The Firearms Forum banner

which is better .17 hmr or .17 mach 2

which is better .17 hmr or .17 mach 2

45K views 51 replies 37 participants last post by  Ledslnger 
#1 · (Edited)
:D well which is better .17 hmr or .17 mach 2. i need to know because i want to buy a new gun.

#3 ·
if you targtet shoot every weekend like I do ,and am totally obsessed with what a 17 can do downrange, then the mach 2. If you wanna zero at 100 yards, and be able to hit a pdog with a dead on hold out to 150 yards, or if you wanna just absolutely blow small game up, then the 17hmr.
Also with the mach2 , you can shoot 17 aggies or pmc through them.
If you think you may come across coyote while hunting, then the 17hmr.
if you are not going to target shoot with it past 150 yards, then the m2.
you wanna try for 200 yard targets on a calm day? the hmr.

#8 ·
I have gone with the 17HMR and I am happy with it for small wild animals:) as for target shooting I stick with the 22 long rifle because of the cost. ;)
But lots of folks claim I am different :D :rolleyes: :D
Ron

#10 · (Edited)
358, you are different, absolutely special (Ed)!
I'm toying with the mach II, in a single shot, and, having a bunch of time in little CF .17's, know the drill. Barrels are the issue, and few barrel makers will tool for the caliber, more the pity, because a good one is a worshipful thing; I have pestered Bartlein barrels for a couple of tubes, in the caliber, for a couple of years; everything they do is computer managed, and cut rifled, which IMHO is the way things oughta be!
To the point of the thread, I think the HMR is over rated, and the Mach II is caught in the shadow.
At the point in time where Remington 'legitimised' the caliber, with the .17 Rem , I had several .17 Acklley Hornets, and Bee's, making meat daily, with lots less powder, and noise.
I think their effort was too much, then and now, as barrels are not cheap, and hold the same stance, with the newer rimfire rounds: all things, in moderation.

#11 ·
I went with the Mach 2 just for the cost of the ammo. You should be able to buy 50 rounds for 4 bucks on sale-have stocked up with a few thousand rounds at that price.

Just a flat out fun gun at ranges up to 125 yards- spot on with .75" groups at 100 yards with a cheapie Savage and an Accu-Trigger-scoped.

Pigeons, crows and small vermin in the cone of death at 125 yards don't have a prayer.:) .

Looked at the HMR but the ammo cost scared me away and besides I have a couple of 22 CF's to reach out and touch at longer ranges and larger game.

Gary

#12 ·
Gary, welcome to TFF!
Lad, I like the way you think! You mirror my thoughts, in many ways; never had a .22 Magnum, because .22 LR ammo was more accurate, even out beyond 100, if the rifle was 'right' and there are far more rifles, in the smaller case, that are!
Ditto, my feelings on the .17 cal rimfires; Start with an accurate platform, rebarrel, we're done!
Now, if I absolutely needed more power, and equivalent, or better, accuracy, there are the (Kinda Pricy) Cooper CCM calibers, or the simple 'Ackley Improved' .22 /.17 Hornet Calibers, which will more than double the RF Magnum range and power, for the same price in ammo,if you reload, as case attrition is a 'non factor' in these calibers, except at 'Max' loads.
Waiting on a barrel, right now, for a Stevens 44 1/2, presently in .22 LR, that shoots under a dime, at 100 yds, (actually, 2 barrels, one will be chambered in the Mach II, the other in .17 Ackley Hornet, as I also have a centerfire breechblock, fitted to the action), but this a 'proven' rifle, having 'had it's way' with a lot of, according to 'conventional wisdom', far more accurate bolt guns, from Anschutz, Remington, and Winchester!
The Shilen barrel, presently in this rifle, has shot consistantly in the threes, often in the twos, off a rest, in any weather.
Now, we all know, according to 'conventional wisdom' a 'take down, single shot' rifle, cannot do these things, so if it would not, I suppose I would fall back in line, but have yet to do so, because it continues to perform.
I will allow, this was not a 'cheap' rifle, then, or now; I bought it for the action, replaced, or re-created, most every thing else, in better material, and far closer tolerance, than the original; part of the game!
But, with experience in both calibers (.22 Ackley Hornet, and .17 Ackley Hornet) you cannot compare them to any rimfire; If you are gomma 'move up', then, get what you paid for; these are among the finest on the planet!

