Which gun is best

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rik, Aug 12, 2003.

1. rik

rik New Member

ok I know that everyone of you probably have a different oppinion, and nows the chance to voice it.

What gun should I get.

Here are the guidlines

1 leaning towards .45 acp, or 9mm
    2 semi auto
    3 want to shoot mass quantitys of cheap amo
    4 acurate
    5 jam free
    6 around 600$
    7 Would like to shoot falling plate with stock gun

rik

If I forgot anything let me know
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2003
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

1911, 45acp, springfield or kimber.
  3. cd45

cd45 New Member

I agree with inplanotx, I own a Springfield, and have always had a 1911 of some type.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

5. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

1911 45 cal.
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

1911, .45acp.
  7. warpig

warpig Guest

1911 45ACP
  8. merc

merc New Member

guys didn't get into the reasons or whys
    they just went to the solution (good solution-right bottom line--but show how you get there)

1 leaning towards .45 acp, or 9mm
    Probably the 2 most common and best choices for targets and self defense

2 semi auto
    revolvers are very nice handguns and this is a personal preference catagory. Semis are usually thinner and can be concealed a little easier. Plus most hold 8 to 15 and allow more fun at the range

3 want to shoot mass quantitys of cheap amo
    The cheaper ammo is the 9mm. You can get this stuff by the to s and shoot all day for peanuts.
    If you reload you can make 45's and shoot all day too

4 acurate
    They are all acurate. At least I find that they are all more acurate than I can shoot. If the gun can't hit the paper it is time for a new gun or to stop shooting (I vote new gun)

5 jam free
    Problems here---the 9 will afford you less problems with jamming in my experiences. The 45 are a little picky when it comes to ammo. My 9mm will shoot everything and any kind of bullet I buy without jamming. My 45's shoot jam free only when using round FMJ, certain hollow points and my own reloads.
    They will not shoot lead reloads or frangibles

6 around 600$
    You can get a decent 1911 style 45 for UNDER 600 and a 9mm around 500

7 Would like to shoot falling plate with stock gun
    I don't know what your talking about here but either caliber should shoot just fine

MY vote--the 1911 .45 for the versatility and power--just as easy to conceal--and I love the BIG boom it makes

What ever you decide it is a personal thing and I don't think myou will be disappointed with either.
    Good Luck
  9. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

comparing 9's to 45's is comparing apples to oranges.

as far as function and reliabilty , you can solve most problems with a change of ammo and/or magazine.
  10. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Merc,
    Since the weapon is to be used for shooting falling plates, the .45 acp has more power and bullet weight. The plates must fall to be scored. The 9mm round is ok for punching paper but for steel plates or bowling pins the .45 is the way to go. :)
  11. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Rik, if you want to shoot falling plate, then 9mm is pretty much out of it.

As shooter says, for plates and pins you need a large and heavy bullet......and in a semi-auto pistol, in your price range, that's pretty much .45acp. (Another advantage of .45acp is that cheap, standard military surplus GI ball ammo works great on plates & pins.....no hopped-up handloads necessary)

In that caliber, most of us here prefer the M1911......but that's merely our personal preferences.

There are a lot of nice .45 autos out there. You should get the one that's best for you.

Handle as many as you can. Shoot as many as you can (many gun ranges will rent you a gun). Don't worry about price. When you find the one that shoots best for you......if it's more than what you want to spend, start looking for a good used one.

Good luck......and we're always here if you have more questions or advice.
  12. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

have you guys looked at the Ultra Ten II?
    that seems really neat a sub compact thats 10+1
  13. wsmc667

wsmc667 New Member

i'm gonna make these 1911 lovers hate me... cz 97b is an option, too. i've got their 9mm 75bd model now. super easy to take down, hardly any moving parts. simple gun. i rented a kimber .45 and now i'm thinking that the .45 is more fun to shoot with it's lighter recoil. so i may end up with the 97 and selling the 75bd.

link to CZ 97B review

if i were more serious about firearms and wanted to build up a killer .45, i'd do the research and likely assemble my own 1911 variant. but i've got a couple other "hobbies" taking up a lot of my time now as it is...

:) chris insane diego
  14. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Geez, Chris, you sound just like me!

Back in February, I bought a CZ75bd. Started taking it to the range to practice. Decided I wanted to try a .45, so rented a Kimber at the range. Liked it so much, I now want to get a 1911. the CZ97b is a nice gun, but it's not a 1911.
  15. GUNRUNNER

GUNRUNNER New Member

Kimber Ultra Carry II Stainless. Hard Hitting, Accurate, Dependable, Very Concealable.
    Proven Caliber. ,45 ACP :rolleyes: :rolleyes: