Which is the better 22 hunting bullet Nosler or Sierra?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/19/02 10:01:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Which is the better 22 hunting bullet Nosler or Sierra?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    planning on using a 223 for part of this fall's deer season, have used the 63 gr Sierra in the past with good results but was thinking about the 60 gr Nosler partition any thoughts or suggestions?

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/20/02 10:49:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Which is the better 22 hunting bullet Nosler or Sierra?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've used the partition in larger calibers but not .223, so I don't have exact experience to help you, but, the main reason I've used partition bullets in the past was due to brush and so forth here in the south. Larger bullets at high velocity will come apart when it hits a twig or something, and will leave fragments large enough to still do some damage. With 60gn .223, I don't think there would be enough left to do any good. There may be some advantage to a clean shot if the bullet separates after game impact.

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/20/02 4:37:09 pm)
    Boy, Fred, If you can get the 60 Partition to group, that is definately what I would go with. It shoots well in my brothers 220 swift, but shoot poorly in my 22-250. Maybe if I load it slower it might group better. Usually my 22-250 shoots 55gr,50gr,40gr. better. Good luck. And if you find something that works, let me know.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/20/02 4:45:37 pm)
    Definately the Nosler Partition!

Never had much luck with the Sierra bullets - had a couple blow up on big game, tho and quit using them years ago. Maybe they've improved the jacket thickness by now.

Mesen
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/21/02 6:10:39 pm)
    thanks for the thoughts guys, I've heard that the noslers partitions have some accuracy "issues" especially in the smaller calibers, thoughts? any pet loads using say. . . 4198 or W748?
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

HondoJohn6508
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/8/02 9:11:01 pm)
    Well, I just had to reply to this post and my thoughts will probably surprise a few, but then again maybe not. My 223 is a Win Model 70,post 84,carbine with a 20"bbl. I purchased it in September,1987 and it has been my deer rifle of record here in central Texas. I have taken over 30 deer in the years since I have owned the gun. Now Hill Country Texas whitetail just don't get very big. All but three were taken with neck shots at 125yds or less,mostly less. My favorite bullet to reload is the WW 55gr SP. It has not been explosive at close ranges and the 2 bullets I was able to recover have been in Aoudad rams. One at roughly 200yds and the other at about 65 yds. Both had picture book expansion. The other bullet which was a surprise to me was the Rem 55gr HP. I got a buck and a doe,about 5 minutes apart,at about 60yds,both broadside,bullet entered just behind the shoulder into the lung area. Both bullets exited opposite side with a hole about the size of a 50cent piece. I was surprised to say the least as I didn't expect them to exit.
    Favorite load--WW cases and primers,BallC2 powder 27.0grs,55gr WW SP, chronographed loads 3050 to 3065 depending on temperature. Many groups measure 0.70 to 0.95 at 100yds.,3 shots,cold barrel. Bullet placement is everything with this cartridge and trying to not shoot much beyond 125-150yds. This cartridge/rifle combination works for me here in central Texas. Might not be the same for you wherever you hunt. Best regards, Ol' John

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/8/02 11:06:58 pm)
    Sounds like a winner to me, HondoJohn -

My Ruger V/T has an appetite for the Speer 52 gr SP's over just about any bullet made, including the Berger's. If you find a bullet the rifle likes, stick with it.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

HondoJohn6508
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/19/02 11:50:06 am)
    I have to add one more little tidbit on my Model 70,223. The best group I ever shot was .368,3 shots,c-to-c at 100yds. WW cases benchrest prepped,Remington SR BR primers, AA 2015 BR powder,Sierra 53gr FB matchkings. Some days the gods of accuracy smile and you get lucky!!!! Ol' John