Which competition?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by ckill1, Feb 28, 2010.

1. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

Long story short, I have whats called a goal-keepers injury to my left thumb(off hand) where 2 ligaments on the palm side are torn & my thumb tends to flop back onto the back of my hand. Doesn't hurt much but pretty much makes me want to vomit when I have to put it back!:eek: Anyway(I know, it IS a long story now!) I won't be golfing much this summer, so I thought I'd take up a shooting sport.

I'm not interested(& can't afford to anyway!) in driving long distances or purchasing a bunch of new equiptment just to compete in matches. I am interested in getting better at defensive shooting! I carry a Glock 30, but also own a 1911 or 2. I have an AR & a myriad of shotguns to choose from. Im not interested in gun snobs or eliteist competition fiends. Is there a competition where newcomers are welcomed & taught without regard to their background, but with their ernest interest in learning to do something right?

I would welcome any/all suggestions...

Chris
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

You can find snobs in every discipline. Then in the same crowd, some that are more than willing to help you along. If you are going to limit where you go, because there might be a snob there, you might as well stay home.

Have you looked in your area? A good place to start is IDPA. They pretty much WANT you to shoot your regular carry firearm. Nothing fancy.

Then there is USPSA (IPSC) who are a little more race gun orientated. You can still start with what you carry, and shoot it as long as you want. Whether you want to move up in equipment, down the road, is up to you.

There might be a 3-gun group close to you. Or a gun club that puts on matches. One gun club close to me, puts on matches all year, and in the summer has a couple of 3-gun matches. Ask around at the local gun shops. Or search online of course.
  3. wpage

wpage Active Member

Good advice...
    You could also check with NRA see what they have.
    Not certain how far you are from other events but DCM sponsors civilain events...
    http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
    look up what they have
    Good luck!