Which AR 15?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by lonewolf204, Jul 30, 2011.

1. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

If you were going to buy a new AR 15 in your honest opinion what brand is the best?
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. Juker

Juker New Member

Having done so earlier this year, it's Stag, baby.

Having been at the range while shooters with tricked out Bushmasters, DPMS, Rock River, and Yukon Frank's homemade AR15 kits were spending more time futzing with their weapons than they were shooting, my opinion was staunchly reaffirmed.

Granted, I don't know those shooters, and they might use Welch's Grape Jelly and Gorilla Glue for gun lube. I'm just sayin' - over 2,000 rounds so far and not a single malfunction of any type.

Question for me is, would I trust the lives of my family to this weapon? Unequivocally yes.

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=206

Includes hard case. And a STAG mousepad. :)
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I am a fan of DPMS.
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

BUILD IT.

a Drunk monkey with a tooth pick and a hammer could build an AR.

I am a huge RRA fan though. So if I were going to buy another it would be another RRA.

As long as you build with good part or buy from a good company your going to get a quality AR that will run like a race horse and be a very good gun.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I like the stags too. Dpms seem ok too. I ordered a guy a rock river 308 varment A4 and I was real impressed. I own a high standard. Hold them side by side to a bushmaster and put tape over the name, I would bet you cant tell the difference. Maybe some of you big time AR guys can but not me. If I didnt know any better, I would swear one manufacture makes the majority of them and stamps different names on them. I guess there is difference in accuracy, but all in all, the 700-900.00 range ARs are pretty comparable if you ask me.
  6. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

STag and DPMS are great....but I say build it yourself. That way you can save a few bucks and come out with a better gun.

I am a fan of the Rock River stuff though.
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I'm under the opinion that they're all pretty much the same.

How many upper and lower manufactureres are there?:confused:
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I too am a fan of building.. Get a DPMS Lo Pro upper and a matching DPMS lower, put a Magpul PRS buttstock on it, Hogue grip, Timney trigger. DPMS TiNi bolt carrier and gas key. Shilen select match Bolt and barrel in any of the chamberings supported by the AR-15 platform and a DPMS float tube over the barrel. Guaratee youd drive tacks at 200..
  9. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

Ive never thought about building one! I supose if build it the way I wanted it I'd be happy with it.:D
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Almost all of the commercial manufacturers put out products that will stand up just fine to the uses of the typical civilian shooter. Stag, DPMS, Rock River, Bushmaster, Armalite, Colt, and many others will function just fine.

I spent some time looking at many different manufacturers earlier this year, but I decided to build on my own. I should have it "complete" next weekend (only waiting on the red part).
    • Forged aluminum lower (mine is stamped R Guns; if they're mil-spec, they're identical)
    • Rock River lower parts kit with two-stage trigger
    • Hogue pistol grip
    • Tapco mil-spec T6 stock
    • 5.56 A3 upper, 1/9 twist
    • EOTech 512 holographic sight

I say "complete" because I'll eventually add back up sights (can't decide between Magpul and Troy) and probably switch out the BCG to one nicer than CMMG's.

Building is really pretty simple. It's definitely the way to go.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  11. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

You could solve this easily by buying one of each and then building one....LOL.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yes, and all it requires is a USMC M4 armorers tool..;) 50 bucks from brownells
  13. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

A build is nice but when I started into the AR world I am glad I bought my first one complete. Just a big tinker toy but it is good to have a base line.
  14. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Stag Arms all the way here. Have had it for a couple of months and several hundred rounds through it and not one problem. Accuracy is there!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  15. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I have a preban Colt A2 that I bought in late 80's for $440, 2 stag carbines 556 one is a piston too, a stag 6.8spc, and an Armalite AR-10 that I have only had for a few months.

Luv the Stags for the price & quality; I believe just as good as the Colt for functionality. I'd buy the 6.8 hand down over 556 though. My 6.8 gets hunted hard, my 556's never leave the vault. I should sell the 556's and get a few more 6.8's; but I figure more 6.8's will come home with time. Bad luck selling guns in the first place, leave the 556's sit in vault.

Get the Stag Carbine with 16 inch barrel in 6.8 spc, you won't look back; no joke.
  16. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Here's where I am with my build currently:

lower_05.jpg

Armalite stripped lower with Rock River parts.

For the upper I'm leaning toward Rock River, but Stag and Armalite are both seriously in the running. All three have great reputations and have what I want for around $500.

I must say that Palmetto State Armory (PSA) and Spikes Tactical are also very good AR suppliers.

There's a list going at one of the other sites that has over 140 different manufacturers that are currently putting out AR's. They really took the modular rifle concept to a whole new level. :cool:
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  17. 218bee

218bee New Member

Hi.....new to the board............
    I like the Bushmasters. Mine has had several thousand rounds through it. (about 15 years old) If I counted the malfuntions, I could use one hand and have three fingers left over. I believe I will be buying another barrel before the year is out. (I never shoot it with a "hot" barrel) it has just had a lot of ammo run through it and the barrel throat has erroded. (not as accurate as it used to be for sure). Bushmaster makes a really good AR....Just my $.02
  18. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Holy smokes Dale. Damn glad to see ya back here! :)
  19. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I got an e-mail from him today and he says he's been fighting computer problems. :(
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats been the story for some time. I hope he gets em ironed out. I miss that guy..