. I got it used, but it looked brand new, and it was under $400 out the door (purchase price, shipping, & dealer /state fees).
    :cool:
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2003
  5. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

There is a bench gun that remington makes its a 700 but it has another number to it, its a 700 varmit conversion thing is a one hole gun pretty much.