which cartridge for a 1874 quigley sharps?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 21bravo, Apr 19, 2009.

?

which chambering for an 1874 sharps

Poll closed May 4, 2009.
  1. .45/110

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. .45/70

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

ever since i saw the movie "Quigley Down Under" i have been in love with the 1874 Sharps. specifically the "Quigley" Sharps. its just a beautiful weapon, imho. one from Shiloh Sharps costs $3248 as it comes...and you can choose either .45/70 or .45/110 chamber. ive already decided i will have one before i pass on, so now its just a matter of which cartridge. do i want one exactly like Matthew Quigley's and go with .45/110 or do i want to go with the more popular .45/70 ? id love to hear which cartridge you would choose and why... take everything into account...ballistics, price of ammo, reloading, etc. etc.

once i save enough to get one it will be used for silhouette shooting and also for hunting white taiL, and MAYBE some big game hunting out west.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Unless I was planning on either
    A - hunting buffalo with it, or
    B - shooting extreme long range targets,
    I'd get the 45/70. To get the same performance out of the 110 as you do out of the 70, you need more powder (because the case is larger, so with the same amount of powder you have less pressure). If it takes X grains of powder to push a 405 grain bullet at 1250 out of a 45/70, that same X grains of powder will only push that same 405 grain bullet around 1175 in the 45/110.

If I was hunting large animals, or shooting far far away, then I would use all the available range and power of the 45/110. But if I was just playing with it, at the range, at two or three hundred yards, I probably would not be shooting full-power loads (hard on both wallet and shoulder) so why buy the full-power gun?
  3. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

thanks for the input Alpo... makes sense:p and since i dont think its possible to hunt buffalo or bison legally i guess i should go with .45/70 ..again, thanks for the input
  4. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

Here is what will happen. If you limit any factor, there will always be a question in the back of your mind.

Given the fact these rifles are simply wonderful from another time, why limit it? You give up nothing and gain everything using the 45/110.
    It can be down loaded or uploaded.

With all being the same, I would not consider it a choice.
    45/110
  5. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Well, since i have also been looking at them, I was trying to answer that question myself. Being equal in all thoughts i think I would go with the 45/110. But that is just me. They are beautiful guns though, hope you get to enjoy many outtings with it.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Although, I suppose, if you got it in 45/110, and you just wanted to plink with it, you could always shoot 45/70s in it. Like shooting 38 special in a 357. Play with the light load, and then if you want the heavy load, you have the capability.
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

This is what I was thinking, too.
  8. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

would that be possible though?:confused: i mean, i know it is perfectly fine to do so with a .357 and .38spl but would it be ok to do that in a rifle?? i'll have to look into that!! i didnt even consider it:eek::rolleyes:

EDIT:
    .....well..... i called Shiloh Sharps out in Big Timber, Montana and talked to a lady in the customer service department. she told me that it was NOT possible to shoot a .45/70 cartridge in a rifle chambered for .45/110 .....so its back to the decision making:rolleyes::(
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The lady misinformed you. The physical difference between a 45/70 and a 45/110 is simply length.
    http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd4570government.jpg
    http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd45-110.jpg

They undoubtedly don't want you shooting the shorter cartridge in there. If you use black powder, it is possible that you will, by shooting the shorter cartridge, score your chamber, and then when shooting the longer cartridge have trouble loading it or ejecting it. You could get a build up, with smokeless, of lead shavings and bullet lube at the end of the 45/70 cartridge, which would also give loading and unloading problems with the 45/110.

But that doesn't change the fact that it will work.
  10. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

No-No-NO!!!!!!!!!!

You do not shoot the 110 in a 70 rifle, you download the 110 to 70 power!!
    Do not even go there....GOOD GRIEF!!
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Of course you don't shoot the 110 in a 70 rifle. It won't fit.
  12. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Absolutly, if you're hunting antelope, or polar bears, 110 is what you want, but if you're going to be going after white tail or silhouettes, the 70 is the ticket.
  13. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

There's not a whole lot gained with the larger case capacities, especially if the the rifle doesn't have a longer barrel for complete combustion.
    45-70 ammo and brass is waaaay cheaper than 45-110, and cheaper to reload for.
    45-70 can be shot in a 45-110 rifle, but it's not something you want to do unless in an emergency situation. 45-70 can be shot in a 45-90 with some loss of accuracy, but a thorough chamber cleaning is required before the 45-90 can be fired in it again.
    Out of all the Euro repros, the Pedersoli is the most well made. Most of the cheaper copies are marked "Black Powder Only". Stay with a smokeless version for the strength of the action, and the availability "of off the shelf" 45-70 ammo.
    There are a lot of places in the US that offer Buffalo hunts. Prices vary with choice of cow or bull, if you want the meat and keep the hide & head, etc.
    Even the anemic factory 405grn loads will drop a buff with a well placed shot.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id take the .45/110 for the authenticism, and you can safely chamber and shoot .45/90 and .45/70 cartridges in the .45/110. I too love the 'quigley' I will soon be adding one to my collection to sit beside my rolling block rifle...;)
  15. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

45/70, It's easier to get in a pinch, the other stuff if you don't load you're own, you're out of luck,

TW :D