Which gun?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Gun Geezer, Mar 2, 2011.

1. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

LCR for CC, lighter weight
  2. Old John

Old John New Member

I've been carrying my Ruger SP101, for close to 8 years, for EDC, whenever I'm awake.
    Last Summer, bought an LCR, in .38 special, for a pocket pistol, before the .357 mag. LCR was on the market. The .357 LCR will be my next purchase, one of these days.
    I still carry the SP101 every day, all day, unless I'm dressing up, and need the LCR for a pocket pistol. Each of my Rugers has a different purpose.
    I live Rural, on 13 acres, out in the woods. I can go out to the target stand & shoot whenever the weather suits me.
    I mostly load the SP101 with .357 mag., 110gr. HJLHP's. It's a nice shooter. I do not have any doubts about taking care of business, or being undergunned with either revolver.
    This is just my experience. Whatever works for you.
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I got the SP-101 and the LCR .38. I like them both but the SP is way too heavy and kinda too big to conceal well in Florida. The LCR is perfect for me to carry. Now I want the LCR .357 but havnt found any around here.
  4. dragman

dragman New Member

LCR!! hands down an awesome pistol! I love the 101 but the LCR does just as much and is more versitile IMHO.
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I would get the LCR in .38, it is comfortable to shoot in a small pistol,
    and I would go all out and get the LG model. [For a CCW between the guns stated above.]
    LCR-LG .38 Special Crimson TraceĀ® LasergripsĀ® Replaceable front sight, Pinned Ramp 1.31" 13.00 oz.
    .357 is pretty hard on you [LCR] if you are gonna shoot it very much, and the LG is nice.
    Personally, if I was going to carry a .357 revolver, I would get a Blackhawk, and then in a .45 and get the convertible. I realize this is way out of proportion for CCW from the two you mentioned, but if you are going to shoot a lot, you will be happier.
    That's why I suggest a .38 LCR-LG.
    I am a BIG fan of .357, hunted deer for years with a stainless Blackhawk, and LOVE shooting .357 in rifles.
    There is plenty of 'self protection' ammo for the .38 and you will shoot it more, and more enjoyably, than
    the .357 in a short barrel.
    But, all that said, there is plenty of choices still, here in America.
    In my opinion, a pistol for CCW and a pistol I will fire a lot at the range are completely different gun choices.
    I hope this makes sense.
    [and I did NOT keep in mind it was for EDC---after my rant-sorry]
    I would still go LCR-LG .38
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  6. jimjc

jimjc Former Guest

my $.02....I shot the Lcr and it sucks to shoot period.....That`s not to say it isn`t good for what it it is......but I believe it`s the beginnings of a throw-away future gun that you can`t use to shoot but for a few rounds.... it`s just for selfdefence....Plus it`s to much money for what it is..

If you want a gun to LAST AND TO SHOOT and be able to hit something at something farther than 10 feet get the SP101....A really good all around gun you can own for years and it will still be worth something in the end....Jim
  7. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member