Which press for a newby?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Chazz, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Chazz

Chazz New Member

Hey, all. I was sure happy to find this place.

I'm going to start reloading, mostly 10MM for my Glock. First question, of course, is which press to buy? From my limited research, I'm leaning toward the Rock Chucker Supreme Master kit. Just wondering if this is overkill at my stage. I won't be doing huge volumes. Probably add a couple more calibers later. Any guidance would be welcome. I'm also going to have to decide on components and sources, of course.
  2. Freebore

Freebore New Member

The RCBS kit would be an excellent choice to start out with, you can always expand into more progressive equipment if the need arises, but I'm sure you will always have a place for the Rockchucker press on your reloading bench.

Again, an excellent choice........
  3. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Thats the gun I started reloading for when I started. I went with the Lee Classic Turret. I would also recommend to get the Lee factory crimp die if you choose this press or any other press you may go with. I have been very happy with the quality for 10mm and all the other pistol and rifle ammo I make on this press. Very inexpensive and a great starter press or long term press. You can get about 180 to 200 rounds an hour with it once you get the hang of it.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Hey Chazz, welcome to the Forum. I don't know anything about the Rock Chucker line of presses, but anything that RCBS makes is good. I started reloading about 35 years ago with an old RCBS press that was given to me. Used it for a little while and bought a Lee which I still have and I am still using it.

Earlier this year I bought a used Lee progressive kit and was not impressed with it at all. I do not recommend Lee progressive stuff. I sold the Lee within 6 weeks and bought a Dillon RL550B and I am really happy with it. Even though is is a progressive, it can be used as a single stage just as easy as any single press. The only drawback is the amount of money you can sink into a Dillon very quickly.

If you do decide on the Rockchucker Kit, NO it is not overkill, you will need every thing that comes in that kit.

I only suggest that you start out buying yourself a couple of reloading manuals and do some reading before you buy the kit. I personally would recommend that the Lyman Reloading Handbook #49 be one of those manuals.
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

+1 excellent advice Welcome to TFF and enjoy!!
  6. Chazz

Chazz New Member

Thanks for your answers. The reference to the Lee factory crimp die confuses me though - I was under the impression that the standard set (3) dies from RCBS handled that problem. Back to the reading, eh?

Thanks again.
  7. olehippy

olehippy New Member

Rockchunker kits are an excellent way to start, another good choice (to me, I own one) is Lee’s Classic single stage press or better kit.

You would be wise to start out with a single stage press, be it Lee, RCBS or whatever. Single stage presses are much more ‘fool-proof’ when starting out – not saying you are one, but single stage loading allows you to better learn the fine points and verify each step of handloading, especially when learning the basics. And, if you later find a faster progressive press works better for you, you will still need that old single stage for occasional problems etc.

Whatever you choose, you’ll soon find yourself totally enjoying your new hobby. There are many, many experts on this forum and others (wish I was one of them I’m not) ready and willing to offer assistance and tips, don’t be a stranger!

Miles
  8. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

You can definitely make your rounds with the 3 die set which the seating die would seat and crimp the round. But a lot of guys prefer to separate the process and use a fourth die for the crimping process and the best die for this is the Lee FCD which you can use in any press you choose. Maybe not quit any press you choose but most anyway from what I understand. Since I use it on the Lee Classic Turret I can't be sure if it is a option for sure in the press you choose.
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Yep, back to the reading....;) a little fyi though:

The RCBS dies will produce fine ammo; it is not a MUST to have a factory crimp die. I'll let you do some reading on your own for a little bit and then if you have any questions; shoot, we'll get it explained for you.