Which do you prefer - Tru-Oil or Tung-Oil ?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wpshooter, Jan 25, 2012.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

If you have experience in using both Tru-Oil AND Tung-Oil in finishing "GUNSTOCKS" (not interested in applications other than gunstocks), I would like to know which of the 2 you prefer and why.

Am not interested in products other than Tru-Oil and Tung-Oil.

Thanks.
  2. michaelcj

michaelcj New Member

Have used both and prefer neither... I started using Dem-Bart Stock and Checkering Oil several years ago [decades] and have stuck with it. It is thinner than the Tru-oil which works well for me during the wet-sanding [w/oil] steps during pore filling. I also prefer the "thinness" when it comes to hand rubbing subsequent coats.

Tru-oil would be my choice for "quick and dirty" and ends up with a very decent finish.

Remember..it's all about the preparation.

Mike J
  3. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

In that case, no comment.
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Tru-oil may be easier to use and it does build up a nice coat but I am a Tung oil or linseed oil man. I just like the look better even if it does take longer for me to work it in.
  5. doubleslover

doubleslover New Member

I have tried both and prefer tung oil. I also like the look better, it is traditional, and personally I like the way it applies better than Tru Oil. Just my opinion.
  6. mranum

mranum Member

I'm a Tru Oil convert myself. Everybody likes what they like.
  7. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Doubleslover:

Is there any difference in quality, etc. of different brands of tung oil ?

Is the Formby brand any better/worse than others ?

Thanks.