Which parts are "drop-in"???

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 9, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

BruddahAl
    (1/28/03 2:33:14 am)
    Reply Which parts are "drop-in"???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just got a 1911 and being new to this particular scene, I just wanted to know which parts are replaceable by the end user and which should be fitted by a gunsmith. Any info is greatly appreciated. I bought my 1911 because I had heard that many folks can customize it without having to go through a 'smith. Thanks.

Al

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/28/03 8:48:30 am)
    Reply Re: Which parts are "drop-in"???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi BruddahAl........welcome to TFF!

If you're using quality aftermarket parts, on a quality M1911, they're all drop-in. If you're considering modifying the existing parts, such as the trigger and/or sear, you might want have it checked out by a 'smith. Also.....there's a thread in "Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers" about polishing the feedramp. Read it and see if it's for you.....otherwise, have a gunsmith do it.

If you start off with a cheap gun, or are putting on cheap aftermarket parts, you may have to "file and fit" the aftermarked parts.

Edited by: Xracer at: 1/28/03 8:56:57 am

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/28/03 10:12:54 am)
    and another welcome to The Firearms Forum

We have plenty help here that is ready and willing to do all they can... so be sure to check back soon, and often.

We're glad to have you with us.

In case you haven't noticed, we have a "Google Search" feature at the bottom of our page that will help finding about anything you'd like to know.

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

BruddahAl
    (1/29/03 1:56:57 am)
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I'll think I'm gonna like it here!

Packet
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/29/03 7:31:13 pm)
    Welcome to the forum. In my opinion, there is no such thing as a drop in part. Sometimes you get lucky. In my experience, more often than not you will have to do some fitting, but this is a good thing. By taking the time to get a superior fit, your firearm will be more reliable and more of a pleasure to shoot, and after all, thats what it's all about.

OgerMan
    (2/24/03 6:51:12 pm)
    being a licensed gunsmith, I'd have to agree, all drop in part's, quality or not, lack the feel and tightness of a fitted part from the same maker IE, when you send a pistol off to be built at a quality custom shop, there not just going to drop in a bunch of there catalogue pre fitted parts, they just will lack the feel of a well built gun, triggers and grip safety's especially!every part added by a competent gunsmith if made to be fitted for this reason (honestly, we don't need the work, I'M SWAMPED!!) all these fittings are easy with a little reading, a set of armoire files,a little dychem blue, some finishing stones, and a good quality die grinder with some polishing compound and heads. don't fret, all the tools I listed can be had for under a hundred bucks, allot less then the cost of fitting an entire pistol! and if you don't feel up to tackle the bluing, I'll gladly help! you can build a 1911a1 from the ground up with drop in parts, but grab a custom gun sometimes and see what draw's the premium price tag!

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/25/03 4:16:27 pm)
    and if you are seeking to avoid that "premium price tag", then Xracer's post already nailed the relevant portions.

Been slowing changing my Series80 over the 18yrs I've had it, last change being a quality 'drop-in' beavertail grip safety. I'm quite happy with it, and it served me well during a couple seasons of IPSC Limited competition.

I've fit new barrel links to it, installed a solid guide rod, changed the mainspring housing, swapped rear sights 2x (when having the front sight repaired), new extractor, new hammer, and even fit a replacement solid barrel bushing when the last one failed.
    Rich