Which number buckshot do you prefer?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by GoodOl'12gauge, Sep 4, 2009.

1. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

Im reloading some defensive 12 gauge ammo and was wondering what you guys use for pellet size? Im either going to use #3,#1, or 0 buck. I figure the #3 gives me 15 pellets for an 1 1/8 load. So which do you guys prefer?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Anything from #4 on up will work on unprotected people at close range. People wearing some type of armor - none of 'em will be any good. People at a distance - you want the larger pellets so you have more weight, as inertia is then on your side.

15 pellets would increase your likelihood of a hit over a 9 pellet 00 load, this is true. But your gun might not shoot #3 worth a flip. It might prefer #1. Shooting #3, with 15 pellets but with a pattern that is 14 inches wide, so you only hit with two pellets is not as good as shooting #1, with only 12 pellets, but with a pattern that is 3 inches wide, so you hit with 9 pellets.

My suggestion is to load some, with all the available sizes, and see how they shoot in your gun.
  3. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

BTW it is not wise to use reloads for defensive purposes, good way to get roasted in court, all a lawyer would have to do is look up this post.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we

GoodOl'12gauge, while I agree with both Alpo, and FTK87, remember that with an 18" barrel, at 20' your pattern, no matter the size of your shot, will probably be no more than 2", or 3". In other words your shot wad should hit like a solid. 20' just isn't enough distance for the shoot to open up. Also, I too, only use store bought ammo for SD. All of my re-loads are for plinking, target shooting, and hunting only.
  5. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    These days it's whatever I can find available that won't cost a lot...
  6. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

My SD loads are factory #4 or #1 buck

For SHTF: 3" 000 BUCK & copper HP's.

SR
  7. questor

questor Member

+1
  8. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I know that reloading your own ammo for defense purposes makes you look like a person with intent to kill someone. But all ammo is designed to kill, not injure someone. With the exception of those "less than lethal" rounds for shotguns, and some rubber bullets you can load with.
    So why should it be a problem to load your own defense ammo?Unfortunately, lawyers are behind this mess and look to prosecute people for what I feel is wrong. But no worries, you can drive to your local gun store and purchase ammo specifically called "Self Defense" and suddenly your in the clear. Completley stupid how our legal system works. It works for the criminals, not the victims.:mad:
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have not bought any loaded ammo in quite a while, I reload every thing I shoot. If it comes to defending myself or my family, I don't give a crap whether or not it is reloaded ammo. If the BG is dead, he sure as h@!! isn't going to sue me and I will worry about some other lawyer when that time comes.
  10. doug66

doug66 New Member

11. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

GDmoody i Agree with you completly. +1 Ive tried a bunch of loads and my #2buck loads put the best pattern at 25'. Right at 5 to 5 1/2 inches.
  12. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I can't say that I wouldn't use reloads to defend myself if that was all I had. One of the basic principles behind personal defense is being prepared. being prepared should also cover you after the fact, thus you should use factory rounds as insurance. I don't know whats worse, dying trying to defend myself or rotting away in prison for the rest of my life.
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Can anyone cite a court case where the shooter's use of reloads was an issue? I see on many boards, "Don't use reloads, the prosecutor will burn your ass", but never have I seen something like, "State of Texas vs. Frank Robertson, July 1996".
  14. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I too have never seen a case like that. I'm not claiming to have any law school or training, and if I can clearly see the potential for making a case on this, then surly a lawyer trained to put ideas in peoples head can make 12 "normal" people think thats what reloads are for.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

For HD, anything works. In a HD situation shots are generally so close the shot column doesnt spread out much and will hit the target pretty much like a frangible solid. The size of the shot will have an effect on penetration though, the bigger shot will penetrate more than the little stuff. My preferred HD load is #4 high brass game loads give reasonalbe penetration with good pellet cound and probably wont penetrate through a baddie.

I gotta advise against the use of handloads for self defense. If you ever do have to drop the hammer on someone in self defense you will be thoroughly raked over the courts for offing a bad guy, so why invite the possibility of an extra lawsuit for manufacturing mankiller ammo. believe me there is a lawyer out there that will paint you out to be a murderer and your self defense was pre-meditated by planning the ammo for it. That my brother could land you behind bars on a technicality for murder 1...