1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Which Anti-virus to use?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Popgunner, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

One of our computers at work has been taken over by "A360" virus that we've been trying to get rid of. Our next door neighbors at work are a computer software design company & when I went next door & asked them about it they said they have a computer that has the same thing & they havn't been able to get rid of it. My computer has Mcafee on it that didn't stop the virus & I've tried Spybot S&D & Ad-Aware anti-virus to get rid of it. Both seem to help for a few hours but then the computer runs slow & the A360 ads come back & take over the computer. The geeks next door told me the problem is that the virus is now in the boot section & hard to get rid of.

Any ideas?
  2. buffalo jump

buffalo jump New Member

Try AVG, and it's free..........I have it on my computer and like it so much that I bought the professional version.........:D:D:D
  3. jondar

jondar New Member

+1 on the AVG. Had the slowdown and the ads coming up, big ones, my son installed AVG and three days later computer speeded up and ads went bye-bye. Not sure whether this is a free trial or pay. I'll pay rather than give it up.
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Wipe it clean and start over. And QUIT DOWNLOADING ADULT MATERIAL ONLINE.... :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  5. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

Dear Popgunner,

use this link for problem you explained...

" have a A360 virus on my computer i cant get on the Internet because its telling me that i have to run this A360 scan in order to fix my computer, I know this is a virus but i can't delete it on my computer? help!"

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop (or other place) from here:

http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    o Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    * then click Finish.
    * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    *Run a Full Scan.
    * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Save that log and reboot normally.

Avg (new platform) is good as is Spybot and many. NO one platform will be 100% all the time and for everything...due to the nature of the beast(s) changing their attacks.

You can pay for commercial platforms, but the freeware or donate ware ones should suffice , PROVIDED you utilize what is a requirement of the best Commercial ones ....

and that is ..that you continuously operate system(s)
    in such a way , that requires a "user input or decision" to be made and disallow or allow suspected registry or program changes. This is sometimes not a good option for standalone servers or unattended sys.

I have checked the above link and is safe and from good makers. You can remove problems and update for free, however a fee or license is required for "realtime " protection or the ability to STOP a malware from executing.

I had the good fortune to be involved with the design and
    manufacture of the first z80 based pc TRS 80 by Tandy in mid to late 70's. I have stayed with PC and networking developments since. Fortunately . my good friend nearby is also my mentor, having a doctoriate relating to comp science.

I mention this , as there are a lot of"experts"., but we all need two heads together sometimes. I joined forum in 11/08 after losing mom and getting into 1911's again. At that time I was hearing of sad loss of forum founder and owner. At that time I posted an offer to help staff and any with any PC issues or Networking. Due to retiring per injury recently, I have more time now to stay involved helping friends.

Please call on me my email if I can help anyone.

Regards,

1shot

PS Wanted to add., per this or other scanners , no matter what found or not..reboot Windows to "safe Mode W/NETWORKING support and Rescan.......

1shot
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I also like AVG. I don't currently have it because my ISP provides McAfee also. However I recently had occasion to get assistance from Dell technical support. In the support session I gave them control of my computer and they downloaded some free software that is great. One is Super AntiSpyware and the other is Malwarebytes-anti malware. Both these programs picked up things that neither McAfee nor my previous Norton did.

I also like Trend Micro Housecall for a free online virus scan. Have used this one for years and found them to be fairly up to date.
  7. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Thanks guys.
    Glocknut, I think it was adult stuff. I use this computer to clean the spammers off our scrapbooking website evry day-about 400 a day. I have to make sure to let the ladies who are real customers on & sometimes to tell who they are I have to select the requester.

Thanks 1Shot I'm trying that now:)
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Oops..just noticed 1 shots post. Well, just second the vote for Malwarebytes. It is good.
  9. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

10-4 Popgunner, shouild take care of that particular problem u mentioned..but will guarntee you that if you inded have th eone u mentioned...it will also find OTHERS (trojans) you should get rid of as well........

didnt realize until running posted that Dell was pushin this scanner too....

feel better about recommending it noww.....

when ur PC blows up......I woul donly have to say...but gosh...Dell uses it.....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

later,
  10. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  11. oldredneck

oldredneck New Member

I'm a retired network administrator and I still work part-time as a computer tech. All the free AV stuff is okay but the best course of action is to bite the bullet and pay $40.-$50. for a complete internet suite protection package giving you a intrusion firewall, AV, spyware, malware protection. What most people don't understand is there is normally a 24-48 hour lagtime between when a virus or other malware begins to hit computers and/or networks and the AV companies have a solution or removal tool to be downloaded. Anytime you open unexpected e-mail attachments or download freeware from the net, you risk getting infected.

On the job we normally use free tools like AVG, Vipre, Spybot, Ad-Aware, or Malwarebytes in cases where customers, very foolishly I might add, don't have any protection. We are having a problem with Antivirus 2009 and it's variants around here, it pretends to be a free anti-virus program and I've had many cases where when it is fully installed the only way to clean it is to blow away to OS and re-install from scratch. This virus is a Java exploit and I believe it poses as a Java update. My CA protection suite flagged a Java update on my computer as having a virus, I canceledthe update and downloaded directly from Java.com.
  12. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

+1, Kaspersky is the single best anti-virus available.

There are other things that people are talking about, there is a difference between Spyware and Viruses, etc.

I take it back. The single best anti-virus out there is not opening random **** :D, then Kaspersky is the second best ;).
  13. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Happy Happy Happy!!
    I ran the malware that 1Shot recomended & so far so good. speed has come back up & no popups so far. I really do appreciate you guys responses with other cleaners & before it's over I may have to throw the whole kitchen sink at it. I'm hunkering down & holding my mouth just right, & I've told everyone in the office to talk quietly so as not to provoke that spyvirus stuff....:eek:

Many thanks:D:D:D
  14. Brian48

Brian48 New Member

I use AVG. Avast is OK too, but I've found it to be buggy on some systems.

Both are free.
  15. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Thank you sir:)