which caliber for all around use?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by hunter29180, Sep 26, 2012.

1. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

That's a pretty substantial list of targets you put out. I think if it had to be just one gun I might go with the old tried and true 30-06. A lot of ammo options out there make it pretty flexible.
  2. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

The 30.06 does reach out a little farther with power but nothing you mentioned is going to kill a moose at 2000 yards. And IMO you should never try such a shot because even if you did hit the thing it would likely just be wounded and would wander away in great pain. It's unethical for a hunter to do that. I think you'll find that about 99% of hunters agree with that. There are those that just don't give a rat's rear but IMO those guys give us all a bad name and they should be shunned by the hunting community. In all the time I've been a hunter and all the time I've been surfing the internet gun boards I've never seen anyone mention trying to take that kind of game at that distance. I have seen very few talk about even shooting varmints at that range although there are some people who can do that. In fact the longest kill shot on record is 3120 yards on a p'dog by Kregg Slack. Slack claims to have shot one at 3650 yards but that isn't confirmed. Obviously there is a HUGE difference between a p'dog and a moose. So I'm not saying it's impossible to shoot an animal at that distance. I just don't think you can get enough power at that range with the calibers you mentioned to actually kill a moose or any of the other large animals you mention. And there are dang few people around that can shoot that far period. You may be one. I don't know. But if you want to shoot large animals at that range use a .50 BMG or maybe a 20mm cannon. Do you know how to fire artillery and do you have a good spotter?
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  3. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

A huey at 100 ft? that works. lead em a ways if they run though.
  4. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Well, I go with 30-30 because that's the rifle I have. It's my saddle rifle. Damn sure won't try to shoot anything 1500-2000 yards away though. Why would I try to shoot a deer or an elk almost a mile away or more?
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  5. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

Well learned a bit from the postingd on this subject!

not sure but dont think any of the people involved in this discussion would try to take a game animal past 500 yds...predators well thats another question...hence the longer ranges. the farther out you can shoot one that can shoot back the safer you are!
    ( course as you can see we were looking at a SHTF situation and looking at defensive capabilites also) if that changes things then please repost your opinions!

so far we have a (2) 30-30, (1) 7.62 x 54r and (1) 30-06. maybe the 30-06 isnt liked because its for a lefty? anyways the 30-30 ranked #1 among the women and the men are split beteen the other 2. I saw a russian Vepr 308 (which I really liked!)
    its out of stock but expected to get more within 6 mos.
    http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/russian-super-vepr-308-caliber-semi-auto

we felt we needed some thing that could reach out and touch something, but still remain practiful! we did indeed consiter some of the other calpers suggested. but most of those would put a hurting on the ladies who would also shoot them. the 308 seemed to be at the upper limit for recoil for the women to shoot comfortably. at least according to the 3 we have to "test" shoot the ones we have consitered.

of course we knew a 50 bmg would do the job but who wants to shoot something and then have to hike for a mile or more to get to it? what a waste! and the weight would kill you to carry for any length of time!
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If you think the .308 seemed to be at the upper limit for recoil for the women, then don't let them shoot the .06 in a bolt gun! Larger case, more powder, and possibly heavier bullets, and it will kick harder! I bought a .308 last year because I wanted to get back into the .06 class of guns, but I also wanted a bolt gun, .308 simply kicks less.
  7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

for sure.... imho.. 308 and 3030 feel real similar to my shoulder..
  8. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Why shoot cougars?
  9. al45lc

al45lc New Member

In fact I ignored the 1500-2000 yd mark for several reasons.
    No need or justification at that range, even a WELL trained sniper is pushing it at that range with specialty equipment.
    There are damn few places on this earth where such a shot can even BE made for that group of animals, antelope and caribou being the basic exceptions and if your familar with those animals normal territory, the wind is gonna make it near impossible, period.
    I've hunted antelope in Wyoming, the wind is a PITA MOST of the time.
    And even there the rolling terrain makes those ranges near unobtainable.
    The longest range parameters are simply unrealistic, period.
  10. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

^because they make good balogna and they are munching all the deer up here. there's tons of big mountain kitties, they've opened up more season and less equipment regulations trying to get the numbers down a bit.

chances of seeing one are slim to none though, they are the ultimate hunter and mostly are active dusk/dawn anyway or through the night moreso than day.

I generally hunt for meat and could care less about much else but if I get a chance at a cougar, well, that's just purely the satisfaction of taking the ultimate predator machine I guess.
  11. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Didn't we just do this for 300-400 yards?
    For any distance over 400 yards don't worry about the rifle, that distance tests the rifleman. I agree with the above, very few shooters have the training and dicipline for such shooting.
  12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I like the 7.62X54R, not so much for the caliber,

but because when you hunt wild boar, they tend

to get underfoot. The M44 is a handy carbine with a

built-in bayonet, for keeping them at bay, in short

brush.

OTOH, you can load 30.06 as light as 100 grain, for varmints, to

220 grain, for large game.
  13. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

is it legal to hunt with a bayo? hadn't ever thought about it.

I always have a knife with me.. have even had a bayo /knife with me a few times.. never had one 'fixed' though..
  14. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

umm we always called bayos "pig stickers" so why not? after all the tenderest spot on a hog is their nose. so when charged by one just stick the sticker in its nose and pull the trigger! the sticker keeps the muzzle from being clogged by the pigs body!
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

HA! that one made me laugh out loud..

If you ever find yourself treed by a determined pig a 16" spike bayonet isnt going to do you much good unless you can thrust that rifle with enough force to penetrate a 1/2" thick brow bone on a pissed off hog, then hold on to it with enough grip to keep the thrashing hog from ripping the rifle out of your hand.

Do yourself a favor and carry a little extra ammo. Bullets are way faster at killing and much safer to use in that situation.