which is a deadlier round?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by board917, Jan 20, 2008.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You sneeked into my end of the woods and didnt even stop to shoot a few rounds at the range??
  2. RJay

RJay Active Member

Which is the deadlier round? Don't know, one way to find out, have two of your friends ( same height, same weight ) stand 50 yardss away, Shoot both of them in the heart at the same instance, Which ever one hits the ground first, well, that must be the deadliest round.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  3. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

did a little testing myself just yesterday 5.56 / 7.62 vs. a box of moldy canteloupe at 100 yds both left some pretty sweet exit wounds the M&P more accurate than the sks but I have to say the 7.62 seemed to hollow em out quite a bit more
  4. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Wow zombies live on this board! :) This thread started 4 1/2 years ago! I guess some questions just never have an answer that satisfies. ;)

But hey I can play zombie games too. The OP never answered the key question which is "deadly for what"? If you want to shoot coyotes at 500 yards definitely get a .223. If you want to shoot people at inside of 50 yards either will do but one platform is clearly cheaper and (here it comes flamers ;) ) more reliable. And yes it's the 7.62 x 39 that's more reliable IMO but that may not be true at all with a 7.62 x 39 AR. People who probably know are saying they don't work very well.

I've seen lots and lots of AR's get finicky at the range. A well maintained SKS or AK (as in you've cleaned it more than once since you owned it) will almost always function. My ancient SKS has worked incredibly reliably over the years. I've had it 20 years and up until about 6 weeks ago I had never had a problem with anything except bad ammo and even that was very, very rare. Now I've got ammo that has popped the primers on me several times ruining a perfectly good firing pin and who knows what else. I put another firing pin in it and it works great again with my old faithful ammo. I plan on having a Murray fix done to the bolt to prevent future problems but I haven't done so yet. Still in 20 years I bet I haven't had more than 25 rounds give me a problem and I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds through that rifle.

I could buy an AR for home defense if I wanted but so far I haven't. I do have a .223 varmint gun that works great IMO. It is very, very accurate especially compared to the SKS. But my SKS isn't all that bad when it comes to accuracy. I can shoot maybe 2-3 MOA at 100 yards with Russian bulk ammo. That's plenty good enough for HD unless you find yourself dropped off in the middle of Afghanistan. I don't think there's a direction I can even shoot 100 yards from my house without hitting a tree or a hill.

So, as always, the answer to the OP's question is... "it depends". I sorta doubt he's going to read that in time to make up his mind which AR to build. :D
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

yep.. classic zombie thread. comes back when you least expect it.
  6. soundguy

yep.. i took my sks, my wasr10 and some other weird thing I got at a gun show cheap.. it's some sort of um gas operated gun.. but takes a mag unlike an ak mag. it has a notch on it.. mags i got are aluminum skinned. wanna say it was vz something.. anyway.. all 3 in 7.62x39 did some shooting on plain typing pper targets one day. i figured that anything on an 8.5x11 square would be a body shot and 'acceptable' in case of EOC or doomsday/ invasion fighting.. etc...

all guns hit paper at 100 yds.. the sks was the best. the vz thing patterned all over.. but then it has a wire stock and is not a comfortable gun.. it was cheap and stamped out.. looks 'cheaper' than the wasr10 if you can imagine that. i think i paid? 180$ for it.. so I ain't complaining. it's a bullet hose and for short range tactical work.. i'd rather have it than pistol due to stopping power. wasr with wood stock was not much worse than the sks.. sks was doing 1.5 - 2" groups.. and wasr opend to 2.5 and an odd 3" the other one was /on paper.. :)
  7. FlashBang

FlashBang Member

My WASR holds its own against my AR's, as for which is a deadlier round... the round that hits you is the deadlier round. The misses are less deadly. lol
  8. RJay

RJay Active Member

good grief, I didn't even look at the date of the original post, and I wasted a sarcastic reply for nothing:eek:
  9. soundguy

my only ar type gun, if you can call it that. is a keltec SU16 not a great example of a tactical rifle.. but makes a good carbine with under folding butstock that you can still have an ar style banana mag thru.. it does have a weird fold out bipod that is actually the foregrip that splits and folds to a somewhat flimsy but stable bipod.

again.. a real ar tactical guy would probably laugh at it.. but I like keltec and gave it a try.. i have a p32 and p3at as well.. love em all.

and the su16 ain't inacurate.. is light weight.. easy to break down.. and prints good as any other cheper rifle on paper if the guy pulling the trigger is doing his part.

in reality.. any gun can be shot to hit a target accurately as long as it groups consistently, since you can adjust for it..

soundguy
  10. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I don't see why. It looks capable enough to me. From what I've read the only real problem is access to the chamber for cleaning and clearing jams etc.. I guarantee I've seen much worse. There's some real junk out there floating around. I'm talking stuff I would be afraid to even shoot and it's always cheap assault type rifles that come that way. Keltec is a brand with some integrity unlike some of the no name stuff I've seen around. Start with the SA80 and go down. I don't even remember the names of most of the junk rifles I've seen. I have enough trouble remembering what's good.
  11. soundguy

actually, mine is the SU16C.. I forgot to mention that.. but it's the one that has the bipod and the folding stock that doesn't break the gun action open to fold.

I like mine..and love keltec. my p3at is my constant friend. it's my regualr carry gun. used to carry a sig p230.. but only do so in the winter now due to size.

i've used all sorts of generic and milsurp ar type mage in her.. though have not tried a snal mag as i am unsure if there is enough clearance.. and don't want to pay 120$ to test it.. :) with pic rails on her and a holo site and a flashlight and a ar mag on her with a double mag clamp so you can snatch out flip over and reload.. she looks pretty nice.

as accurate as you can expect from a rifle of that length too. very fun to shoot.. very light.. no fatigue carrying her.. especially if you use a 4pt sling..

the best part is ( for me anyway.. ) she will digest .223 or 5.56