Which DA .45 ACP?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

cormacf
    (7/15/02 3:39:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Which DA .45 ACP?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi, all.

I'm in the market for a DA .45 ACP. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like something with a decocking lever, if possible. American-made is always a plus.

Thanks!

= ),
    c

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/15/02 4:51:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Which DA .45 ACP?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That would boil it down to Ruger, but I think you would find the Sig a better choice.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

Bompa
    (7/15/02 9:01:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Which DA .45 ACP?
    Not made in USA but hear nothing but good,try CZ..
    Have a 9mm and it is perhaps,in my opinion,one of the best
    that is available..If I wasn't gun poor with 1911's and needed
    or wanted a 45 I would seriously check out the CZ...

cormacf
    (7/16/02 10:17:47 am)
    Thanks!

cormacf
    (7/16/02 5:09:02 pm)
    So after visiting the local gun store, I've scrapped my "American" requirement. The Sig is just beautiful, but it's too pricey for me in .45.

I'm thinking under $500 right now, and I saw two fairly appealing options (both at $479):

1) The Ruger P90: Felt good in my hand. Slide was weird, but it felt right, had a nice trigger, and I really like the warranty.
    2) EA Witness: Also felt good, and it had GREAT sights.

Sinc e carry permits are virtually impossible to get in LA, this gun will be for target shooting and home invader shooting only, though I may carry it down the road if I move to Ventura or Orange counties.

Any thoughts on these or other similarly-priced guns?

Thanks!

= ),
    c

P.S. I looked at a new Colt 1911, and boy, was I depressed. What happened to the quality control over there? The whole thing was plastic (even the trigger), and it felt AWFUL. That's just sad tyo see a good gun and company fall so far.

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/18/02 4:12:49 pm)
    To all: this item caught my eye on the auctions...

www.forthehunt.com/auctio...em=4514200

I haven't owned or shot this pistol, but the sig/mauser combo is a new one to me. Any dealers familiar with this particular model or the product line? Thanks.

To cormacf: Have you considered looking at revolvers? S&W 625 comes to mind in 45acp, just a thought.

needleace
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/18/02 5:09:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Cormacf-
    The CZ97 and the EAA Witness are the best thing going in the under $500 crowd in the DA .45. I think you'll find that
    anything you read on these two will be affirmative. They are essentially the same gun. Tanfoglio makes the Witness and designed it after the CZ. You can get more info at
    www.tanfoglio.it.
    Also, try www.shooters.com for other websites associated with these two.
    If you can go higher in price, then SIG, HK, and Glock would warrant considerartion.
    -ace

Edited by: needleace at: 7/18/02 6:11:48 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/18/02 6:33:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

The M2-Sig/Mauser is a nice gun, I did a transfer of
    one of these awhile back however, I'm not sure how
    well they perform as I haven't fired one yet but it
    sure felt and looked great.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/18/02 7:01:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Waht calibers were the Browning BDM made in?
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

Bompa
    (7/18/02 9:06:15 pm)
    Check out the CZforum,,there is all kinds of informatoin there..
    Even the witness is discussed...

matt3310
    (8/1/02 2:53:11 pm)
    ive got one of the witness guns, i like the way it feels and shoots, but it has a tendency to jam often. i went with a glock, you cant beat it for the money!!

nemesis
    (9/3/02 8:38:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del One More
    I'm carrying a Para C7.45 LDA Companion which has the sweetest double action you'll ever feel. It's not made in America but Canada isn't a bad second choice for a country of origin.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/4/02 8:12:36 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: One More
    Warpig, the Browning BDA was made between 1977-1980 and same as the Sig 220. It comes in 9mm, 38super and 45cal.

My choice for a DA 45 (hands down) would be the Sig
    In this age where truth is fleeting and mass manipulation is common, the ability to detect when something doesn't make sense is a valuable one.

Silver72
    (11/5/02 1:49:47 pm)
    Hello to all! Just joined this great forum. I'm an old retired F--t that collects W.W.I an II military arms. I currently have a Para Ordnance 7.45 to play with and have found nothing to complain about. Accurate, reliable and a sweet trigger. I have had several Sigs in different calibers and probably each of the Glocks at one time or other. Each time I dispose of a great toy to aquire another I later regret it. If I could only buy one more gun for all occassions it would be a Sig after comparing, over all the years, S&W, Glock, Sig, Colt and now the Para. Something will tweak my "got to have one" button and I'll sell another toy and wish I hadn't.

Buy the best you can afford, give it TLC, practice, practice, practice and it will serve you well!
    Just my .02 worth.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/5/02 3:29:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: One More
    Welcome to TFF Silver72

1badassmagnum
    (12/17/02 4:44:10 pm)
    taurus makes a nice 45 in the $400 range.
    gunfinder

Edited by: 1badassmagnum at: 12/17/02 4:46:24 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (12/17/02 7:35:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: One More
    Para-Ordnance LDA series are excellent also!

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

sig230
    (12/18/02 4:54:51 pm)
    45acp is too fine a caliber to waste in a semi-automatic.

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/18/02 5:42:36 pm)
    SIG230 that antique is beautiful but you can't beat the mod.625 Mountain gun for shooting fun in a revolver..Unless
    you are a single action fan and then the ultimate is a Ruger convertible 4 3/4 with the Bisley grip..

Silver72
    (12/19/02 1:37:33 pm)
    I'll agree with Tac401. My LDA 7.45 is accurate and reliable. The Meg Gar 8 rd. mag works great.

brutay
    (12/25/02 2:08:50 pm)
    Or you could take a look at the Beretta 8045 Cougar. Hovers around the ~$500 range.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/25/02 9:26:26 pm)
    man, that CZ 97 B is a niiiice gun. i wish i'd have shot a .45 acp before i bought the cz75bd (in 9mm). CZ's are stupidly simple pistols. very very easy to take apart and reassemble. so easy that it's a pleasure to do after firing.

the one in this house has under 500 rounds in it, but hasn't misfired, jammed, or behaved in any untoward manner. it gets cleaned before being put away after firing.

lookin for a .45 on the cheap and don't have to have a 1911? get this.

chris in sandy eggo

coolatula
    (12/28/02 11:28:25 pm)
    DA .45
    1. Under $400.00 Ruger P97
    2. Under $500.00 CZ 97B(under $500.00,but just as good as those in the higher price range. Alot of owners say they are better!)
    3. Over $500.00 your choice Beretta,Sig,HK all nice,depends on the one you like the best.

This is a very nice Board!

docreg
    (1/11/03 2:30:17 am)
    If money is no object, you have to go with the SIG P220!

The absolute sweetest shooting .45ACP available. Not made in USA, obviously, but DA or SA, with decocking lever, and I did mention that it is sweeeeet.

Doc Reg

EvilAudio
    (1/13/03 1:17:54 am)
    Now the SW99 comes in a .45ACP version. They look to cost around $460 at the local retailers. That may be an option to check out.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." George Brett