Which gun?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Gun Geezer, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Which would you buy and why? The SP101-.357 mag. or The LCR-.357 mag.
    Keep in mind this would be for EDC, not for a range gun, an occasional shooter to keep in practice and for when TSHTF.
  2. Warith

Warith Member

SP101 with outa doubt.

Reason its a simple revolver not a lot can go wrong where as the LCR is actualy an automatic with a revolving magazine lots to go wrong there. So if your looking for an EDC weapon then it has to be the SP101 imho.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

:confused::confused::confused:
    Its a DA revolver, nothing automatic about it. ;)

The 101 is way heavier but way more controllable and for something that may ride around in a glovebox, its a better way to go.
  4. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Depends upon your use for it.

Example: A small female would be better off with a .380 w/hollow points; easier to conceal carry or carry in a fanny pack/purse.. more rounds than a derringer and smaller than a 9mm.
  5. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

Ruger is touting the new cam action trigger on the LCR as something wonderful. I'm just thinking the LCR weighs almost 10 oz. less than the SP101, something to consider for EDC. The recoil from my S&W 342 Ti. and Kel-Tec P3AT doesn't bother me so I don't thing it would be a deal breaker, but I sure like the looks of the SP101 better than the LCR. I need some convincing reasons to buy one over the other.
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

For concealed carry, the lcr is the way to go mainly because of weight. I would prefer the 101, but as mentioned they are heavier. I am not sure what the automatic with a revolving magazine meant since they are both revolvers. Maybe warith can explain this to us.
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

The camming trigger is better than before but not absolutely stellar. Want some encouragement? Shoot 20 rounds of 357 though a LCR then shoot 20 rounds of 357 though a 101. The 101 your ready to shoot more. The LCR you may want a break. I've shot both. Both are good guns but the LCR with 357 bit hard, the 101 was way more controllable. If the SHTF you aint gonna care about weight, your gonna want rugged. EDC really depends on were you plan on carrying it too. IWB with a 101 is manageable but noticeable.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  8. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have one of the "older" LCRs in 38 Special, I thought the trigger was really good on that one, especially for something that is single action. I like the LCR and if this were a voting thread, I would vote for it.
  10. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

For the stated purpose it would be the LCR. A heavier gun is not as hard on you at the range but for CC purposes the LCR would win. At least in my opinion anyway. Buy both and then you won't have the conflict.
  11. noslolo

noslolo New Member

For everyday carry I would have to go with the LCR. Thats what it was built for. I like the SP101, but it is a heavy hunk of metal to carry around.
  12. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

I had an SP101 and it was an excellent, robust, comfortable, and handsome revolver. And then I sold it. The reason? I bought a Smith 37 and after carrying it ONCE, I realized the 101 would never leave the nitestand or the glovebox again. TOOO DAMNED HEAVY for its size. I would choose the LCR hands down. Now, THATS JUST ME.........but the difference is unbelievable, if you are actually gonna CARRY.
  13. doug66

doug66 New Member

SP101 to ride in the truck and the LCR to ride in the pocket.
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    IMHO, the LCR cost more, but is lighter. The 101 cost less, but not that much, and is heavier. I haven't shot the LCR, but I do own an SP101. I used to shoot a lot of 38's in it, but stopped when I found out that I built up a ridge in the cylinder, and would no longer take the .357 round untill I cleaned it really good. I don't shoot it anymore because of recoil with full load .357's, it is just brutal! I own, and shoot a .44Mag with a 5" barrel, and love it, so I know a little about recoil, and the little 101 has more than I care for! Two things come to my mind on this topic. One is that the .357 is notorious for over penitration. You might shoot a BG, and still hit an inocent bystander. Not good! The second is that it is critical to be able to place your shoots where you want them, and it is my experience with the 101 that this is almost imposible for me. I also own, shoot, and love my .44spcl. Bull Dog. I can handel the recoil from it, and the 44Mag, but not the 101! And because of this I can't hit squat with my .357! Carry a gun that you like, a gun that will get the job done, and make sure you can hit with it, both on the range, and (God forbid) in a real engagement. Ease of carry does come into play, but only because if the gun isn't comfortable enough you won't have it on you if he need arises. Power, size of bullet, recoil, loudness, none of this matters if you can't hit what you shoot at!
  15. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

It depends on if you are planning on shooting much 357 mag out of them. If so I would suggest getting the SP101. If you are going to run primarily 38 spl the LCR is a fine choice. I don't think shooting the LCR with 357 is much fun. The SP101 is a lot easier to handle with full power rounds.

Both are great but my choice would be a SP101. I prefer the looks of a steel revolver also.