which .50 cal to buy.

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by flynhghr2001, Feb 10, 2007.

1. teacherboy

teacherboy New Member

While I have no real need for the 50 it sure is intriguing to read about them. I just picked up the Barrett magazine the other day. Wow is all that I can say. What an amazing weapon. I would love to have one but I don't know of a range in my state where I could truly use it's capabilities. The 416 Barrett is even more interesting. Great guns and awesome holes!:eek:
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Range?
    I don't plan on using no range.
    I'm setting targets on one mountain top, then driving over to the next one to shoot the targets. Will use a telescope to check the targets. You have to set up enough targets to make it worth while.

Just funnin ya teacherboy.
    There is a range around here that has 1000 yard targets, but I WOULD (at some point) be wanting to try shots farther than 1000 yards.
  3. teacherboy

teacherboy New Member

Have you seen the military videos where the sniper is picking off Taliban soldiers on the mountains? If you haven't its a tremendous show of the 50's power. These guys were literally exploding. :eek:
    I'd love to try the 50 at least once. To hit something at that distance would be quite fun. Good luck.
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Barrett builds a bolt gun, too! His semi is the accuracy 'benchmark' for other builders, but, I have it on pretty good authority, that the bolt gun is in fact, the better shooter; also, the 'recoil champ'!
    Reports from Afghanistan, and Iraq, indicate effective (1 Shot) use, of both, at ranges exceeding 2300 meters, by trained operators, supported by accutate ranging (laser), and accurate conditions(spotter). FWIW, this is about 1 7/16 miles, and we're talking "Hit the bottle, and blow the cork out", kinda shots, on exposed human targets! At a mile and a half!
    As an 'anti-materiel' weapon, they can stop a convoy of 'technicals' from over two miles!
  5. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I have mine stashed in a secret place in my bedroom.

A Connecticut Valley Arms 50 cal. It's a hoot to shoot. Gotta wait fer a breezy day tho or you'll never know if ya hit anything or not. That charcoal sure makes a lot of smoke.

It is a tack driver, have won a coupla meat shoots out here in the high desert. No trophies or such just a roast or a mess of pork ribs on occasion.
  6. Altieb

Altieb New Member

I know this thread is kinda old, but I wanted to add that in my mind, the EDM and the Barrett are two different kinds of weapons. The Barrett is more of a spray and pray kind of rifle. Don't get me wrong, its not inaccurate. But it is also not surgical in the way that the EDM is. So I think, while you cannot go wrong with either, if you are oriented toward precision shooting, the EDM is probably the better rifle. And while I have never heard of a quality complaint with EDM, I cannot argue with the point that Barrett has a longer and deeper history and track record.
  7. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Teacherboy, it turns out that the video you spoke of was a fake. From what I understand, the video was made by a couple of varmint hunters shooting at rodents with a long range varmint rifle.
  8. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Ya, I figured they where something like small goats because a .50BMG wouldn't make a man spontaneously explode like that.
  9. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

This is one Seward that would go with the Barrett for the reputation that it has. You are one lucky person to have even gotten to the point of trying to decide. The .50 may come in very handy someday.
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

Gene, I never met Ronnie Barrett, but the elite of the special ops folks, the Navy SEALS, seem to like his work, and turn in more than 'credible' results, with it, often, at more than a mile.
    I like Ronnie's attitude, towards the Republik of Kalifornia, and would, given the funds, and need, buy his product based on that, alone!
    I do business first, with folks who do business with me, folks I know, folks I like, and trust; Barrett is only one of these, (I trust him) but it is enough that he has the public 'balls', to tell a very profitable market to basicaly 'kiss his a**' over their politics.
    Principle over profit; a rare scenario, in business, but, at work, here!
  11. KJHB

KJHB New Member

12. midnight_cougar

midnight_cougar New Member

Is there a difference in the accuracy in the bolt action barret .50 or the semi-auto barret .50cal? I am just askin if the action would make a slight difference at 1000yards + and would it have the same bullet drop and all the same numbers (muzzle velocity and power)

I saw that video along time ago and if it isn't real people it was still awesome and made me want a barret even more.
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

Cougar, the ballistics are in the ammo, not the rifle.
    The Barrett M-82 is enough rifle, for our Soldiers, in Iraq, and Afghanistan, to take out a man, at half a mile, and they are using de-linked Machine Gun ammo, nothing special.
    What is special, is the builder of the rifle!
    For a man to tell a lucrative market client, like the state of California, to basically 'go jump in the lake', because he does not like their politics, is rare.
    Ronnie did just that, and told the Police Chief, of the LAPD, that if he wanted the weapons in for service, he would have todrive to Az, and pick them up, as he no longer would ship, to California, because of their politics.
    This, with the known quality of his product, puts me over the edge; this is the guy I would do business with.
  14. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I know this is an old thread, but a very good use for these 50 cal weapon is africa's big game. Supposedly it's a fine round for that, though not quite as "effective" as the .577 and some of the other really large rounds. I put effective in quotes because that's like saying the 223 is not as effective as the 22-250 at 200 yards on varmints, not much difference in the instantly dead animals. I suppose the fmj bullets would be okay on some of the long distance game like sheep, antelope, and elk. I would imagine expanding bullets to be a bit much. And the fifties must be an awfully lot of fun (and expensive and equally if not more painful) on varmints.

I have a few places where I could shoot one, but none availible. Oh well...
  15. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    I have shot Barrett.50cal bolt action rifles, great rifles and lots of fun. But I have also shot with the Steyr HS.50 cal rifle......that's my favourite so far.
    And only $5000 , I'm just $4999 short at the moment.

"yes we can own these in the UK, but not a pistol".

Attached Files: