which gun to buy

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by old semperfi, Sep 25, 2010.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i think at times we go overboard on telling new shooters which gun to buy.i have read where taurus were (junk)or (hi point)are garbage etc.there are people out there that have these guns and would not be able to afford any others.they are proud to be in the shooting community,i think we disrespect these people in giving such a hard opinion on what they shoot.i am 59 years old and as of this date i have probably purchased at least 5-600 guns over the years of different types and manufactures.i currently only have 115 in my collection.i can tell you at one time or another i have had some type of problem with every maker.folks,try and remember that we all cant afford a colt match target or a 1911 colt 45 acp. i myself am proud that the guy shooting next to me is shooting and not on the other side of the fence......................BE NICE..............old semperfi
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Very well said! I do not knock other peoples guns and I do not put down any manufactures of guns. There are bad examples for every gun manufacturer out there. I can afford better than a Raven or Rennings so I don't have any. If they were the only guns I could afford I would probably buy one if I was in need of one.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i sometimes tend to forget that old semperfi, i've been known to bash some brands, but you're absolutely right. thanks for the reminder
  4. Jay

Jay New Member

I agree, but with a bit of a difference. If you don't like a particular gun, that's your opinion, and you have every right to it. My concern is that lots of folks will say " you need to get one of these", or a "revolver is the only way to go for you"..... or you need this pistol. There is no way any of us can say any particular gun is "best" for anyone else. We have all developed our preferences by handling and shooting different firearms, and thus have time and effort invested in finding out what we prefer..... don't suggest anything different for a new shooter. The new shooters should also handle and shoot as many firearms as they can BEFORE they spend lots of money on someone else's opinion, that very well could end up being a costly mistake.
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Good point old semperfi!
    I dont knock anything anyone shoots. If I know of an "issue" with a particular firearm,
    I'll sure pass it along to help that person by not making a mistake by buying a "bad, per say, pistol". I'm sort of in that "boat" right now. I'm wanting a brand name pistol, but the $'s is an issue for me at the moment. However....If I'm going to buy what I'm wanting and been waiting to be able to afford on this particular pistol, I'll wait it out til I can afford what I want, rather then settling for something I'd rather not have.
    I never put another guy's gun of choice down, ever. Look in my gun safe's, there isnt all "name brand" firearms in there, that's for sure, but very proud of what I do have for the fact it took my years to get what I have.
  6. Juker

Juker New Member

It's a beautiful point and right on the money. My wife is petite with smaller hands, and can't handle larger caliber pistols.

Sort of like asking the waiter, "What's good here?" when you have no idea what that guy eats for breakfast.
  7. old 33

old 33 New Member

Thank You ...that needed to be said...I have a small collection and its not all ''name brand'' arms. It's what could I afford to buy for the purpose intended. I bought a Rossi 2'' .357 for $329 new in box and am real happy with it as it serves its purpose. It has been fired maybe 200 rounds and is still good looking. The quality is less than expected but for the purpose it serves it is fine with me....of course the Colt Python my sister has is what I would prefer, but I dont have $800+ to shell out for one.

BUT the Jennings J-22 I was given is crap...but I was told if I have patience and put anothe 300 rounds thru it, it ''might'' quit jamming and even out...LOL
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Can't continue to jam after it falls apart, huh? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  9. Juker

Juker New Member

I'm glad you've been fortunate with that Rossi. I bought a 5-shot Rossi .38 brand new at a gun show, must have been 1993. The cylinder wasn't properly aligned and the first time I took it the range it, well, let's just say it wouldn't fire properly. Good news is, tha guy in the gun shop loved Rossis and wanted to fix it, so I sold it for nearly twice what I paid for it.

So getting back to our story, if you asked me, I wouldn't recommend Rossi, but plenty of people would. LOL
  10. berto64

berto64 Active Member

It is my firm belief that I should buy any and all guns of good value that I can afford!
  11. Zane71464

maybe we know the same person! A guy "gave me one to try to fix the jamming...I told him it could not be fixed! Period! So now it's wasting space in my junk drawer that need cleaned out again...:D
  12. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i would not recommend taurus or rossi. the reason is not so much the quality, but the quality of service should you have problems and the availability of parts on the second hand market.

a smith, while 50% more is worth it in the long run.

i dont recommend keltec. partly because i had a bad experience with one of their pistols, partly because their is inherent flaws in the way their sub rifle is designed.

i also dont recommend marlin 60's as the comb is too high for the iron sights (and a new shooter should learn iron sights)

not to say that any of these might not serve someone well for many years. (the marlin 60 is a good gun with a reworked stock) but to say that i have had poor experiences with some and am leery of poor experiences with others due to bad feedback.

i would buy a rossi or taurus revolver for say.. 150. but... for the 250-300 a taurus sells for new... i'd go ahead and pay the extra 50 or less for a smith and wesson. i've seen new smith 642's and 637's (i believe it was the 637.) sell for 325.o0
  13. beenponting

beenponting New Member

Think about ammo prices. sks 7.62x39 semi auto. ammo is still cheap, but you can waste alot. nagant 7.62x54 bolt action. ammo is cheap, gun is very accurate very little waste. both are fun to shoot.
  14. Zane71464

Good point of the OT and well said. I'm still working on getting a 1911 but I'm not going to "settle" on what I'll end up later wishing I could or would have got. Saving for now and in time, I'll have exactly what I want and will have it for life.
  15. Jay

Jay New Member

I own one Taurus, a .22 revolver I use in teaching classes. I lost a screw out of the rear sight, called Taurus, and they sent me a whole new rear sight. I received the sight within 48 hours of my call. I can't fault that kind of service, but it's the only time I've ever dealt with Taurus.