Which brand of primers do you prefer?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by springerbuster, Oct 12, 2009.

1. springerbuster

springerbuster Member

I know lately primers are hard to come by, so the answer to my question from many of you would probably be any brand that you can get. But given a choice what brands of primers would you rather use? I was lucky enough to pick up 2000 federal small pistol primers today. Are these as good as any? I might add that I will be loading 9mm and 40 S&W.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

they will serve you well. I much prefer winchester primers because thats what all my loads are currently worked up with, before the primer shortage my loads were developed using CCI magnums (250, 350, 450, and 550) I ran out of those and managed to come across 5000 of each size of winchesters at a gunshow. So, my favorite is what I currently have firearms specific data for;)
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Winchesters are my first choice. You shouldn't have any issues with the Federals, they are top quality also.
  4. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I prefer the Federal as I had problems with the win lg pistol. No misfires so far with the fed as I would have 1-2 with win.

Just my input

J
  5. muddober

muddober Active Member

Federals are my first choice, Winchesters are my second and CCI my third and a lot of that has to do with the box they come in. In other words they are all good.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I hate federal packaging. Its too big... I like the rem sleeves, small and compact. I store my primers packed in .30 and .50 cal ammo cans and the smaller the packaging the more I can get in there...
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Several years ago a magazine had a photo test of primers of all brands. Across the board Winchester primers were the most energetic, based on the photos. Until the recent shortage of anything gun related, the only primers I regularly saw at gun shows for sale were Winchesters. The pricing then was better than even mail order (no shipping). So all my loads are for Winchester primers. I waited for almost 6 months to get my now adequate supply of primers (Winchester) from my supplier via mail order. I am now setup for years to come.

So due to availability and pricing several years ago I settled on Winchester. My choice was backed up for me as a good one with the magazine tests. It also turns out that even today the most readily available primers to me are Winchester, so its Winchester for me. Your situation for availability may be different than mine. You need to choose a brand that is readily available in your area via gun shows or your local dealer. Of course today anything reloading is hard to find but the market place will eventually get saturated and the panic buying will stop and things will return to normal... hopefully.

I have been using Winchester primers regularly for at least the last 10 years and longer. I have never had a failure to fire due to these primers. If I did I would first suspect the gun and next suspect incorrect seating of the primer in the primer pocket before change brands of primers. Yes, I have had a few failures to seat the primers correctly which was a Dillon press problem easily solved by a call to them and new parts rushed to me to fix the problem.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

+1

I always used CCI until recently when the supply problem hit. I still like CCI, and will use them again when they become available in quantity, but I use Winchester, now.
  9. Archie

Archie Member

I use primarily Winchester primers. They were the most available (local gun show) and they work very well in my Dillon progressive. CCI also works in the progressive as well.

Federal give good results, but tend to collapse during primer seating (in the Dillon) more than others. On the other hand, some competitive shooters prefer Federal as they are believed to be easier to ignite in light hammer fall pistols and revolvers. Maybe that's why they collapse in seating?

Once seated, they all work pretty well. I don't recall any great propensity to misfire with any brand.

As has been implied by other posters, find a brand that works for you and stick with it after you work up a suitable load.
  10. gdmoody

Getting ready to order some reloading stuff from Widener's and the only small rifle primers (the only in stock primers at all) they have is Wolf.

I know I read some posts about Wolf primers but the Search does't take me there. Anyone have any thoughts about Wolf primers?
  11. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

gdmoody,

If wolf has primers, it may be as dirty as their ammo. Maybe bad ingredients to make the primer...personally I try to put cleaner and more quality components in my firearm...but one that I can trust...I do not trust wolf.

I have not had too many problems with wolf in 7.62 and 380 other that it being dirty, but do not trust it.

Cabelas has a 2 month waiting list roughly, I am sure you know the other sites.

J
  12. gdmoody

That is exactly my thoughts on Wolf too, I was hoping someone would tell me that I am all wrong about Wolf.:D Every other place I have checked has a 4 to 8 month wait for primers. I really don't need the small rifle right now but thought I would ask about them.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts, I guess.;)
  13. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Guys,

I watch powder valley regualarly and find the cci 41's coming in and out of stock almost every day. Paste this link to your favorites and check it daily you should be able to snag small rifle primers I just grabbed #34's a few weeks back and notice they are coming in too.

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/
  14. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Chevy, Ford, Dodge....Doesn't matter which one you get...The same with the name brand primers, Federal, Remington, CCI, Winchester, etc.... One may suit you a little better than another, but that's going to be gun specific. Your Savage may like Remington's better than CCI's, and your Remington may like CCI's better.

When you're getting that particular about what primers you are using, you should make sure that you have also invested in a good shooting table/rest set-up as that will make a bigger difference than the brand of primer that you're using.
  15. res45

res45 Member

Instead of repeating everything I know I will just do some cut and paste.

Wolf recommends the Small and Large Rifle Magnum primers for use in semi-autos because the Magnums have a slightly harder cup: “The Wolf Standard Small and Large Rifle Primers have an all-copper cup, which is a little more sensitive than the brass cup magnum primers. If you are loading for an AR15 or Military-style semi auto rifle, or are loading high pressure cartridges in any other type of rifle, we recommend the Magnum Small or Large Rifle Primers. Both primers use the same amount of compound. The only difference is in the cup hardness.” Same applies to handgun primers.

Test have shown that Wolf primers deliver very good accuracy and extremely low ES/SD with certain powders. (No guarantees–you need to test with your loads in your gun.) John Whidden used Russian primers to win the NRA Long-Range National Championship.

I would use them if they were available locally without hesitation,I'm pretty stocked on CCI and Win. that I bought local but I want order Wolf online just to have some.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009