1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Which of these .380s are the best brand for the money

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Well, with my Makarov in the mail, soon, I'm in the market for .380 ammo.

Of these brands, which would you recommend?
    http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/ammo-for-handguns/380acp/cPath/25_29

If you don't want to follow the link, they're:

Brown Bear: 92gr Jacketed Hollow Point JHP, made in Russia, steel case, berdan primer, non-corrosive. $8.50 (Well, maybe not this one, unless it's copper hollow point)

S&B: 92gr Jacketed Hollow Point JHP, made in Russia, steel case, berdan primer, non-corrosive. $10.95 (Same here)

Wolf: 91gr FMJ, made in Russia, steel case, berdan primer, non-corrosive. $10.50

If I can help it, I'll go local, but J&G was where I always bought my favorite Czech 7.62x54r ammo from. Now they don't carry it, anymore. :(
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The S&B on that link is ball, not hollow point.

I'd get a box of each and see which one your gun prefers. Guns are picky. Some are accurate with anything. Some aren't. Some guns won't feed hollowpoints. Some like truncated cones better than round nose.

There is no "best". You experiment, find which types your gun will work with, and then which of them is the most accurate, or gives you accuracy you can live with for the price. That's the best for your specific gun.

But of those three choices, I'd get the S&B, because it is reloadable and I load. Only time I buy non-reloadable is if it is waaaaay cheap, or it is the only stuff available.
  3. punchie

punchie Member

4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

I bought a box of American Eagle from my dealer and also got a holster for my gun. I'll probably get to test the ammo around late May to early June (if not, sooner). Thanks for the input and I'll try to give a field report afterwards.
  5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I do not believe I would use steel case ammo in a nicer type pistol. I like to use something very similar to my self defense ammo.
  6. Old Soldier

Old Soldier New Member

Can't help you on some but I have bought Wolf Ammo from Cabelos on several occasions I found it not to be as good as many others and it was priced higher than some of the better ammo strickly in my opinon that is. I just didn't care for it as much. I do preffer the hollow points or hydra shock loads,much better knock down
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  7. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Ammo is available from Cabella's online if you don't live near a store. It's where I buy 22WRF JHP's.

I am anti-steel cased ammo big time. Especially in quality firearms. I don't like CCI's aluminum cased stuff either. Brass is the only way to go to care for your weapons.
  8. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Well, I can see that in a handgun, but for my M38 rifle, Steel is the only type of ammo thats safe for it, particularly since brass cased ammo tends to slit when fired.

PS: J&G sells my fav ammo, again. I'm buying a case on my next payday.
  9. john parker

john parker New Member

I have a Browning BDA, and have been quite happy with American Eagle. After breaking in the pistol, American Eagle feeds well, seems consistent in accuracy and is clean. Plus I find it reasonably priced. I am, however, going to try Remington next because I can get it locally and won't have to pay shipping. S&B is not Russian; believe it is either Czech or Yugoslav. I have used some in other calibers, and have had some misfires.
  10. DirtyDingus

DirtyDingus New Member

For PRACTICE ammo, Sellier and Belot is hard to beat. It is manufactured in the Czech Republic. For self defense, altho this gun is a wee bit below what I'd consider adequate, you'd want the best ammo your gun will shoot. Winchester, Federal, Cor-Bon all 3 make ammo I'd seriously consider. If the Ranger variety is made in 380, that would be excellent.