The Firearms Forum banner

Which ammo to use

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Terry_P 
#1 ·
i am now using cci mini mags which are excellent should i also try winchester and remington? .22lr hv 40gr rn what is your opinion

#2 ·
I would give them a try, just to be able to compare with the results of your cci's. Winchester Super X may prove to be just as good for you.

#4 ·
super x is hollow point Walther does not recommend HP for Walther p22
They're worried about it possibly jamming up while feeding; I would cycle a few mags through just to find out. Maybe we can get some others inputs on this.

#6 ·
What are you using them for? If target shooting it is ok to experiment to find out what groups best for you but I like min mags in my .22. Unless you are hunting I don't see the need to be using hollow points. Just my opinion.

#8 · (Edited)
Beth, my wife's P22 eats up the .22 HP's just fine. For practice we use the Federal 550 Bulk Pack, which ar 36 gr. copper coated HP's. The CCI Mini-Mags are expensive and hard to find. Save them for when it matters like shooting competitions and hunting. :)

P.S.: Walmart carries the Federal 550's for about $14. That's just a little over 2.5 cents each and that's a lot of fun.

#9 ·
Howdy BETH....a good subject and thread.

I am in the process of building up a range shooter for myself...and going slowly. I am searching the vast number of used places and pawn areas of the vast DFW area(s).

I specifically want a 22 mag , bolt....with very good barrel. I expect to crown the barrel myself...and reblue and refinish stock.....etc...etc...a nice project...

Anyway, after I acquire this little rifle , used or new , I will indeed try to obtain as vast a selection of ammo, per maker and grain...etc.. as I do expect some to perform above others. History and physics dictates this ...

So...when conveinent , I would add my 2 cents and suggest you obtain as many different instances you can , and make serious notes as results.

This can even involve, noticing a user at range, and politley seeing if they are using some type you havent found yet....and trade ten of yours for theirs...etc....

But do this "whenever" possible...especially as to grains...and log results....typically.....you will find a series or group of ammo that defines itself to you and your particular rifle's preference......

Just chatting...but you are right on as to inquiring about using various rounds......HP not so much a factor for target I would feel , unless....that round is only variant or style you can get to try a vendor...?

regards,

yellerdawg :D

#10 ·
The big three, in American ammo makers, are Winchester, Remington and Federal. Coming in 4th would probably be CCI-Speer. A company that's been making large inroads is Aquila, out of Mexico. Then there is Ely, out of England, and RWS, out of Germany. Both of those are primarily target ammo, and are quite expensive. There are others - PMC, out of Korea. Armscorp, out of the Philippines. Wolf, which is usually Russian, but their 22s are made by RWS.

In my experience, Remington 22 ammo is crap. It's dirty. It jams. And it's not that accurate. Winchester is okay, but I've had real good luck, with all MY guns, with Federal Champion (Lightning/Power-Flite/Dyna-Flite/whatever they are calling it this year).

I emphasized MY guns, because 22s are picky. Some will work great with anything. Some only like one brand. Most are somewhere between those two extremes. Most guns seem to like Mini Mags. But the best suggestion I have for you is to buy a box of every type you can find. Shoot 'em from a rest, at a target. Keep records. Compare Remington Golden Bullet solids to Remington Golden Bullet Hollow Points to Remington Thunderbolts to Remington Subsonics to Federal Hi-Power to Federal American Eagle to Federal Champions to Winchester Super-X to Winchester Power Point to Winchester Wildcats to CCI Mini Mag solid to CCI Mini Mag Hollowpoint to CCI Blazer, to - well, you get the point. You might find out that the Mini Mags are giving you a one-inch group at 25 yards, and you're thinking that's great, and then you find that Remington Golden Bullets give you a half-inch group at the same distance, for less money. You really won't know until you try 'em.

#11 ·
But the best suggestion I have for you is to buy a box of every type you can find. Shoot 'em from a rest, at a target. Keep records.

Well...great minds do think alike.....:D

Reason I came back to post was....I ve got to find it on other forum, but recently saw "important " and real recall ....as to a 22 semi or ammo...?

Will go check , but if someone knows...might post.....?....

Wasnt the 10/22 mag......but might have been the 10/22 per certain ammo...? dont remember...but was a warning about pressures...? blow outs...?

I will try to find......dern...cant remember.......:eek:

#13 ·
Beth ,I went thru the same thing with my Sig doesn't like the low end winchester and remington,Federal bulk works real good in mine.Check the FPS and see which range works best in your gun,mine really like CCI stringers works better than anything I put thru my gun,down side is the price.

#15 ·
Try any and all, have fun thats the main thing. If you find a cheaper round that gives decent accuracy then you can shoot more of them for the same price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.