Which gun for carry?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by bdumont45, Mar 6, 2010.

1. bdumont45

bdumont45 New Member

Going to get a small gun to carry soon. My Ruger P90 .45 is too bulky. I have narrowed it down to these:

Springfield XD subcompact 3" .40 S&W
    Sig P250 subcompact .45
    Glock 30 or 36 .45

looking for feedback, especially those who have experience with these particular guns. thanks
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I like the XD.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I also second the XD. I have a compact 4" in .45acp. its light, accurate, utterly relaible and holds a crapload of bullets. AND the best part is its the least expensive of the 3 you listed AND come with ALL of the accessories you need to carry;)
  4. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I too, am an XD guy!

However, I really can't slight the Sig; or the Glock.

My personal preference would be:
    #1 choice=XD; (I really like the passive safety features, dependability & accuracy of XD)
    #2 would be the Sig; (Sig has had a few issues; but they are noted for dependability & accuracy. Price and function keep it at #2 for me.)
    and finally for
    #3, the Glock would be my last choice "solely" because I don't like the way a Glock feels in my hand.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have said b-4 and ill say it again,buy only what feels good in your hand.if it feels good it normally will shoot good.now i do not own any but the glock 27 and the taurus pt 140 pro the forty cal in a compact recoils pretty hard but weight wise they are lighter to carry than the 45 acp or 45 gap.the compact 45 acp is a hard recoiling gun,and i shoot 44 mag all day.its your choice old semperfi
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Hold them all and if possible shoot them all and see which feels the best (most natural) to you. If I had those choices it would probably be the Sig just because I like the 45 acp even though my nightstand gun is Ruger P94 in 40 S&W. My real 1st choice would be a compact XD in 45 acp but it isn't listed. What do I know I carry a revolver?
  7. bdumont45

bdumont45 New Member

I agree with you Terry_P. My first choice would also be and xd in .45 but they don't make a subcompact. I hope to go and touch some on saturday, but unfortunately, there isn't any place near me that has an option of trying out guns before you buy.
  8. Over The Hill

Over The Hill New Member

I just bought an XD 9MM Subcompact. It feels great, smooth and accurate. I think it makes a good carry weapon, but a little on the "fat" side for concealed carry.
  9. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

did I mention the xd pistol;)
  11. Dougspop

Dougspop New Member

I carry a XD SC 9mm in a crossbreed super tuck and it seems about just right for me!

A great little shooter too.
  12. bdumont45

bdumont45 New Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I ordered the xd today. I'll let you know what I think of it when it comes, hopefully in the next couple weeks!
  13. Wemart

Wemart New Member

A little late for the party but this gun is so appropiate. A FEG PA-63 in 9.3 Makarov caliber. This thing is a Walther in disguise. A exact copy of a PPK for around $250. All the parts will interchange with a Walther.
    Since any carry piece will get worn looking spending, $550 + on a "real" one seemed foolish.

The Bullets are avalaible but as a Re- loader I bought a mold from Lee and alter 9X19 Luger cases to 9X18
    These rounds feed fine and I have no problem.

In DA the trigger pull is enormus! New springs on the way for that.

I especially like the Hammer block safety, this make carring with one in the pipe safe

It has an Alloy frame ,which makes it a few oz lighter.

Wemart