Which gun is best

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rik, Aug 12, 2003.

1. wsmc667

wsmc667 New Member

hehehe, yeah, not a 1911 in many ways. but still throws that same nearly 1/2" bullet downrange with more than acceptable accuracy?? hehehe. i don't see devoting the time to competition anytime in the near future, so once we get the missus to shoot a kimber, i may start down that path. :)
  2. antediluvianist

antediluvianist New Member

" i've got their 9mm 75bd model now. super easy to take down, hardly any moving parts. simple gun. i rented a kimber .45 and now i'm thinking that the .45 is more fun to shoot with it's lighter recoil. "

You seem to be saying that a Kimber .45 kicks less than the CZ 75bd 9mm. That's really how you perceive the recoil?

I shoot a full-size .45 1911 and a Tanfoglio Combat 9mm. (similar to a CZ75bd) . Sure does seem like the 1911 .45 kicks more.
  3. frosty

frosty New Member

1911-A1 in .45 FULL SIZE ,I have a Springfield in stainless. I am sure the Kimber is just as good.

I would have to agree 9mm is cheap but I reload for the .45 and I love it. Big Bullet, Big Boom and a Proven man stopper.
    I got rid of my Glock 21 in .45 and saw the light of the 1911,..... never looking back.

1911 all the way.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Try an H&K in 45.
    Who knows, you may like it.
  5. denfoote

denfoote New Member

Falling plate .45

If you want to shoot falling plate why not get a Ruger P97 for about $400!! I paid $411 for mine with tax. Since the gun is only a couple of months old, I have not had a chance to fire a whole lot of rounds through it, but it handles hollow point and ball with equal ease, is accurate and you will have $200 to buy ammo with!! :D

As for self defense, I carry mine in a Bianchi 7L pancake holster covered with a loose t-shirt or if you live in a colder clime than the vast Sonoran desert, a light jacket will do nicely!! Ruger is also offering $40 rebates!! :)

Why spend a whole lot of money if you don't have to!! Of course, if you want the "I own a Kimber" or "Make mine a springfield" rush, then go for it!! It's your money!! ;)

But, if you want something that won't break your piggy bank that will do the job, then Ruger is the way to go!! :cool:
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2003
  6. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

I would have to agree with XRACER on this one, handle as many as you can and get what is right for you.
    Denfoote has a point about Rugers they are cheaper but every single guy I have known who has bought a Ruger auto loader has sold it in a short period of time. I am a Ruger guy myself (rifles and revolvers) but after handling their autoloaders I decided that I would never own one.
    Just get what works/fits you. As for the caliber .45 is the only way to go.
  7. wsmc667

wsmc667 New Member

that's how it felt. the kimber rolled back while the cz75 had a sharp jolt. with the 9, i felt like i had to really clamp onto the gun to keep it in my hand, while i just had to hold the kimber with only a little more force than enough to keep it on target.

that's why i plan on draggin the missus down there with the 75 and having both on the bench ready to go for back to back testing.

:) chris
  8. antediluvianist

antediluvianist New Member

oh, the 9mm "snap" versus the .45 "roll"

Ah, Chris, yes, I understand. Indeed the 9mm. "snaps" whereas the .45 "rolls".

As far as I understand it, the recoil of a .45 is greater (a .45 slug has roughly twice the mass of a 9mm. slug). The .45's momentum (mass X velocity) backward is greater (even given the 9mm's greater velocity, which is NOT twice that of a .45) , but it is spread out over a longer period of time.

So the 9mm "snaps" more abruptly - less force overall but in a somewhat shorter period of time.

Well, that explanation may or may not be accurate, in a physics sense, but yes I agree with you that the 9mm "snaps" and the .45 tends to "roll".

That's why I fire 9mm. in full-size, heavyish guns. Light 9mm. pistols really jump.

Good luck.
  9. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

9mm will be the best for ammo price. Look at the beretta 92fs, they are hard to beat. I am a .45 fan, but I love my buddies beretta. Cheaper ammo than my .45, just as accurate, and it will outlast you and me both. If you havent tried a glock, do so. I hate them, but you may fall in love. Let us know what you get
  10. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Do as I, Get one of each!!

We have a Browning Hi-Power 9mm

AND

a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 in .45.