#16 · (Edited)
It simple: Your choice should to be based on your needs. Hunting needs the 17HMR in most cases. Target shooting the 17HM2 works fine and you can do some small game hunting too.

My decision for target shooting was based on ammo costs. Like 22WMR, on which the 17 HMR is based, the 17HMR ammo is outrageously expensive compared to 22LR and 17HM2. If you need that power for hunting fine, pay the ammo cost. But if it is targets you are shooting at that don't need power to penetrate then the 17HM2, like 22LR, makes the most sense.

Beware! the 17HM2 has suffered case bulging, case head ruptures and other high pressure maladies in some guns. Semi-autos are the worst for this as the blowback design is so critical in its timing that any little thing goes wrong and the bolt opens (or fails to close) during the pressure cycle of ignition of the cartridge. This is especially problematical with the Ruger 10/22 conversions. Even Ruger has stayed away from offering a 17HM2 semi-auto, probably because of this very thing. The 10/22, when extended to 17HM2 service, is too crudely made and suffers under the pressure cycle of the 17HM2. Others manufacturers may have solved this in their semi-autos but the Ruger 10/22 conversion to 17HM2 CAN be a big problem if all is not perfect.

I've not found the 17HM2 to be any better for accuracy than a good 22LR gun that is shooting premium ammo (in the same price range as 17HM2 ammo). With limited choices of 17HM2 ammo you may or may not find the ammo the gun likes. With 22LR the choice are nearly infinite. If I had it to do over again I'd go for a better 22LR gun and forget the whole 17HM2 fad. Some day, I think the ammo will be even harder to get and maybe impossible to get since the popularity of the 17HM2 seems to be declining (a lot has to do with the 10/22 conversion problems!).

This is just my opinion and take it for what it is worth to you. Others may differ.

LDBennett

#17 ·
Go with the HMR. The mach 2 shoots like a laser but if you nick anything with the bullet they explode.
And why would that happen when the Mach II is slower than the HMR. your theroy would mean the HMR would blow up easier yet. Considering they are both shooting 17 gr like bullets. I have two HM2s and don't need a HMR My 22WMR will do most of what the HMR will do and maybe even better out to 150yds.( more down range energy) I'll grant ya over all most HMRs are more accurate than the average 22WMR but mine is a shooter.:D--JMJ--

#18 · (Edited)
LD said it well, the .22LR is a hard act to beat!
The .17 Mach 2, as mentioned, is slower than the HMR, but shares the same bullet; stuff this bullet into a small centerfire case, like the .17 'Ackley Improved' Hornet, and now, you have something!
I have killed, deader than stone, a bunch of deer, with the round; and using lesser bullets!
The Hornady bullet only makes for better results!
In the AI Hornet, we are talking about 3500+ fps velocity, and 200+ yd performance, not too shabby!
Give it a thought!
Shortly, I may have some info on an 'equivalent' alternative, to the .17 fireball, formerly the .17 Mach IV, based on the .357 Max case, for the 400 yd shooters, out here!
I've only been working on the project, for five years, so, be patient!

