which .50 cal to buy.

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by flynhghr2001, Feb 10, 2007.

1. flynhghr2001

flynhghr2001 New Member

After years of saving i can finally afford a .50 cal. I have narrowed it down to a EDM Windrunner M96 and a Barrett M82A1. I was wondering what people could tell me about these 2 weapons.
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Semi auto VS Bolt

I guess it would come down to what you are going to use it for, are you going to be shooting in competitions?...Either way I'm envious. :D

Personally, I'd go for the Barrett because of their reputation.

Crpdeth
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I have shot 2 50 bmg in my life one was a single shot bolt and one was a semi-auto
    They both are good guns but personally the semi-auto wins hands down or at least that is what my shoulder said to tell you
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

:D :D :D :D :D :D
  5. The only .50 BMG I've had opportunity to fire is the Barrett, and I must say, I was most impressed. Face it, folks, the .50 BMG is a VERY powerful round, arguably among the most powerful ever chambered in a rifle. Consequently, it kicks like an old angry mule on a bad hair day. :D To me, the only configuration that makes any real sense--assuming you want to fire more than a couple of rounds on a given day--is the recoil-dampening semi-auto. Both the rifles you named, flynhghr, are indeed magazine-fed semis. I would go with the Barrett simply because of its outstanding reputation.
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

If I could find one around here, that I could buy FTF,
    (at the right price ;) ) I would buy the Barrett.

I like that he quite selling to LEOs in Calif, because of their policies, too. :D
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thanks for clearing that up Rich, guess I was blowing steam again...I was thinking the EDM Windrunner M96 was a mag fed bolt gun. :D

I'd still go with the Barrett.

That was definately part of my thought process as well.

Crpdeth
  8. Donny, nope, my bad, you are correct and I was the one in error. The EDM Windrunner M96 is indeed a magazine-fed (5-round) bolt action design. EDM does also make a semi-auto as well, which is what I was thinking of it would seem. I should never depend on my memory at this age! ;) For that matter, Barrett too makes a bolt action, the Model 95, in bullpup configuration, but the Mod 82 is semi-auto. Whatever the case, I would still choose the semi-auto over the bolt because of the reduced recoil if for no other reason, and the Barrett over the EDM for its quality reputation. And yeah, I agree, what Barrett told those idiots in California got a "right on" from me as well! :D
  9. seward

seward Former Guest

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  10. Depends on exactly what you mean by "practical," Seward. For the military and police, it is frequently used as a long-range, very deadly, sniper rifle. For civilians, it's mostly used for long-range competition shooting and plinking. The accurate range on these weapons is astounding. A 3000 yard accurate shot is quite possible.
  11. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Punching holes in paper.

I'd not hunt with it. Nor would I use it as a self-defense round. If I was in the military, I'd use it to take out unexploded ordnance and send BGs to their heavenly rewards from a LONG ways away.

But, as I am a civilian and won't be shooting unexploded mortar shells, etc. I think I'll stick with making holes in paper from a very long ways away.
  12. Yup, very BIG holes. :D
  13. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Ron Barrett also refuses to service the Kal L.E. owned Barrett rifles. Now that's a Business Man w/ some guts! :)
  14. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

I've only ever shot one, the M2HB,
    and got to hold a Armalite at the pawn shop. ($2,500)
    I've never seen the Barrett or the EDM in person.
    I was impressed with the Armalite!!!!
  15. stash247

stash247 New Member

Ronnie Barrett, for those who have not heard, told the Chief of the LAPD, that, based on the position of the Mayor, and others, that the 'local yokels' had no need of such weapons, that, if they would like the rifles they had in his shop, for repair/service, they would need to come and pick them up, as he was no longer shipping, to Ca!
    The guy has no problem putting his money where his mouth is!
    How would this affect the treatment one would recieve, in warranty service, do you suppose?
    The US Military likes the product, and they are a tough crowd!
    Were I to 'get the bug', for such a rifle, he is the only source I would consider!