Which 9mm?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by klampton317, Sep 2, 2008.

1. klampton317

klampton317 New Member

Im turning 21 in a few months and im doing some research in order to decide which gun I should get. So far im interested in three different ones. The s&w m&p(full frame), the Beretta 92fs, and the beretta 90 two (all chambered in 9mm). I have actually shot the m&p and really loved it. On the other hand I have always wanted a 92fs. From my understanding they are all similarly priced for the most part...... give or take about $100. Out of the three what would you get quality wise? thanks for any advice.
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Any one of the three qould be a good choice. However, I strongly recommend that you find a range which will rent you one of each and try them.

Fit and feel are very important to your carry piece. If it fits you, you can be accurate under stress. If you feel good about your choice, you will carry it.

Pops
  3. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Like Armed said, shooting them is more important than anything else. Also know what the intent is, a great range gun is not necessarily a good choice for concealed carry.

As to which one, I can't recommend as I have no love for any of those. I can say, for the most part, I hear better things about SIG, but neither Sig nor Beretta would be my first picks.

I would highly recommend you shoot other's as well. As most people are probably sick of reading, but it's a great lesson... when I first started looking at what I wanted, I only rented stuff out of boredom. I knew Glock was the only gun for me, I had shot my dad's department-issued G22 off and on for 7 some odd years, but figured as long as I was paying to rent something, I'd have a little fun. First tried a Springfield XD and instantly fell in love- shot the thing better on my first try than I had ever shot the Glock in those 7 years.

Convinced fitting the gun to the shooter is about more than stats on paper I rented many others, won't list them all but anyway ended up shooting an H&K USP .45 and, though I didn't shoot it nearly as well as the XD, fell in love with it and now carry one every day.

Now my eye is on an XD, and a .38 special revolver to boot.

Anyway- try shooting other guns, you may be surprised!

And welcome, you'll find this to be a great community with lots to offer. Keep us posted!
  4. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Due to my recent experience with S&W, if you want to go with them, choose an older one. IMHO they have forgotten how to make a good gun. But just got a Beretta 92 9mm. Its great!!!! Feels good, easy to handle and easy to field strip. I did buy it used but it had not been shot very much. As others have said, make sure the gun fits you. I will never forget drooling over a Kimber--still do, awesome looking gun. I put it in my hand and I hate the way it feels. Take your time, hope this helps.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  5. Before you finally make a choice, try out a Glock 17 or 19, klampton. People tend to either love or hate Glocks, but if you are one of those who like them (I am), you will be glad you did. The Beretta is a fine weapon, but it's primary drawback, in my opinion, is its size. It's a big pistol for the round it throws. Not a very good choice for a concealed carry weapon.
  6. 2000man

2000man New Member

Re: Detonics and Springfield Armory (Just posted this on another page in F. Forum)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detonics had, in recent years, offered the Combatmaster in 9mm...

http://www.gunblast.com/WBell_DetonicsCM.htm

The company has re-grouped but some nines are probably with distributors?

"Sarah Connor's" gun is on the far right in the photo at this link!! (Well, same model.)

http://www.impactguns.com/store/detonics.html

"Google" Detonics and see all what's been going on.

Springfield Armory always has nice stuff. I'm partial to a Commander sized 1911 they've offered in the past in 9mm -- can't find a photo though. But, here's the full-size 1911 in 9mm.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=23

The EMP...

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun.../spemp_010807/

http://www.bigskyguns.com/1911_Pisto..._1911_EMP.html
  7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

You do realize that the SfA 9mm 1911 is over $1000 and that his budget is around $600-700.

Look around and see if there's a dealer selling a Sig P6 at or around $270. I, personally, would go for a Glock 19.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

klampton,

I have several 9mm and love them all. If you are going for a pistol to carry concealed, I would not recommend either one of the Beretta's as they are a little bit on the large size. I think that the quality of the Beretta's are very good overall. The quality of the Beretta PX4 storm is also very good and it is a little smaller than the other two you mentioned. I do not own a Smith semi-auto so I can't say much about them except that I hear good things about the M&P.

If you do not plan on carrying, then all three you mentioned are very good guns. I personally prefer the Sig Sauer P6 which can be bought for about $300. It is a great shooter and can be concealed a little easier than the Beretta's.

What ever you choose, have fun with it and know that if may be your first handgun, but if you are like the rest of us here - it most likely won't be your last one.
  9. stetson

stetson New Member

My two favorite carry pistols glock 17,26.
  10. crsides

crsides New Member

I picked up an FN P9m a few weeks ago and really like it. It is double action/single action with a decocker. The grip can be adjusted by the use of rubber inserts in the back strap. I have always had a problem on getting a comfortable grip on a double stack mag, but not with this one. It's a 15 shot and you get 3 mags with the gun. More compact than the Beretta which is what I did have.

They are going for around $450 .
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

CZ 75B.....most gun for least amount of money....all steel and will last forever...... serious following of supporters. Kadet 22LR conversion unit turns it into an excellent 22LR target pistol as well.

LDBennett
  12. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We

echo that, great value. but in DAO models, I like the Kahr and Sig DAK models.
  13. TDR911

TDR911 New Member

Walther P99 is also a good choice. But I still have and love Glocks. Try and rent or shoot all the ones you are interested in. Then if you are going to carry check how good it will conceal and what accessories are available.
    Of the 3 mentioned, M&P is definatly my favorite. I personaly own 1 in 40 S&W. Great gun.