#19 ·
Evening guys,
I'm new to this forum, but I dont believe there's a "Fit all" answer to this question!
1st I would ask myself, what do I plan on doing the "Most" with this gun. As i love both rounds as much as shooting in general.
I've got a Magnum Research Magnumlite .17MH2, with the carbon fiber 17" barrel, and Barracuda thumb-hole stock. Its a tack driver all day long as fast as i can holder steady, and reload! The rifle spec's said, .375" groups at 50yrds, and if (0)ed at 100yrds it should be aprox,(depending as we all know on ammo) .50" high at 50yrds. However I found useing remmy ammo, that .375"- .500" 5 shot groups off a good cement bench at 100yrds is typical, and where you touch it off at 100yrds when zeroed at that range, is where it exactly is at 50yrds.
I also have a Magnumlite 17hmr (newly purchased) and the accuracy results are almost identical, (17hmr accutally pounds .050"- .120" larger groups than .17mh2).
One round is by no means "better" than the other, however, one may fit your "Root" intended purpose better than the other.
So I sugest, taking the time to think about what you're guna primaraily use this gun for and make your choice based on that.
Also, remember that bigger isnt always badier! Cause if you dont hit what or where you want, when you want, then all you got is a bigger hole in your wallet!

#20 ·
I think your spot on! Well said. In comparing 22lr to 17hm2, I pick 17hm2, hands down!
Bullet drop, accuracy, and impact damage are definetly better with the 17hm2.
But when choosen between 22wrm and 17hmr I think the old stand by 22wrm is the winner. Because of exactly what you said, down range energy!

#21 ·
Had made up my mind to give myself a 17 Mach 2 for Christmas. I went to Wally World aka China-Mart, and they could special order a savage for me. When I asked about the 17 Mach 2 ammo, they told me that Wally World would not be carrying any 17 Mach 2. The manager said that calls for 17 Mach 2 ammo has been almost non-existant.

Anyone hear that the 17 Mach 2 is being left behind the 17 HMR ?? Will the 17 mach 2 go the route of the 5MM ?? I see where the poll results show that the 17 HMR is favored by 3 to 1. Will hold up buying anything until I hear some opinions/ideas.

Thanks for your thoughts,

tonygrz

#22 ·
what do I like mcuh better? the mach 2, what is funner the m2, much cheaper, m2, what is a better hunting round? 17aguila/pmc- which can be fired through a m2. What is a more flatter, hard hitting, knock em dead round , out to even 200 yds? 17 hmr. what will drop a coyote out at 100 yds? 17hmr.

#23 ·
Ranger, well said!
I've been a rimfire 'nut' for many years, and now own several that I almost cannot feed, for the scarcity, and price, of ammo (.22 auto, 5mm rimfire), but I like the rifles.
I don't see the 17M2 'going away', anytime soon; just look at the 'fan club', it has here!

#24 ·
The HMR came first and it was great for drilling holes in paper - provided the wind wasn't blowing. Unfortunately, the bullets exploded on small game and people started to complain that they were wounding prairie dogs. About that time Hornedy came out with the M2, which has less muzzle velocity and costs less too. The M2 is a better choice for hunting tree rats and the like, but nothing larger. Personally, I'll pass on both.

#25 ·
hi guys
i am from the UK and a newbie to boot over hear we love our .17hmr and the .22lr has a big place in our cabinet .As for the mach 11 it never caught on as the caliber fitted in between the .17hmr and the .22lr ? what for i ask the .17hmr has a crack down range and the .22lr is as quite as you want bearing in mind we only shoot rabbit and fox with these guns only my opinion
rgds chim

#26 ·
The only reason the MachII is the unknown and the HMR is the BIG Boy is the marketing. all the marketing went to the /hmr ,then ignorant gun writers followed by ignoring the HM2 or misrepresenting it as a lesser needed rd. It's a super tree or grd squirrel etc rd thru 100+ yds. (out to 100 almost flat) I relined an old 340 mossberg for my first experiment with the HM2 and have since purchased a Sav BVSS and a CZ American in the HM2 . Retailers don't want to stock stuff they are afraid won't sell, and the advertizing has been 4 to 1 on the HMR .any of my friends I've shown my HM2 to have all been impressed and bought one for theirself . I wouldn't trade mine for a HMR on a good day. my 22WMRs cover anything+ that the HMR can do. the marketing of the two 17s has suffered from the Bigger /faster is better mindset. thats is not always true when all is considered. Find some guys with the HM2 and they will be happy with it.--JMJ--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.