Which is a better deal?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by PLINKER45, Jul 28, 2010.

1. PLINKER45

PLINKER45 Member

I have the oppretunity to purchase one of two handguns from a relative of mine. My question is which one do you think is worth more in terms of possible later resale, and which one is a better gun in general. I have my guns for plinking and for carry, so that is not important.

The two guns are a new Ruger p95 9mm and a Taurus pt111 9mm compact. Both guns are blued and both have had less than 15 rounds fired in them.

Thanks for the opinion.
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

both were considered a good value for the money when new. but i'd always take a ruger over a taurus and as for a better deal when you wish to get rid of them ? hard to say it depends on condition at the time of the sale/trade. but i'd still give the edge to a ruger
  3. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

you cant get the 2 on pay as you go plan
  4. Jay

Jay Active Member

If you're gonna buy only to resell, buy the Ruger. If you're gonna buy to shoot and then maybe resell, then buy the one that feels better in your hands. You'll usually shoot better with the one that your hands like best.
  5. PLINKER45

PLINKER45 Member

As far as condition goes, both pistols are as new. i thought the Ruger might be easier to sell in the future.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Resale percentages would be about the same but you have a better chance of the ruger not giving you problems in the future with a round count that low. Problems with Taurus usually arise within the first 300 rounds. That one has not been put through its paces yet. Both are good guns but the PT111 I have seen with head space and barrel to slide fitting problems relatively early. If you have a Taurus that is a good shooter, it always will be but some rounds need to be put down range to determine that.
  7. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have a P94 in 40 S&W that was first year Mfg and have owned it for a little over 15 years and it has never missed a beat. Most of the P95 owners I know say they get the same reliability with the 9MM. The P series rugers are a little big and blocky but never fail, are easy to maintain and mine is as accurate as I am. Pretty easy to see which way I lean.
  8. PLINKER45

PLINKER45 Member

Thanks for the advice from everyone. I actually ended up getting a better deal from the same guy. I bought an as new m44 44 mag. SS revolver with a 6 1/2 barrel. I have way less than $300 in it so I thought it was a good deal.
  9. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Terry i also had the p94 40 cal 2 tone special edition, Like you said never missed a beat! That is one of the only guns I wished I had never sold. When I tell people I had a p94 40 cal. they say the p94 wasn't 40 cal. I'm glad someone backed that up for me.

Like said above both are good guns if they work see which feels better to you I have shot high dollar guns and low cost guns some of the lower cost guns actually feel better to me. It's all in what you're looking for.