Which powder dump

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by army mp, Feb 3, 2010.

1. army mp

army mp Member

I am looking to replace a secondary powder dump. I use strictly for pistol powder It’s a Lee. Never again that thing has been a pain from day one. I have a Hornady LNL I use for rifle. I had a Lyman 55. Sold it. Big mistake. Well I was looking at another LNL or a new Lyman 55. Both run about $65.00. I have read guys have had some trouble with the Hornady and pistol powder. I use win 231 and some of the dots for pistol. In the LNL its been nothing but Varget and 3031. With out any problems. Any thoughts.
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i would go back to the lyman 55,i know you had one b-4 and you seem to regret gitting rid of it.live and learn my brother.BUY ANOTHER.I have had mine for years. old semperfi
  3. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I agree with the Lyman 55. Even if you pick up a used one, chances are good that it will still work just fine. I have 2 of them and have no reason to try any other.
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I on the lyman bus myself, always reliable and drops true everytime.

The hornady lnl bench rest powder measure has struck my interest but the price is a bit higher, seems to have great reviews overall.
  5. army mp

army mp Member

I may see if I can find the Lyman 55 used. I read some Reviews on Mid-way. The new ones look the same. But some guys say. They have older modals that worked great. But the new ones just don’t compare. The trouble with the LNL. I would need the pistol Metering insert. And with a new. LNL Powder dump and Metering unit. Now you are up around $100.00. I could just get the Pistol metering unit. But them I would be changing back and forth. And that would get old fast. I sold the old 55. Because I thought. I would set up Two lees. That way I would have one for large pistol loads and one for small. Ended up with two pieces of junk. They do drop a descent load nothing great. But the one leaks. And they just feel like a toy. live and learn..
  6. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Check out the RCBS "Little Dandy", I have one that is used just for med/light pistols loads......Simple, smooth, and FLAWLESS....tons of rotors availabe too.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    What ever floats your boat, they are all good. Sorry to hear you had problems with the Lee. I have one that I have been using for over 20 years, and it's still going strong. Plastic is starting to get a little brittle, and I might replace it with another one in a few years.
  8. army mp

army mp Member

Carver I get another powder dump I will make you a good deal on both the Lees . The one is almost new. The older one is leaking powder. You may be able to work the bugs out of it. I just miss my Lyman. Too much plastic for me. you can have both for $15.00 plus shipping.